British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

UkWinds5353 Nov 11th 2018 7:21 pm

Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
Hello

Just want to ask for opinions for Scottish friends of ours that are making the move back to the UK after having lived in the States for the last 15 years. Really awesome people and we hate to see them go but they have made their decision and it's their desire to relocate somewhere different. They feel moving back to Scotland would put them right back in the rut that made him want to leave. They seem to be open to several places. Their main priority is to consider an area not in London but a reasonable drive to it. They want a place with good schools for their children, pubs, parks and decent shopping. And they are youngish (mid 40s). He is a Brit and she is American. The areas they are looking for Houses are, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Swindon, Reading, Kent, Watford and Oxfordshire. With a few exceptions most seem to have multiple affordable housing options. Just not sure which are the better areas for a well balanced lifestyle. All seem to be no more than 90 minutes travel time to London.
Which areas do you suggest and why?

Thanks again.

scot47 Nov 11th 2018 7:30 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
The further away from London, the better the quality of life.

SanDiegogirl Nov 11th 2018 8:16 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
One of the most important aspects of having a well balanced lifestyle would be having a job. What does the Brit do for a living? Is he going to be able to get a job 'anywhere' in the UK?

Presume he knows he has to obtain a visa for his American wife.

Personally I like the Surrey, Sussex area .... good schools, great countryside, pubs, parks etc.

UkWinds5353 Nov 11th 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12591829)
The further away from London, the better the quality of life.

They appear to have the same opinion. And their kids are very young which factors into much of what they want to do.

UkWinds5353 Nov 11th 2018 11:49 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12591847)
One of the most important aspects of having a well balanced lifestyle would be having a job. What does the Brit do for a living? Is he going to be able to get a job 'anywhere' in the UK?

Presume he knows he has to obtain a visa for his American wife.

Personally I like the Surrey, Sussex area .... good schools, great countryside, pubs, parks etc.

I kid them about their plans because they have accomplished all the difficult work. They've(he has) been planning this move for years and even the kids have duel citizenship. They just haven't figured out where they want to move to. The careers can be performed from a home office. He has some family in Brighton, his parents and siblings are all in Scotland, I think they want a fresh start. They go over for festivals and family visits once in a while. Now the kids are of school age they feel the time is right. He doesn't want to raise his children in America.

Surrey is not a bad drive to London. I wonder if the area has as many Festivals and other events compared to some of those places mentioned in my original post? Pretty sure they are going to rent first before buying a home. They want to be near many of the fun activities for adults. It's his belief that will make the transition easier for his wife who is happy about the move but a little concerned and nervous. They don't want to be in a place too slow. Somewhere fun with a vibrant nightlife for the weekends.
I suggested Manchester to them because that is where my family lived and it was a good experience.

SanDiegogirl Nov 12th 2018 1:18 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
....... and what about obtaining the visa for the American wife?

UkWinds5353 Nov 12th 2018 4:42 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12591975)
....... and what about obtaining the visa for the American wife?

They have everything under control except which relocation area to select which is a nice problem to have. She is the American but she has duel citizenship as well. A parent is Scottish.They went to a Glastonbury Festival a few years ago and she was blown away by that area. He's smart in introducing the Mrs to areas making sure it's an amazing experience and memory. There is a small part of her that is reluctant to give up her home and move away from friends and family. I'm sure that is the reason why he wants to be on target in picking the right place. They both are very nice people and I hope all goes well for them.

UkWinds5353 Nov 12th 2018 9:02 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
Here's a question...…

What are the best mid size cities that have incredible live music venues?

My friends are HUGE music fans and having great pubs and several music venues could be a major selling point.

verystormy Nov 13th 2018 5:55 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
What sort of budget at they looking at as the areas you mention certainly don't fall into what most would call "affordable" and any pockets in them that are cheaper are likely to be areas you really don't want to be in.

brits1 Nov 13th 2018 11:18 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
Will employment/money be a factor? if I were to choose from their requirements, I love Bath, Christchurch, Norwich, Shrewsbury, Bournemouth, lots of nice market towns in North Yorkshire and the East Ridings, York and also Harrogate....there are many excellent areas to live in the uk but it all comes down to budget and work. Hope their move goes well

christmasoompa Nov 13th 2018 11:33 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12591829)
The further away from London, the better the quality of life.

