Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Communities for the bargain basement crowd?

Communities for the bargain basement crowd?

Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Communities for the bargain basement crowd?

Originally Posted by TheCreature
...and you never want too. God awful place.
An old friend lives halfway between Skipton and Keighley and does not have a kind word to say about the latter.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I just looked too, beautiful grade II listed houses for £140k, several of them. Looks nice around there, too. I think it is one of the places featured in Bill Bryson's book Notes from a Small Island.
Port Sunlight. Rated one of the best areas in the UK to raise a family.
Chester zoo nearby, one of the world's best zoos and getting better. Frequent on-time trains to Liverpool and to London (with one change). Bus to Chester. Easy drive to North Wales, Manchester.

All driven by employment of course (there isn't much ). Really nice area if you are retired.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I watched Michael Portillo's new series on British railway trips, he visited Port Sunlight on Monday. It looked like a very interesting place, and I was surprised to find the houses can be had for < £180k.
That's about 4 miles from where I live, and it's absolutely gorgeous It's almost toytown like in appearance and on summer days you can sit watching the elderly gentlemen playing bowls.

Another village created by Lord Leverhulme is Thornton Hough (about 6 miles from me) This village is even prettier than Port Sunlight if that's possible, and I believe it was built for the managers and their families who worked for Lever's.
Take a look at it on google maps, you'll be very impressed
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev

I have gotten so used to the social isolation that comes with being an ex-pat that I reckon I could easily handle a bit of hill walking, fishing, walks on deserted beaches and trip into a small town once a week.

I quite like the idea of being a bit of a hermit and would enjoy getting even more eccentric and flakey as I get older.

I would spend my days wandering in the heather enjoying bracing weather and spend my evenings sitting in front of a blazing fire reading books about philosophy. I could also write my memoirs, drink gallons of tea, eat a packet of digestives every 2 days and slowly work my way through all the different single malts available.

I could smoke my own salmon, brew my own hops and stuff my own haggis lol. I could poach venison from the royal estates and collect baskets of kelp from the beaches to put on my garden, maybe have a cow for milking and a few sheep. Obviously a couple of huge dogs that love to run across the fields, an old fashioned green land rover and 2 pairs of wellies, one pair for gardening, one pair for best lol.

An archaic revival where I rediscover my pagan celtic roots, I could wear harris tweed and a flat cap and have a small dent in the back of my leg where my dog walks

Oh how I love dreaming, the imagination is what drove me to explore this planet in the first place and it's the one thing that hasn't diminished over the decades but if anything has grown stronger and whackier as the years of cultural starvation, mosquito bites and flies have weathered my brow.

Call me a sentimental old fool, my wife does, but she looks at some of the cottages i find on the scottish real estate pages and also sighs with a deep yearning for those misty snow capped mountains.

OK I'll stop rambling on (rambling - now that's another thing I could do), but at the moment when I daydream about returning to the UK those are the kinds of fantasies I entertain,

Am I the only ex-pat to have gone bonkers in this way or what ?
one of the best kept secrets is the Isle of Barra. Goolge is your friend on this one. Everything you asked for in your post, including white beaches, fish & fauna, even Freeview TV, ferry as well as an airport runway on the beach

http://www.explore-isle-of-barra.co.uk/

Is £100k - £150k about the right price, then look no further

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/pro...isle-of-barra/

another option would be Co Donegal Ireland & not too far from the N.I border

http://www.govisitdonegal.com/

nice property

http://www.property.ie/property-for-...onegal/731789/

or you could do the cheapy mainland UK SE coast, along the lines of ...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28024221.html
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
An old friend lives halfway between Skipton and Keighley and does not have a kind word to say about the latter.
Definitely not a place you want to move to, particularly if you have white, teenage, daughters.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
That's about 4 miles from where I live, and it's absolutely gorgeous It's almost toytown like in appearance and on summer days you can sit watching the elderly gentlemen playing bowls.

from our part of the world Elizabeth ...Ferry Across the Mersey

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39920752.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35215052.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39514681.html

Don't know why Birkenhead is so resonable

Last edited by not2old; Jan 8th 2014 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by not2old
from our part of the world Elizabeth ...Ferry Across the Mersey

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39920752.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35215052.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39514681.html

Don't know why Birkenhead is so resonable
Truthfully, Birkenhead is not the best place to live It's where I was born and for that reason I love it, however it has become a little rough around the edges lately. Having said that, if you move just a couple of miles from the town centre it becomes far more affluent with some properties selling for mega bucks!
Take a look at this one which is only about 2 miles from the centre, yet is well out of my reach

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39700984.html
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I've always been intrigued by all these different areas near Liverpool. Never been anywhere near there in my life. I visited Chester once, back in the late sixties, that's probably the closest I've been. Going to England on Friday for three months. I'm thinking a short visit to Liverpool is in order, then I can check out the city and go to Port Sunlight, for instance, maybe visit the Lady Lever Art Gallery! If you were going to Liverpool for four days, never been before, where would you go?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Truthfully, Birkenhead is not the best place to live It's where I was born and for that reason I love it, however it has become a little rough around the edges lately. Having said that, if you move just a couple of miles from the town centre it becomes far more affluent with some properties selling for mega bucks!
Take a look at this one which is only about 2 miles from the centre, yet is well out of my reach

I'd love to see the reaction of the owners of that place, if you suggested to them that they lived in Birkin'ead.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must admit I've always been intrigued by all these different areas near Liverpool. Never been anywhere near there in my life. I visited Chester once, back in the late sixties, that's probably the closest I've been. Going to England on Friday for three months. I'm thinking a short visit to Liverpool is in order, then I can check out the city and go to Port Sunlight, for instance, maybe visit the Lady Lever Art Gallery! If you were going to Liverpool for four days, never been before, where would you go?
I wouldn't. ...but if you are looking for places to live, stick to South of the city, in Cheshire.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Albert Docks. It's a long time since I was there but it was interesting to see the living museum and the renovated dockside. Chester is worth a trip, to see the "walled city", although I wouldn't include Chester as a place to live (bit overpriced).
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I had to laugh at your post. Some of the nicest people come from Birkenhead

OK, so we're posh now & should live in Hoylake, Meols, Greasby, Neston or the Albert Docks

Liverpool is as safe as Chester or Southport.

I'd pick Liverpool over Manchester, Birmingham, Bradford, Leeds or Hull.

A day (daylight hours) out in Liverpool is good. Museum, Gallery, do the Mathew St tour, Liverpool 1 tour, in & around about it, take in a pub near the docks even a ferry across the Meresy trip & back. Google is your friend on that

http://www.visitliverpool.com/things-to-do/attractions

All of that will be at least six hours worth

Last edited by not2old; Jan 8th 2014 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't. ...but if you are looking for places to live, stick to South of the city, in Cheshire.
So you're saying, you'd advise someone who had never been to Liverpool, not to bother to even visit?? That seems a bit radical.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

So you're saying, you'd advise someone who had never been to Liverpool, not to bother to even visit?? That seems a bit radical.
To be honest, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There's the Albert Dock, which really isn't anything special and not much else.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

To be honest, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There's the Albert Dock, which really isn't anything special and not much else.
true & so is Niagara Falls, Blackpool or any other tourist attraction

The Creature - have you ever been to Liverpool & spent some time there other than going through the John Lennon (Speke) Airport or Lime St station - or perhaps it was a bad experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.