Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:27 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Originally Posted by Anthony919
see post 57
so let's just take a couple of examples (don't have time or inclination to address them all) of your rant about Britain vs the country you've moved to to escape them.

people getting into their SUVs to drive short distances - people never do that here, do they?

vapid celebrity culture - so to escape this you're moving to a country no less in thrall to talent and reality TV shows and where people like Jon & Kate Gosselin are headline news? You've never noticed the huge array of celebrity gossip mags on sale at the supermarket checkout?

kids in the USA don't have cellphones?

Minor colleges calling themselves universities: bizarre. Do you ever step outside your front door?

"There never seems to be any money for anything worthwhile, but plenty of money is being squandered on immoral purposes" Iraq war versus infrastructure, education and healthcare, anyone?

violence in schools: fatal shootings in UK schools in living memory: 1 (and none by schoolchildren themselves). Let's not go there with the USA's score on this issue.

Jamie Bulger: yes, absolutely horrible but an isolated incident 16 years ago and whose circumstances have not been repeated (at least not in Britain)

We're not "citizens", but "subjects"? My passport says "British Citizen" in it. What does yours say?

and your comment about the BBC is simply deranged. Does make me wonder though if there are North Korean versions of "Only Fools and Horses" and "One Foot in the Grave".

And to all the Americans on here - I am NOT trying to slag off the USA here, just pointing out that most of the things poor old Anthony takes exception to in the UK are for the most part simply issues the UK has in common with other English-speaking societies.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman

And to all the Americans on here - I am NOT trying to slag off the USA here, just pointing out that most of the things poor old Anthony takes exception to in the UK are for the most part simply issues the UK has in common with other English-speaking societies.
You haven't said anything that's not true. Seems like all first world countries to me ... not just the English speaking ones.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:44 pm
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
What a weird thread.
Why is it weird - it was requested and its factual.

Why so much hatred and dissing of the UK?
They've done it to themselves and they can't or won't see how bad things are.
Your comment typifies why the UK won't move or update.

I think Joe Public, individually, is OK, but there is no "united" kingdom and the issues & observations I pointed out are real not imaginary.

Don't you people realize there is no utopia, no perfect place to live. Governments will always do wrong by some people, there will always be something to comlpain about where ever you live.
Its not about utoipia luvvy. Other less rich countries don't leave rubbish to pile up for 2 weeks which builds up a stench, becomes an eyesore and rats are having a party in the streets...and nor do other governments and local councils (arrgghh!) blatantly give citizens the V sign or the finger.

Maybe just be grateful you are not living in a third world country....
Some alleged 3rd world countries have better civil behavior and standards of public conduct than decrepit and shambolic Britain.

..and as for the poster complaining about Britain not moving foward from WW2....you're having a laugh aren't you??? How old are you? Sheesh..
No I am not. This is widely known to be true and if you care to do your own research instead of making flippant unfounded comments, you also would learn this shocking truth. How old are you missy?

I think the UK just made its last loan payment to the USA for the loan it gave to the UK after the war.

Last edited by Anthony919; Aug 16th 2009 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:48 pm
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
see post 57
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it weird - it was requested and its factual.

They've done it to themselves and they can't or won't see how bad things are.
Your comment typifies why the UK won't move or update.

I think Joe Public, individually, is OK, but there is no "united" kingdom and the issues & observations I pointed out are real not imaginary.

Its not about utoipia luvvy. Other less rich countries don't leave rubbish to pile up for 2 weeks which builds up a stench, becomes an eyesore and rats are having a party in the streets...and nor do other governments and local councils (arrgghh!) blatantly give citizens the V sign or the finger.

Some alleged 3rd world countries have better civil behavior and standards of public conduct than decrepit and shambolic Britain.

No I am not. This is widely known to be true and if you care to do your own research instead of making flippant unfounded comments, you also would learn this shocking truth. How old are you missy?

I think the UK just made its last loan payment to the USA for the loan it gave to the UK after the war.

Well sonny....I don't make flippant remarks. I grew up watching the Uk grow after WW2.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:24 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

IN my experience, if there really is one thing that typifies a lot of British folk, it's the inabilty to realise just how good they've got it. And to complain about how things are so much better in other countries, and how the UK is going to the dogs. If you want a good example of this, see post 57 (36 & 44).

Last edited by dgsyd1; Aug 16th 2009 at 5:26 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:27 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

What a weird thread.

Why so much hatred and dissing of the UK?