Many would disagree with that.

OP, they want to be within 90 mins of London? Some of their choices are slightly odd in that case, 90 mins isn't realistic for a lot of them. I live in the Reading area, if I can help with any specific questions about that? I love it as it's incredibly rural where I live, but we can be in London in an hour (or quicker with a fast train) and are also within an hour of the coast, Bath, Oxford, Windsor, New Forest, etc. Schools are amazing here, among the best in the country. No idea on the music scene I'm afraid, not my kind of thing, although of course Reading Festival is a huge one.

Does he need to commute to a particular part of London? That may well have a bearing on where will be within 90 mins.

Beraider Nov 13th 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12591829)
The further away from London, the better the quality of life.

Born and raised in a council house in London and proud to say "I'm a Londoner", even after 25 years as an expat in the US. Still have family living there and they seem to managing OK with quality of life.

One man's meat is another man's poison but London has an awful lot to offer and no matter what, it's where I'm from.

Pollyana Nov 13th 2018 1:57 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12592403)
Here's a question...…

What are the best mid size cities that have incredible live music venues?

My friends are HUGE music fans and having great pubs and several music venues could be a major selling point.

Bristol or Brighton might be worth a look

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 12:02 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12592561)
What sort of budget at they looking at as the areas you mention certainly don't fall into what most would call "affordable" and any pockets in them that are cheaper are likely to be areas you really don't want to be in.

I'm not 100% sure because they have talked about a range more than a set purchase price. But he mentioned about 500k sterling. Their home here in the States has already sold and the majority of that will be used for the down payment. They use to live in my current neighborhood and the homes here on average are the exchange rate equivalent. I've been looking online with them and they have been searching for several months, but now their home is sold the move is far more real. Honestly, it's too bad they don't want to move to Scotland. Homes in the Glasgow area are amazing with a great deal of charm while still being in their price range.

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 12:09 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12592637)
Will employment/money be a factor? if I were to choose from their requirements, I love Bath, Christchurch, Norwich, Shrewsbury, Bournemouth, lots of nice market towns in North Yorkshire and the East Ridings, York and also Harrogate....there are many excellent areas to live in the uk but it all comes down to budget and work. Hope their move goes well

Do those areas offer a good lifestyle balance for a young family while offering good nightlife?

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 12:56 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12592646)
Many would disagree with that.

OP, they want to be within 90 mins of London? Some of their choices are slightly odd in that case, 90 mins isn't realistic for a lot of them. I live in the Reading area, if I can help with any specific questions about that? I love it as it's incredibly rural where I live, but we can be in London in an hour (or quicker with a fast train) and are also within an hour of the coast, Bath, Oxford, Windsor, New Forest, etc. Schools are amazing here, among the best in the country. No idea on the music scene I'm afraid, not my kind of thing, although of course Reading Festival is a huge one.

Does he need to commute to a particular part of London? That may well have a bearing on where will be within 90 mins.

Thanks for your help. My friends are entrepreneurs and work from home which is a convenience for them and takes much of the pressure off of their move. Their main goal in deciding not to live near London is to have a calm place to raise the kids. Fun music scenes near the burbs are usually more associated with midsize cities here in the States. Places like Nashville, Asheville, New Orleans, ect. Not a easy thing to find a calm suburbia location that has a vibrant music scene within 15 minutes of one's neighborhood in the UK. They might be asking for too much. But as a friend I don't mind asking a few questions on their behalf.

