Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the British Isles long past it's better days or not?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There might be more chance of us believing that if you hadn't previously made it clear that you don't like Pakistanis.
I thought he was Pakistani until he he revealed that he was a shirt tail relative of ours.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:16 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
I thought he was Pakistani until he he revealed that he was a shirt tail relative of ours.
Thought you were calling me a shirt lifter for a mo !

Phew !

Isn't it a pity that we can't talk about changes in society without the 'racist' accusation being thrown around

Has anyone seriously discussed whether Britain might be better off in it's Moslem future without them being called racist. My daughter lives on a white council estate and my cousin's job is to visit all the houses in that street where the heroin addicts live and check on their bail. I lived on a council estate for 10 years. My view is not from the outside

Although I wouldn't like to live in a wholly Moslem community myself, I don't believe that is a racist view and I genuinely think that the kind of council estates I am talking about would be vastly improved if they were predominantly Moslem

It's like these topics can't be discussed and anyone who mentions it is automatically branded as BNP or Daily Mail even when they are the opposite.

That's a cheap shot just like crying 'witch'

My genes are 75% immigrant - Irish Welsh Norse Norman - each of these contributed to the UK so why shouldn't Pakistanis in the fullness of time. However, had I been Saxon when the Vikings were invading, I might have taken the view that I preferred the Saxon way when it came to burial/cremation etc - but that was just an interim period and a couple of hundred years later it was different

The subject is - does Britain have a future or is it washed up. The future of Britain is as a more and more Moslem State. It's unavoidable whatever people's views are and the BNP has no chance - so discussing what it might look like is interesting and we shouldn't shut the discussion down because some people don't feel comfortable with the subject and just shout 'witch' when they haven't taken the time to think it through
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
Thought you were calling me a shirt lifter for a mo !

Phew !

Isn't it a pity that we can't talk about changes in society without the 'racist' accusation being thrown around

Has anyone seriously discussed whether Britain might be better off in it's Moslem future without them being called racist. My daughter lives on a white council estate and my cousin's job is to visit all the houses in that street where the heroin addicts live and check on their bail. I lived on a council estate for 10 years. My view is not from the outside

Although I wouldn't like to live in a wholly Moslem community myself, I don't believe that is a racist view and I genuinely think that the kind of council estates I am talking about would be vastly improved if they were predominantly Moslem

It's like these topics can't be discussed and anyone who mentions it is automatically branded as BNP or Daily Mail even when they are the opposite.

That's a cheap shot just like crying 'witch'

My genes are 75% immigrant - Irish Welsh Norse Norman - each of these contributed to the UK so why shouldn't Pakistanis in the fullness of time. However, had I been Saxon when the Vikings were invading, I might have taken the view that I preferred the Saxon way when it came to burial/cremation etc - but that was just an interim period and a couple of hundred years later it was different

The subject is - does Britain have a future or is it washed up. The future of Britain is as a more and more Moslem State. It's unavoidable whatever people's views are and the BNP has no chance - so discussing what it might look like is interesting and we shouldn't shut the discussion down because some people don't feel comfortable with the subject and just shout 'witch' when they haven't taken the time to think it through
Why do you think this?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Why do you think this?
I think the demographics point to it very strongly

The 'old' (mainly white) population has a very low replacement rate per woman - around 1.4 if I remember rightly - not enough to replace itself actually

The Moslem immigrants have a much higher rate of fertility per woman

The mathematics are such that the percentage of the population who are descended from immigrants will rise very steeply in the next 50 years

Again, I need to state that I don't see that as a bad thing
and indeed it can have many benefits to existing pensioners who need a new tranche of workers to contribute to pensions

Also, Moslem immigrants are less likely to be engaged in all the activities that people complain about - especially the drunkenness and fornicating on the beach in Zakinthos etc etc

I feel like I am walking a tightrope when talking about this subject as everyone is so used to leaping on people who discuss these changes in society as 'racist' - as though an interest in the subject is always saying something against the immigrants (which I am not).

Do you think the percentage will stay at around 7% or do you think it will increase/decrease and will that change society and in what way ?

I reckon it can only improve as far as the things we are talking about on this post are concerned

My last residences in England were Blackburn and Bradford with very high percentages of Asians or people of Asian ancestry (I think Blackburn has the record in the UK) - so I am familiar with being among Asian people and observing their habits - which were very well behaved in my opinion.

Of course it's a generalisation to say Asians are well behaved and I was defrauded by two - but I have been short changed by many white people too

Nevertheless I think it's a fair generalisation to say Asians are not as frequently drunk as the indigenous population (though I had a drinking buddy who was a Sikh and he could knock em back)
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I think the demographics point to it very strongly

The 'old' (mainly white) population has a very low replacement rate per woman - around 1.4 if I remember rightly - not enough to replace itself actually

The Moslem immigrants have a much higher rate of fertility per woman

The mathematics are such that the percentage of the population who are descended from immigrants will rise very steeply in the next 50 years

Again, I need to state that I don't see that as a bad thing
and indeed it can have many benefits to existing pensioners who need a new tranche of workers to contribute to pensions
I am not sure the numbers really work out that way as they seem to assume:

(1). That muslim women will continue to have a higher fertility rate, when studies show that the benefits of female education normally reduce fertility rates.

(2). That muslim women will continue to have a higher fertility rate and that none of the domestic culture will rub off on them and start to reduce this over the next couple of generations.

(3). That there will be no inter-breeding between Muslims and non-Muslims which will change the observant culture and/or religion.

(4). That Muslims will continue to be pious and observant, rather than following the UK trend of less belief in religion as generations pass.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I am not sure the numbers really work out that way as they seem to assume:

(1). That muslim women will continue to have a higher fertility rate, when studies show that the benefits of female education normally reduce fertility rates.

(2). That muslim women will continue to have a higher fertility rate and that none of the domestic culture will rub off on them and start to reduce this over the next couple of generations.

(3). That there will be no inter-breeding between Muslims and non-Muslims which will change the observant culture and/or religion.

(4). That Muslims will continue to be pious and observant, rather than following the UK trend of less belief in religion as generations pass.
Hey thanks for that - those are very valid points and where it gets REALLY interesting

We can predict, but really only time will tell

Yes when it comes to 'forced' arranged marriages etc, the British born Muslims appear to be kicking against it - so I am sure that other parts of the culture will erode too - but which parts and how much I just can't predict

Certainly Catholics have 'eroded' the practice of their religious beliefs because the country with the lowest birth rate in Europe is --- ITALY !

However the 'tight knit' aspect of Asian communities and the fact that ethnically they are not the same as the native community in the way that most Catholics are, may well preserve their culture much longer

The younger folk can witness all this as it unfolds - I will be dead and my ashes scattered in the Pacific and I will never know how it pans out and how Britain fares in the future - but as far as the council estates are concerned - they are bumping along the bottom and the only way is up.