Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Christians get on my tits (at work)

Christians get on my tits (at work)

Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:39 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christians get on my tits (at work)

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Yes, so,

I am waiting tables now. Like everything else I have done since being in the US 0f A, it is a whole new experience. Since coming over, as many of you know, at the grand old age of 38 I have learned to drive, worked on roofs and other construction projects and am now waiting tables............................And the moral of the story - don't give servers a hard time. They might just be new, not lazy or incompetent. Thanks for watching, you've been great
Christ, you're brave...........good luck and just keep telling yourself
"its only a movie.........its only a movie"
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:49 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, so,

I am waiting tables now. Like everything else I have done since being in the US 0f A, it is a whole new experience. Since coming over, as many of you know, at the grand old age of 38 I have learned to drive, worked on roofs and other construction projects and am now waiting tables. All good fun and a huge departure from my reasonably well paid job working for the council back home and sitting in an office for a long 7 hour day. Well, I say 7 hour day but with flexi time it usually panned out at about 5 hours with an hour and a half for lunch. As you can imagine it was gruelling.

Anyway, waiting tables is an interesting change and it is a great way to do a spot of people watching. But what, I hear you moan, has all this got to do with Christians? Well, read on. First of all though, a disclaimer. This is not intended to insult christians en masse or to suggest that this is a good or accurate generalisation of Christians on the whole. So piss before you start!!!

Onward then. Tonight everybody I served was very nice. Everybody, as usual, had many questions about the Uk and quite a few had been to visit. Good conversation, nice people and, of course, great accent based tips from middle aged women, phnar phnar.

Then in come four 'gentlemen'. They sit at one of my tables and off I go with a hand full of menus. Before too long it became apparent that they were going to be a bunch of total twats!!!
Usually I make a point of saying - I've only been working here for a couple of days so I am just finding my feet. Most people are really understanding, treat me well and work with me by actually reading the menu before asking dumb ass questions like: now, does the salad come with a dressing. Or: Does the Veggie Pasta contain any meat at all? Not these guys however. They went out of their way to ask me awkward questions in an aggressive manner about the menu.

Okay, I might be just whining here, and I wouldn't be if it was merely a case of a few asshole customers. I have had to deal with such people, one way or another, throughout my working life and before that, all through school. Prior to that while trying to eat soil sat in the street in my nappy with the other soil eating kids I came up with. So, nothing new there. The thing that really pissed me off though, after these idiots had spent half an hour messing me about and talking down to me like I was something they had just discovered stuck to the bottom of their collective shoe, I overhear them talking scripture. Talking about Jesus and what he meant when he said this that and the other. It became apparent that one of them was a pastor. I mentally went over the pro's and cons of getting fired on the spot. If there is one thing I cannot frikkin stand it is hypocrites. And they were loud Aaarrghhhh, I was fuming. They tipped me 4 bucks after paying with a 100 dollar bill. I kept my cool, smiled the whole time, said please and thank you and hoped my mother would be proud if she could see me practicing all that she had preached to me as I grew up: Manners make the man, she would say. Don't stoop to their level, I could almost hear her telling me.

It seems that all of the people surrounding them were as disgusted as I because, even though I was forced to neglect the other customers somewhat while trying to keep these tossers happy, I made 76 dollars in tips. Not bad for a few hours work.

So, christians get on my tits (at work).

And the moral of the story - don't give servers a hard time. They might just be new, not lazy or incompetent. Thanks for watching, you've been great
This spoils me for choice in reminiscing-first addressing the topic. The first on the christian -small c since they didn't deserve the big c . When the ex and I were newly married and had moved back to Ohio where he was from, he found a job working construction. This was back in '74 when the tornados had damaged much of central Ohio, so much work to be had. The crew he was on with were members of some small denonmination that took their Bible seriously (to a point), they listened to "preaching" tapes during lunch breaks, etc. Some guy drove a nail in straight and yelled "Praise the Lord", and the ex almost fell off a roof since it rather startled him. However, this adherence to "the word" did not stop the boss (who was a preacher), from charging first run prices for second run plywood.

The second was, I waitressed as well throughout my teen years. I always dreaded working the one place when the French Canucks came in. They usually had big parties of 6, or 8 or more and kept me running pretty constantly for more this and more that. They rarely tipped, or if they did it was nowhere near what it should have been. If they were from France, then I would guess it was down to thinking it was service compris, but it sure as hell wasn't and they weren't. :curse:
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I was a server in Atlanta for a few months when I was 20. Overall i had a great time but some people are just gobshites and some people are just very nice. Like the table of 3 children, parents and granparents who tipped me 25% when I had dropped a burger and fries litterally on one of the kids head or the table of 4 who left nothing after I'd bent over backwards to be nice to them and customize their order.

Speaking of christians, the place where I worked was in the CNN center which held a lot of conferences. I forget the name of the guy but one of those southern televangelists did a conference weekend, almost 3 days solid of people trying to get me to join his religion and spouting off stuff he had just talked about!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Waitressing is one of the ways I supported myself and two children over the years. I often worked three jobs in one week, full time secretarial, waitressing at a conference center three nights a week and on Saturday mornings at a local mom and pop eatery. I've also worked as a server in finer restaurants and have to say that well I loved the interaction with people the best tippers were the average joes. You know the people like ourselves who know what it means to be on your feet all day or night and rely on tips to boost the meager paycheck. In those days, before Reagan, we didn't have to account for our tips in the same manner so we were given by law 1/2 of the minimum wage plus tips.