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 1:00 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12592695)
Bristol or Brighton might be worth a look

Those are on their list. Thanks for the confirmation and will look into them further. Do you think Bristol has a busier nightlife compared to Brighton?

verystormy Nov 14th 2018 5:50 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12593037)
I'm not 100% sure because they have talked about a range more than a set purchase price. But he mentioned about 500k sterling. Their home here in the States has already sold and the majority of that will be used for the down payment. They use to live in my current neighborhood and the homes here on average are the exchange rate equivalent. I've been looking online with them and they have been searching for several months, but now their home is sold the move is far more real. Honestly, it's too bad they don't want to move to Scotland. Homes in the Glasgow area are amazing with a great deal of charm while still being in their price range.

That budget isn't going to get a lot in any of the better parts of those areas. For example, we used to live in Windsor, very close to Reading. That budget wouldn't get you a small terraced house.

I agree reed with the sentiment regarding Glasgow. I live south of Glasgow near the little town of Strathaven and think it is a great place for a family. Oh, and a flight to London takes 30 minutes and costs less than a train ticket from some of the locations they are looking at and Glasgow has one of the biggest music scenes in the UK. But, if they really don't want to, then with that budget, I would recommend somewhere in the Midlands as most would be within 90 minutes of London and being central give access to the UK easily and will give a lot more for their budget.

brits1 Nov 14th 2018 7:57 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
Hi, I would say very much so, Bath, York and Norwich are smaller attractive cities with everything you need. York and Bath are near much larger cities if required ie Bristol and Leeds, Norwich is About 2 hours from London. DurroundiSu areas of all 3 are just lovely, as I am from the North I like my Hills so norwich slightly looses out for me in that score but is much nearer to some wonderful beaches and coastline....But I would still feel a bit isolated in Norwich as getting to and from other cities it's all A roads which might be a blessing to some lol. Good luck

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 10:21 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12593124)


That budget isn't going to get a lot in any of the better parts of those areas. For example, we used to live in Windsor, very close to Reading. That budget wouldn't get you a small terraced house.

I agree reed with the sentiment regarding Glasgow. I live south of Glasgow near the little town of Strathaven and think it is a great place for a family. Oh, and a flight to London takes 30 minutes and costs less than a train ticket from some of the locations they are looking at and Glasgow has one of the biggest music scenes in the UK. But, if they really don't want to, then with that budget, I would recommend somewhere in the Midlands as most would be within 90 minutes of London and being central give access to the UK easily and will give a lot more for their budget.

My friends are wonderful people but I'm not sure if they are fully prepared for the change in lifestyle. In the states they lived in a nearly 5.000 square foot home and have become very accustomed to the additional space. I think he will do best in accepting the difference in housing options especially if they stick to their target areas. It will be more of a challenge for the wife and kids. I personally lived in Manchester and had such a great time there so I know first hand how budget friendly that area can be for a 500K price range.

Time will tell how determined they are to stick with that price range once on the ground in the UK and actually living there. I think then the reality of it all will help crystalize what are the biggest priorities in selecting a new home. Renting for several months will give them enough time for everything to make sense. But I agree with you that they might want to invest additional funds if their goal is to come close to the amount of space they had in the States. I noticed several special properties on Rightmove but many of them were about 650k-750K range.. Personally, i'd give Scotland another chance.

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 10:34 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12593141)
Hi, I would say very much so, Bath, York and Norwich are smaller attractive cities with everything you need. York and Bath are near much larger cities if required ie Bristol and Leeds, Norwich is About 2 hours from London. DurroundiSu areas of all 3 are just lovely, as I am from the North I like my Hills so norwich slightly looses out for me in that score but is much nearer to some wonderful beaches and coastline....But I would still feel a bit isolated in Norwich as getting to and from other cities it's all A roads which might be a blessing to some lol. Good luck

Bristol being near several other cities is a major selling point which could influence their final decision. I wonder if there are ferries which travel from Bristol to Dublin?

Moses2013 Nov 14th 2018 10:45 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12593225)
Bristol being near several other cities is a major selling point which could influence their final decision. I wonder if there are ferries which travel from Bristol to Dublin?