Don't you people realize there is no utopia, no perfect place to live.
Governments will always do wrong by some people, there will always be something to comlpain about where ever you live.

Maybe just be grateful you are not living in a third world country....

..and as for the poster complaining about Britain not moving foward from
WW2....you're having a laugh aren't you??? How old are you? Sheesh..
That would be me...I'm 48 and living in a town,one of many in Cornwall frozen in time, every single thing is built, or just after the WW2 era, your point being?? roads the same size as then, traffic not, people living in poorly insulated housing from many many housing estates built throughout the UK at around this time, you get one house built new down here and the locals talk as if it totally blows their minds... sorry but it is true
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
That would be me...I'm 48 and living in a town,one of many in Cornwall frozen in time, every single thing is built, or just after the WW2 era, your point being?? roads the same size as then, traffic not, people living in poorly insulated housing from many many housing estates built throughout the UK at around this time, you get one house built new down here and the locals talk as if it totally blows their minds... sorry but it is true
Then you need to get out of the village a bit more, maybe move to another part of UK, you don't abandon a whole country just cause you live near a few weirdos
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:14 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Production methods, technology, economic reform, investment and permitting a brain drain to take place.

The Pacific region countries have been walking all over the UK for decades now.
The developing world has been playing catch-up for the past 20-30 years and will still be playing catch-up for the next 20+. It's the globalisation of trade that the UK (amongst others) has promoted that has enabled these countries to move forward so quickly.

Britain is sad and pathetic because it lost its power & position in the world and didn't know what to do when that power started ebbing away.
People like to live in the past and hold onto the notion of what the country used to be like a long time ago, rather than what it is like now.
Many countries have been the center of the world and had their period in the sun - Italy with the Romans', Spain and France had their empires, Russia had its empire, the US currently has its version of empire. Certainly the UK no longer rules 1/4 of the worlds population and I can see that post-war the UK had to spend quite some time getting used to its new position in the world. That said, the UK still punches way above its weight and is hardly "sad and pathetic".

What is Britain like now?

A country full of parochial/impersonal/indifferent shop keepers, benefits scroungers, chavs, mums who drive 4 wheel drive vehicles (who don't know how to drive them) & which effectively turn them into road blocks, driving a single 5 yr old child 500 yds to a school, along with millions of others and who cause most of the traffic congestion in many British cities.
It's a shame that the media has persuaded parents that there is a pedophile on every street corner making them too scared to let their kids walk to school. It's untrue and we will end up with a generation of fat kids who are wet and lacking in adventure.

"Leaders" with no backbone or real ideas.
I suspect you are not a Blair/Labour fan - the guy went to war twice (wrongly imo), started devolution (wrong imo), started university charging (wrong imo), banned smoking, banned fox hunting, extended drinking hours, brought in a minimum wage, permitted gay marriage, and the UK had its largest ever period of sustained economic growth. The fact that they are not Tories does not mean they didn't have backbone or made decisions.

Schools are now more or less war zones, with teachers held in very low regard by parents and children (thanks to Labour) and who are sworn at, attacked and who no longer carry authority.
Bit of DM hyperbole there.

Neighbors who don't know/don't talk to each other, councils seeking to bleed every tiny bit of money from residents for things that should be provided through the ever rocketing and fraudulent system called "council tax", & also charging residents to park in front of their own homes.
I live in a city in the US, I don't speak to my neighbours - that's prety normal for city living. My mother lives in a small town in the UK (moved only 6 months ago) and knows all her neighbours quite well.

Empty headed, vacuous and immoral minded people being held up as model men & women in every newspaper, magazine and on alleged television "programmes".
British society is obsessed with media, celebrity bollocks, denigrating, highly destructive and depressing soap operas, plus wall to wall football talk whatever station I tune into.
You know live in the US right?

What makes you think that other developing or Pacific region countries don't have the same mindless drivel for the masses?

The BBC is a terrible and destructive organization, a type of parasitic organization that exists nowhere else in the free world - maybe North Korea has a similar organization?
How/why? - give us some examples why it is "terrible and destructive".

Minor colleges now being called universities.
Now you are talking, this is clearly an indicator as to the demise of the UK. Luckily the top UK universities still do pretty well in world wide comparisons.

There never seems to be any money for anything worthwhile, but plenty of money is being squandered on immoral purposes, "expenses" and sheer wastage on a daily annual basis for decades.
I see you've got sucked into the whole expenses "crisis". What would you spend money on?

