British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

UkWinds5353 Dec 23rd 2018 10:57 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12612079)
Cookham Dean is a village, not a small town. It's a lovely village, but vastly different from Oxford with all of the amenities that has to offer.

FWIW, I'm a country bumpkin too. I've actually lived in Oxford, albeit over 20 years ago when I was a student there, but I love village life. I love the fact that I don't have to lock my doors or car, the community spirit you get in a village, that I can walk the dogs from my backdoor without going near a single road, and that I can go for days without seeing another living soul other than my own family and the deer/partridge/guinea fowl etc in the garden! But it sounds like your friends want more amenities and access to things like live music (not my scene at all), so a tiny village may not suit them.

I know what you mean. It's becoming very rare to find a place where people have the upmost respect for others including a complete stranger. Now days that is definitely more of a township(aka Village) thing. I grew up in a place like that where pretty much everyone knew each other and you gave people the benefit of the doubt. And if you got in trouble as a kid someone scolded you then told your parents about your behavior. There are still a few small towns and townships where you can forget to lock your front door and you're as safe as it you had. That's a nice way to live.

My friends are city people that prefer living in a calm area of the suburbs. Maybe they'll find that near Oxford, Bristol or possibly even Brighton. They will be in the UK for about five weeks which is plenty of time to make some magic happen.

UkWinds5353 Dec 24th 2018 1:03 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12612082)
I'm in unchartered territory vis-a-vis the chocolate shops. Like limiting visits to only once a week :blink: Or trying to...

We quit Switzerland due to the impending slashing of my company pension - I took early retirement about a year ago - and after the slash I figured that we really could no longer afford to live there. You are correct, Switzerland is hugely expensive, it's a great place to be when one is earning a decent wage, even better when two are.

OH got made redundant a few years back, and despite literally hundreds of job applications, no go. Having decided to get the hell out of Dodge, we looked first at Portugal, Spain, France, Greece, but finally decided on Belgium for family reasons. OH was born and bred here, we have loads of family within a 20-30 minute drive, I have good friends (both ex-colleagues) about an hour's drive away.

The people here are really great, if anyone tries to tell you that Belgians are boring or unfriendly, take that with a pinch (bucket) of salt.

As to the UK, I - sometimes we - visit every two or three years, but to move back there, absolutely no way. I've been away too long, and I could never subject OH to that.

Happy wife, happy life. ;)

Back to your friends, suggest to them to have a good look at the Thames valley... :nod:

Not taking anything away from those other countries that you mentioned but Belgium was a very good choice.. Cool people, awesome culture and amazing sights. But that's just for starts. The food is ridiculously good. You did quite well for your selves. And actually I've heard nothing but positive comments about the Belgians. The one's I've met were quite out going and quick to buy you a drink. A few wanted to stay in touch which is nice, but I hate Facebook. It feels pointless.

I am curious...do you miss Switzerland and the lifestyle?
My friends are definitely looking at the Thames valley area which is quite large and I think includes Berkshire and Oxford.
What is your opinion of Upper Basildon?

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 24th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12612398)
...but I hate Facebook. It feels pointless.

You and me both. ;)

...I am curious...do you miss Switzerland and the lifestyle?
Three and a bit months in, the answer has to be a resounding no, apart from three sets of immediate neighbours, that is. The lifestyle here is to my mind a whole lot better, everything feels much more accessible, we have family and friends in proximity, the local restaurants are superb and one learns the traffic flows fairly quickly, not that we have need to go in to the big city that often. Maybe the last 18 months of planning and executing 'project move' had gotten to both of us a bit, but I feel that any residual stress is now peeling off in chunky layers. I was back in Geneva for three days last week, and simply couldn't wait to get home.

...My friends are definitely looking at the Thames valley area which is quite large and I think includes Berkshire and Oxford.
What is your opinion of Upper Basildon?
I have no knowledge of Upper Basildon at all, so sorry, can't help there. Just a case of too many villages, not enough time ;). My stomping grounds along the Thames were from Henley down through Hurley, Marlow, Cookham and Taplow.

UkWinds5353 Dec 25th 2018 12:21 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12612505)
You and me both. ;)

Three and a bit months in, the answer has to be a resounding no, apart from three sets of immediate neighbours, that is. The lifestyle here is to my mind a whole lot better, everything feels much more accessible, we have family and friends in proximity, the local restaurants are superb and one learns the traffic flows fairly quickly, not that we have need to go in to the big city that often. Maybe the last 18 months of planning and executing 'project move' had gotten to both of us a bit, but I feel that any residual stress is now peeling off in chunky layers. I was back in Geneva for three days last week, and simply couldn't wait to get home.

I have no knowledge of Upper Basildon at all, so sorry, can't help there. Just a case of too many villages, not enough time ;). My stomping grounds along the Thames were from Henley down through Hurley, Marlow, Cookham and Taplow.

You have a Merry merry Christmas. I hope Santa is extra good to you.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 25th 2018 5:31 pm

That'll be somewhere in Hertfordshire then? :lol:

UkWinds5353 Dec 25th 2018 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12612825)
That'll be somewhere in Hertfordshire then? :lol:

I had a couple hot totties and went to bed early last night. Hertfordshire huh. Anything good there?