In Ireland myself. Irish Ferries/Stena goes from Pembroke to Rosslare and Holyhead to Dublin. Otherwise you have Liverpool - Dublin with P&O but no Bristol. You also have Belfast Route.

christmasoompa Nov 14th 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12593124)
That budget isn't going to get a lot in any of the better parts of those areas. For example, we used to live in Windsor, very close to Reading. That budget wouldn't get you a small terraced house.

It'll get them a 3 bed detached, or a 4 bed semi in Windsor according to Rightmove? Where I live (near Reading) it would get them a decent family home. Not huge, but ok.

vh3 Nov 14th 2018 4:45 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12593210)
My friends are wonderful people but I'm not sure if they are fully prepared for the change in lifestyle. In the states they lived in a nearly 5.000 square foot home and have become very accustomed to the additional space. I think he will do best in accepting the difference in housing options especially if they stick to their target areas. It will be more of a challenge for the wife and kids. I personally lived in Manchester and had such a great time there so I know first hand how budget friendly that area can be for a 500K price range.

Time will tell how determined they are to stick with that price range once on the ground in the UK and actually living there. I think then the reality of it all will help crystalize what are the biggest priorities in selecting a new home. Renting for several months will give them enough time for everything to make sense. But I agree with you that they might want to invest additional funds if their goal is to come close to the amount of space they had in the States. I noticed several special properties on Rightmove but many of them were about 650k-750K range.. Personally, i'd give Scotland another chance.


We are planning to return to the UK in 2020 after 24 years in Canada. We initially thought of relocating to Spain (warmer climate) but decided that as we wanted to be nearer family and friends we would settle back in our native Scotland albeit a totally different area all together. We did re-think out options and looked at Norfolk but again our move is to be closer to family.... Now we have decided that we will move back to Scotland, just not decided where yet and I can tell you that decision has brought us peace.

UkWinds5353 Nov 14th 2018 7:01 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12593430)
We are planning to return to the UK in 2020 after 24 years in Canada. We initially thought of relocating to Spain (warmer climate) but decided that as we wanted to be nearer family and friends we would settle back in our native Scotland albeit a totally different area all together. We did re-think out options and looked at Norfolk but again our move is to be closer to family.... Now we have decided that we will move back to Scotland, just not decided where yet and I can tell you that decision has brought us peace.

You and your family must be over the moon with excitement that this new chapter will bring to you. How long have you been planning to return back to Scotland and will you be working once back in the UK? Do you have children that will remain back in Canada? Congrats on your decision and I hope it goes exactly the way you plan.

vh3 Nov 14th 2018 9:07 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12593503)
You and your family must be over the moon with excitement that this new chapter will bring to you. How long have you been planning to return back to Scotland and will you be working once back in the UK? Do you have children that will remain back in Canada? Congrats on your decision and I hope it goes exactly the way you plan.


We have known we wouldn't retire here in Canada for the last couple of years and our family will find out our plans when we vacation next year. If all goes well, we will retire and settle down in August 2020. We don't have children therefore the decision to return was easy but I know we would have felt differently if that had been the case. We would not have changed our experience but now we want to travel to Europe, re investigate Scotland and visit parts of the UK we never did. The core things we miss have never gone away, family friends and humour.

PrairieWriter Nov 15th 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
West coast of Scotland, of course!

Okay, I'm biased. That's where we're going when we move back next year. :drinkingwine:

vh3 Nov 15th 2018 9:02 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter (Post 12594163)
West coast of Scotland, of course!

Okay, I'm biased. That's where we're going when we move back next year. :drinkingwine:


We are planning a trip back next year. Starting off in Edinburgh, then the Borders up through Dunblane, Crieff and Perth before heading north to visit family. By the end of that trip we should have finalized exactly where do we want to be. We think we know where we will settle but just want to tour around, spend time in each place before making the big decision as to where.

