British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

Stuck in Auckland Jan 20th 2019 5:29 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12624538)
IMO the only international airport in the North of England is Manchester.

Leeds flys to Cardiff

durham_lad Jan 20th 2019 6:21 pm

Yes, we predominately fly out of Manchester. The Transpennine express train runs regular services from the airport to and from Middlesbrough​​​​​, with stops at all the main cities enroute. Living close to Houston for so long I have made lots of trips through Durham Tees Valley (near Darlington) via Amsterdam as KLM fly direct from Houston.

Jerseygirl Jan 20th 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12624554)
Leeds flys to Cardiff

:lol:

International destination indeed. :D

Novocastrian Jan 21st 2019 3:35 pm

IMHO the airport in Manchester is in the Midlands, not the North of England. Newcastle International on the other hand...

spouse of scouse Jan 21st 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12624980)
IMHO the airport in Manchester is in the Midlands, not the North of England. Newcastle International on the other hand...

Newcastle's more Far North surely, Novo :D

Novocastrian Jan 21st 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12624986)
Newcastle's more Far North surely, Novo :D

Channelling my inner hippy, I prefer Far Out.

spouse of scouse Jan 21st 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12624990)
Channelling my inner hippy, I prefer Far Out.

Groovy, man.

yellowroom Jan 22nd 2019 10:44 am

I've travelled abroad from Leeds Bradford, Doncaster and Humberside airports. For long-haul, I fly from Humberside to Schipol - and you can get anywhere from there. KLM provide a feeder service to Schipol from lots of small local airports in the UK, and for me it is quicker to do that connection than to battle the M62/M60, potentially needing either an extremely early start or a hotel stay the night before. I can leave my front door, cross the Humber Bridge, get parked, drop off luggage, get through security and be at the gate within 40 minutes. On the return, similar timing from touchdown to key in the door.

The only downside is that when returning from the US, the flights to Schipol go along the Humber and on a clear day I can see my house - but I have a couple of hours and another flight before I can get there. That can be tough after a business trip when you just want to get home. However, I still get home several hours before I would from my alternative routes via Manchester.

scot47 Jan 22nd 2019 10:51 am

When doing my international traveller bit my policy was "Any Airport rather Than Heathrow" Schiphol with KLM was one. Emirates from Glasgow was another.

Beraider Jan 22nd 2019 10:56 am

Slightly off topic but following on from the previous post regarding airports.

I usually fly into LHR but this trip my destination is Cleveland so was looking at Manchester or Newcastle as options. Both require a change in Dublin rather than direct flights. Does anyone have past experiences I may find helpful in making a choice? Plan to rent a car at airport and drive on day of arrival, return car in Cleveland after three or four days.

durham_lad Jan 22nd 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Beraider (Post 12625419)
Slightly off topic but following on from the previous post regarding airports.

I usually fly into LHR but this trip my destination is Cleveland so was looking at Manchester or Newcastle as options. Both require a change in Dublin rather than direct flights. Does anyone have past experiences I may find helpful in making a choice? Plan to rent a car at airport and drive on day of arrival, return car in Cleveland after three or four days.

The last 2 times our daughter visited us from LA she changed in Dublin to Manchester and said it was just fine both coming and going. She then got the Transpennine express direct to Middlesbrough. Each time here she finished her stay in Edinburgh visiting family and went back Edinburgh to Dublin to LA.

Beraider Jan 22nd 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12625428)

The last 2 times our daughter visited us from LA she changed in Dublin to Manchester and said it was just fine both coming and going. She then got the Transpennine express direct to Middlesbrough. Each time here she finished her stay in Edinburgh visiting family and went back Edinburgh to Dublin to LA.

Thanks for that Durham_lad.

Anyone have knowledge of Newcastle airport? It's only a 50 mile ride to Cleveland from there so I'm sorely tempted to take a chance there rather that drive across from Manchester

Jerseygirl Jan 22nd 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12625415)
I've travelled abroad from Leeds Bradford, Doncaster and Humberside airports. For long-haul, I fly from Humberside to Schipol - and you can get anywhere from there. KLM provide a feeder service to Schipol from lots of small local airports in the UK, and for me it is quicker to do that connection than to battle the M62/M60, potentially needing either an extremely early start or a hotel stay the night before. I can leave my front door, cross the Humber Bridge, get parked, drop off luggage, get through security and be at the gate within 40 minutes. On the return, similar timing from touchdown to key in the door.

The only downside is that when returning from the US, the flights to Schipol go along the Humber and on a clear day I can see my house - but I have a couple of hours and another flight before I can get there. That can be tough after a business trip when you just want to get home. However, I still get home several hours before I would from my alternative routes via Manchester.

I hate non-direct flights. Understand that it may be better than driving for hours. ;)

durham_lad Jan 22nd 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Beraider (Post 12625449)
Thanks for that Durham_lad.

Anyone have knowledge of Newcastle airport? It's only a 50 mile ride to Cleveland from there so I'm sorely tempted to take a chance there rather that drive across from Manchester

I've flown in and out of Newcastle many times, mostly on business, picking up a hire car, and it is very easy.

Beraider Jan 22nd 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12625475)
I've flown in and out of Newcastle many times, mostly on business, picking up a hire car, and it is very easy.

Thanks, Newcastle looks like a great option for me, could even take a taxi rather than all the hassle of renting a car and returning it.