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 26th 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12612840)
I had a couple hot totties and went to bed early last night. Hertfordshire huh. Anything good there?

Sitting to the north of London, it's prime commuter land. I don't know it that well, apart from Watford (for football and music) and Knebworth (for music).

UkWinds5353 Dec 27th 2018 4:05 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12612935)
Sitting to the north of London, it's prime commuter land. I don't know it that well, apart from Watford (for football and music) and Knebworth (for music).

Sounds interesting. Any area with a decent music scene is a major plus for them. My friends are staying in Bristol Monday thru Wednesday , then over to Oxford metro area for 3 nights. That should give them excellent insight into what places to eliminate. They will do day trips into the surrounding townships. The following week they will be in Manchester and Liverpool. Then one week in Europe. Lucky them!

UkWinds5353 Dec 31st 2018 8:58 pm

Just want to wish everyone a VERY Happy New Year!

Here's hoping you have great success with your New Year's resolutions.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 31st 2018 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12614666)

Best wishes to you and yours as well,

Resolutions? End February at best. :nod:

GeniB Jan 3rd 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12614666)

A very happy New Year to you to UK Winds. We are still enjoying our family over here in Portugal from the USA. The weather has been astoundingly good. Temps 18/ 20 deg's ( ie warm) Reminds me of the reasons we moved further south from the Netherlands ( and definitely UK) in our retirement :lol: My ED can't believe that she is waking up to sunshine pouring into her bedroom every morning, that she can step outside into the garden and sunbathe in the garden chairs by 10 am.Seattle more or less missed summer last year so she is delighted to still find it here, as are we.
You must keep us informed about your friends final decision on where to live. It will be fascinating

UkWinds5353 Jan 6th 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12615509)
A very happy New Year to you to UK Winds. We are still enjoying our family over here in Portugal from the USA. The weather has been astoundingly good. Temps 18/ 20 deg's ( ie warm) Reminds me of the reasons we moved further south from the Netherlands ( and definitely UK) in our retirement :lol: My ED can't believe that she is waking up to sunshine pouring into her bedroom every morning, that she can step outside into the garden and sunbathe in the garden chairs by 10 am.Seattle more or less missed summer last year so she is delighted to still find it here, as are we.
You must keep us informed about your friends final decision on where to live. It will be fascinating

Portugal sounds very appealing! There must be a large British Expat community living there. Kinda hard to not like warm weather and friendly people. I wonder if there is a large American expat community there? Glad your family is having such a fun time.

My friends are having a blast in the west country and she is really loving the people. They spent Christmas in Brighton visiting with family, and the last week in Bristol. So far so good. Based on their emails it would seem that Bristol went well. They did a few outings from there. Very nice place but I sense Brighton was a bigger hit with them than Bristol metro. They are leaving for Birmingham today for 10 days and that includes trips to the Oxford area. They sent me a link to their hotel in the Birmingham area and the only thing I can say is...wow. It's very impressive with a seriously medieval architecture and the daily price is far better than something comparable here in the states. Except for eating out and gasoline, they both feel the UK is cheaper in general than much of the States. He is doing all the driving because it's freaking her out to sit on the right side of the car and pass traffic lol. But to be honest I think that juxtaposition does take a little getting use to. Everyone thinks that she and he are both Americans. Guess he'll have to explain where he is from quite a few times.
I look forward to their impressions of the Midlands.

UkWinds5353 Jan 12th 2019 7:25 am

My friends have really enjoyed their time in the Birmingham area. Very diverse with so many points of interests and things to do and homes are quite affordable. Oxford went extremely well and I think his wife favored that city the most. They leave for France, Belgium and the Netherlands for about 12 days on Tuesday. Then on return they will be in Manchester and Liverpool. My friend told me that he feels more alive, and so excited about their future in the UK and she is loving it so far. I'm very happy for them.

UkWinds5353 Jan 13th 2019 12:54 am

Interesting news. My friends are feeling a very strong reaction to being in the Midlands area. They decided to do a quick day trip to the Manchester area and based on early impressions the Midlands has more of a comfortable feel to them both. She loves the homes in Oxford but outer Birmingham and Manchester might offer the best of all worlds. They wouldn't be that far from his family in Scotland and the nightlife is excellent in both Birmingham and Manchester and living on the outskirts could work quite well.
My wife is getting excited about this news. That's a whole other issue.

Jerseygirl Jan 13th 2019 1:16 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12620636)
Interesting news. My friends are feeling a very strong reaction to being in the Midlands area. They decided to do a quick day trip to the Manchester area and based on early impressions the Midlands has more of a comfortable feel to them both. She loves the homes in Oxford but outer Birmingham and Manchester might offer the best of all worlds. They wouldn't be that far from his family in Scotland and the nightlife is excellent in both Birmingham and Manchester and living on the outskirts could work quite well.
My wife is getting excited about this news. That's a whole other issue.

Alderley Edge, Prestbury area of South Manchester are lovely areas. Close to M6/M56/M62, close to Manchester Airport.