British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

yellowroom Jan 23rd 2019 10:40 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12625466)
I hate non-direct flights. Understand that it may be better than driving for hours. ;)

Agree it very much depends on your personal preferences, and in different circumstances I have previously taken the direct flight and lived with the car journey. I actually think living in the north that you have more choice in this kind of thing, rather than when I lived "dahn sarf" and it was Heathrow or nothing for my US flights.

GeniB Jan 23rd 2019 4:10 pm

[QUOTE=UkWinds5353;12623348]Hi
The world travelers left for France on Tuesday and by all accounts are having way too much fun. They went to a restaurant in Paris last night that had what they called the best dessert either has ever experienced. It was a chocolate mousse. I've never eaten one of those. I asked them if it was better than Crispy Crème donuts lol.
They leave for Toulouse tomorrow. One night there, then on to Belgium.[/QUOTE

Where in Belgium ? Oh my lord if they want chocolate this is the dream country...Hope they get to see Antwerp..That was food heaven for us, far better than France :lol:

christmasoompa Jan 23rd 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12626024)
I actually think living in the north that you have more choice in this kind of thing, rather than when I lived "dahn sarf" and it was Heathrow or nothing for my US flights.

I guess maybe Bristol/Luton/Stansted/Birmingham don't fly to the US, but surely Gatwick did?

brits1 Jan 23rd 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12624986)
Newcastle's more Far North surely, Novo :D

Practically Scotland lol

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 23rd 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12626258)
I guess maybe Bristol/Luton/Stansted/Birmingham don't fly to the US, but surely Gatwick did?

I've flown LGW to Tampa, FL a few years back, also Denver, I seem to remember a whole host of US destinations from Gatwick.

durham_lad Jan 23rd 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12626284)
I've flown LGW to Tampa, FL a few years back, also Denver, I seem to remember a whole host of US destinations from Gatwick.

we are flying from Gatwick direct to Fort Lauderdale next month and then from LA direct to Gatwick in March

yellowroom Jan 24th 2019 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12626258)

they do, just not where I wanted to go. When I lived in Kent (admittedly nearly 20 years ago), Gatwick was mostly for leisure flights, and Heathrow was where we went for business class.

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 24th 2019 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12626798)
they do, just not where I wanted to go. When I lived in Kent (admittedly nearly 20 years ago), Gatwick was mostly for leisure flights, and Heathrow was where we went for business class.

Cue Bob Dylan "The times, they are a changin' "

I missed Dallas off my list; Tampa was private ( = cattle class) my flights to Denver & Dallas were business class, from Geneva I transited through LGW.

I had previously flown direct GVA-JFK with Swiss, but that route was taken out after SR111 went down. :( :(

UkWinds5353 Jan 25th 2019 2:03 am

My friends had a blast in Belgium and they loved the beauty of the cities. They felt the people were far friendlier than in France. The only issue was the weather. He said it colder than a Wizard's behind, what ever that means. They are in the Netherlands and will be back in the UK in Manchester and Liverpool by the middle of next week. He tried some edibles in Amsterdam, if you know what I mean. A real Hippie I call him.

Are those legal in the UK? I mean the edibles, and not the Hippies.

spouse of scouse Jan 25th 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12626933)
Are those legal in the UK? I mean the edibles.

Medical cannabis is available on prescription, apart from that the drug is illegal.

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 25th 2019 12:09 pm

My friends had a blast in Belgium and they loved the beauty of the cities. They felt the people were far friendlier than in France.

This is so true.

... the weather. He said it colder than a Wizard's behind, what ever that means.

I am that wizard, and yes, my backside has been - and still is - pretty damn cold. ;)

UkWinds5353 Jan 26th 2019 3:36 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12626961)
Medical cannabis is available on prescription, apart from that the drug is illegal.

That is interesting. I wasn't sure if marijuana was legal in the UK. Has it at least been decriminalized in the UK?

A friend told me that it was legal in Ireland.
I'm too old for marijuana. I'll stick with my one beer once every weekend fun.

spouse of scouse Jan 26th 2019 3:44 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12627449)
That is interesting. I wasn't sure if marijuana was legal in the UK. Has it at least been decriminalized in the UK?

A friend told me that it was legal in Ireland.
I'm too old for marijuana. I'll stick with my one beer once every weekend fun.

No, it hasn't been decriminalized. It's a Class B drug and all recreational use, growing, supplying and dealing is illegal. Police can give a warning to people with a very small amount for personal use rather than arrest them, but they're not obliged to.

UkWinds5353 Jan 26th 2019 3:50 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12627085)
This is so true.

I am that wizard, and yes, my backside has been - and still is - pretty damn cold. ;)

LOL.

I think Belgium must be a great place if my friends enjoyed it that much in the dead of winter. Summer months there must be amazing! But any country that Jean Claude Van Damme is from has to be pretty awesome.
My friends did like France and especially Toulouse but they told me that the people in Belgium were so out going and approachable. When people heard their American ascents they felt like Rock Stars because the Belgians were so kind and engaging. Someone bought them dinner. You can't get much nicer than that. They returned the kindness by buying drinks.

UkWinds5353 Jan 26th 2019 8:27 pm

[img=left]https://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/crop/10:9-16:9/43k/42623/51375327/42623_8119712_IMG_01_0000_max_476x317.jpg[/img]This is a good example of homes in Liverpool and it's in my friends price range.