Parks and recreation places falling apart.
Graffiti is everywhere, some drug culture references being accepted as OK.
People have sex in clubs, bars and in school and this is not challenged.
I was trying to have sex in clubs 25 years ago, just wasn't very succesful I don't see the same level of graffiti in the UK as I don in other countries.

Children seen as OK to be given mobile phones.
Do we wonder why we lost the empire!

The 1993 murder of little Jamie Bulger marked a turning point in my mind of how sick and immoral British society had become.
That was pretty sick, but of course the media loved to wallow in it incesantly for the next 10+years. I was in LA at Christmas, a guy dressed as Father Christmas went into a house and killed 9 people. It made the news for about a week and then disappeared. In the UK it would be prime time for around 6 months with lots of liberals wringing their hands on TV and lots of conservatives saying we should bring back corporal (& capital) punishment and how it was the fault of the EU..... It would have been brought back every Christmas for the next 10 years and the Daily Mail would "prove" we were in a "crisis" and that society was "fragmented" etc etc.

All sorts of people are allowed to enter the country for any bullshit reason and with nothing asked of them in return and who are then willingly given lots of money and a home/car/phone and these same people then give the country the finger, attend demonstrations to try to bring down the country and also insist on wearing full face scarfs and other "garments" to cover up their faces because "its part of their religion" and because it "makes them free".
Oh please, are you guys still lying about the free cars etc - turn the record over.

Britain is a country that is merely "used" now by many millions, rather than like being loved or liked and treated with respect - but you can't get respect if you don't respect yourself first and Britain, through an acquiescent population, hasn't done that for decades.
I think a lot of the BE crew like and respect the UK.

Now I hear that they don't collect rubbish every week but every 2 weeks. You know, much poorer countries collect everyone's rubbish and the streets are washed, every day.
Alternate weekly collection is a method of incentivising the seperation of recyclables and minimising collection costs. It is collected more frequently in poorer countries as people are paid next to nothing to do it and have to scrabble through the waste at the tip to recover enough materials to sell for food.

Car owners, certainly in London, being treated as cash cows and almost like criminals for owning a vehicle. There is a lot of money taken/stolen from people in one form or the other by the pathetic government, but there's nowt to show for it and the country is crap - so where's it all going then?
It's not "stolen" - its called taxation and all countries have it, please try and be a little mature in your rantings. There is plenty to show for it through roads, policing, fire, military, NHS, pensions, social workers, flood defence and on and on...

The biggest problem for me is that no-one really complains about all these things and so the population just grit they teeth while seething venom underneath.
Of course the Daily Mail, the SUN, the Torygraph etc never say a word.

And of course, the class system, which turns everyone against each other and erects walls & boundaries between one class and another and how we are all "subjects" and not citizens.
I notice that it tends to be the older population that still harks on about the class system, it must have effected you deeply when you were younger, however for those under 40 (maybe older) the class system is inconseqential. Note that all countries have one, even the USA.

There's a lot wrong more with Britain but it that list enough for you?
Sorry bud, but it was all pretty weak and ranty with little or no substance.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:17 pm
Banned

Well sonny....I don't make flippant remarks. I grew up watching the Uk grow after WW2.
As I said, Brits have an inability to take and respond constructively to valid criticism and this is why they are languishing at the bottom of the league of desirable placed to live.

Instead of getting defensive, missy, and issuing empty statements that mean nothing, perhaps you should try and address those things that I pointed out.
Then we might get somewhere.

Of course, this is not possible if you choose not to recognise them to start with.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, Brits have an inability to take and respond constructively to valid criticism and this is why they are languishing at the bottom of the league of desirable placed to live.

Instead of getting defensive, missy, and issuing empty statements that mean nothing, perhaps you should try and address those things that I pointed out.
Then we might get somewhere.

Of course, this is not possible if you choose not to recognise them to start with.

I needed a good laugh, thanks for that.

How can I recognise something that is not happening in the way you describe. How is it any way different to what is happening here in the US?
You must read the DM or the Sun or something....
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, you must've missed all the times New York City made the news..

(On the same page, notice other less rich countries like Canada, Greece, Italy)

To be fair, it happens.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of getting defensive, missy,
Hey, that's twice with that one. Play nice please so we can all enjoy a good argument.

thanks,
meauxna
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm sorry, you must've missed all the times New York City made the news..

http://s2.buzzfeed.com/static/enhanc...9169017-13.jpg

(On the same page, notice other less rich countries like Canada, Greece, Italy)

To be fair, it happens.

Nooooo.....but I'm sure it lasted longer and the stench was worse in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.