Fortunately, here in the NYC area you don't have to worry about the Sunday only christians. That's how I think of them. Its like my hubby's grandmother use to say:

A christian sows their wild oats all week long and then goes to church on Sunday to pray for crop failure.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The second was, I waitressed as well throughout my teen years. I always dreaded working the one place when the French Canucks came in. They usually had big parties of 6, or 8 or more and kept me running pretty constantly for more this and more that. They rarely tipped, or if they did it was nowhere near what it should have been. If they were from France, then I would guess it was down to thinking it was service compris, but it sure as hell wasn't and they weren't. :curse:
Yup, you got a hand to the French Canucks. They are a work of art unto themselves. I have first hand knowledge of that being married to a Canuck who was born in Montreal. Thank the heavens, he's English/Irish and not French. But I see it all the time in Quebec when we go out to dinner. Large tabs, small tips (when the in-laws are paying) so we often slip something under the plate before we leave or Jim will pick up the tab for the evening.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:24 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all and thanks for the replys and support. I am touched.

I am enjoying it so far thought to be honest. There are tossers of course but for the most part people are pretty nice and appreciate that you are doing job of work. I love to interact with people anyway so it is mostly fun. I met a really nice family from New Joisey last night and it was interesting to chat to them. So, despite my moaning about four idiots, all in all it aint oo bad.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........I love to interact with people anyway so it is mostly fun. I met a really nice family from New Joisey last night and it was interesting to chat to them. So, despite my moaning about four idiots, all in all it aint oo bad.
I wonder what they make of you!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wonder what they make of you!
And can they understand him or dose he put on a bit of a twang.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Yup, you got a hand to the French Canucks. They are a work of art unto themselves. I have first hand knowledge of that being married to a Canuck who was born in Montreal. Thank the heavens, he's English/Irish and not French. But I see it all the time in Quebec when we go out to dinner. Large tabs, small tips (when the in-laws are paying) so we often slip something under the plate before we leave or Jim will pick up the tab for the evening.
Oh, I always have to do this with my inlaws. Weird how I'm always the one who has to go to the loo and 'meet them at the car' whenever we eat out. They're still tipping at 70's prices
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:14 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Oh, I always have to do this with my inlaws. Weird how I'm always the one who has to go to the loo and 'meet them at the car' whenever we eat out. They're still tipping at 70's prices
My grandmother always tipped 35 cents, period.

My mother's beau only tips a buck so Mom is always trying to discreetly add to it when they go out.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:49 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I find being at a table with bad tippers extremely embarrassing. That said... there has been one single time when I've tipped badly. It was completely earned. Or not earned, rather. We tipped 1 cent. Just about everything that could have been wrong, was. And definitely not just the food. Small modifications to our meals that we asked for, weren't made, and weren't on the bill, so the server never inputted them. Our wine arrived halfway through the meal, etc. etc. Our server also tried his level best to get his colleagues to serve our table, and just take the order and bring us the bill. Cheeky bastard. So he paid for it.

I used to run the bar in the Newport Bay Club at EuroDisney (now Disneyland Paris) and the differences between the nationalities in there was amazing. In a hotel with over 1,000 rooms, the Dutch often thought it was OK to walk off from a table without paying, and add it to their "tab" later. Honestly, with 2,500 people staying in the hotel, they expected us to keep track of their tab? And we always had the front desk notify us when a busload or two of Spaniards was arriving or leaving, and we'd get the warm milk ready... honest. One order after another of "Leche caliente", dead weird.

Then there were the locals, who hated Disney policy of giving them a new glass each time, and just wanted "their glass" rinsed and refilled. At 25FF for a demi (25cl) of Heineken, though, I'm rather surprised they could afford to go there at all (this was in the early 90s).

The Americans could, of course , be spotted a mile off but were always really polite, called the staff "darlin'" and tipped heavily.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
The Americans could, of course , be spotted a mile off but were always really polite, called the staff "darlin'" and tipped heavily.
That is so sweet.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:53 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all and thanks for the replys and support. I am touched.

I am enjoying it so far thought to be honest. There are tossers of course but for the most part people are pretty nice and appreciate that you are doing job of work. I love to interact with people anyway so it is mostly fun. I met a really nice family from New Joisey last night and it was interesting to chat to them. So, despite my moaning about four idiots, all in all it aint oo bad.
.......sorry........having a bit of difficulty with that one......could you explain? Perhaps with slides?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:56 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
And can they understand him or dose he put on a bit of a twang.
I definately have to speak slower and annunciate more than i do at home with Mrs Sod. I don't think the northern, specially a manc accent is very common here so they have a few probs with it. If I really want to be understood I just talk like the Geico Gecco - they all get that dumb cockney racket
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I definately have to speak slower and annunciate more than i do at home with Mrs Sod. I don't think the northern, specially a manc accent is very common here so they have a few probs with it. If I really want to be understood I just talk like the Geico Gecco - they all get that dumb cockney racket
Yeah right they do you are talking to a cockney here mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.