PrairieWriter Nov 15th 2018 9:10 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12594167)
We are planning a trip back next year. Starting off in Edinburgh, then the Borders up through Dunblane, Crieff and Perth before heading north to visit family. By the end of that trip we should have finalized exactly where do we want to be. We think we know where we will settle but just want to tour around, spend time in each place before making the big decision as to where.

Edinburgh is gorgeous! Nicest city in Scotland, I think.

We had viewings lined up all around Ayrshire, Dumfries and also out on the peninsulas. Went to the first two viewings out on Kintyre and fell totally in love with everything about the place (the house, the location, the people, the remoteness, the microclimate etc). So we bought the second house we saw and canceled all the other viewings! Job done! We closed in September and my mum is taking care of the place until we get there next year. I'm very much looking forward to it. My husband is an artist (oil paints) and there's just endless inspiration, even in crummy weather. I am a writer, so we're both self employed, which is a definite bonus when you're that far out. Internet is only 5mbps, but should be upgraded to inland speeds by mid 2020 (according to BT). Let the adventures begin!

I hope you find a beautiful home in a perfect location for you! It's a big step, but hey, Scotland is a great country, isn't it. :heart:

vh3 Nov 15th 2018 9:12 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter (Post 12594170)
Edinburgh is gorgeous! Nicest city in Scotland, I think.

We had viewings lined up all around Ayrshire, Dumfries and also out on the peninsulas. Went to the first two viewings out on Kintyre and fell totally in love with everything about the place (the house, the location, the people, the remoteness, the microclimate etc). So we bought the second house we saw and canceled all the other viewings! Job done! We closed in September and my mum is taking care of the place until we get there next year. I'm very much looking forward to it. My husband is an artist (oil paints) and there's just endless inspiration, even in crummy weather. I am a writer, so we're both self employed, which is a definite bonus when you're that far out. Internet is only 5mbps, but should be upgraded to inland speeds by mid 2020 (according to BT). Let the adventures begin!

I hope you find a beautiful home in a perfect location for you! It's a big step, but hey, Scotland is a great country, isn't it. :heart:

Wow, that is amazing finding your own idea of heaven on the second viewing... We are very much looking forward to returning home and know that where ever we decide there is no bad choice.

PrairieWriter Nov 15th 2018 9:17 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12594171)
Wow, that is amazing finding your own idea of heaven on the second viewing... We are very much looking forward to returning home and know that where ever we decide there is no bad choice.

Yes, even we were surprised! We'd done a lot of advance homework (home reports, scoping out locations, driving distances etc) before we came over, which did help a lot. Nevertheless, we were prepared for a couple of weeks of intense viewing action and several more weeks of decision making!

I agree that anywhere in Scotland is good, really: you're never far from the Kyles, the isles, the Highlands and the beautiful Atlantic ocean, with its diverse sea life and startlingly empty and endless pale, sandy beaches. Also, whisky. :D

UkWinds5353 Nov 17th 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter (Post 12594163)
West coast of Scotland, of course!

Okay, I'm biased. That's where we're going when we move back next year. :drinkingwine:

Scotland is truly beautiful and it would be worth a look imo. The music scene and friendly faces really does make for a inviting place to live. And it doesn't hurt to live in a place where money goes a bit further.

Do you think crime is any worse in Scotland than in Great Britain? I've heard various opinions but I'm not sure.

UkWinds5353 Nov 17th 2018 9:57 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter (Post 12594170)
Edinburgh is gorgeous! Nicest city in Scotland, I think.

We had viewings lined up all around Ayrshire, Dumfries and also out on the peninsulas. Went to the first two viewings out on Kintyre and fell totally in love with everything about the place (the house, the location, the people, the remoteness, the microclimate etc). So we bought the second house we saw and canceled all the other viewings! Job done! We closed in September and my mum is taking care of the place until we get there next year. I'm very much looking forward to it. My husband is an artist (oil paints) and there's just endless inspiration, even in crummy weather. I am a writer, so we're both self employed, which is a definite bonus when you're that far out. Internet is only 5mbps, but should be upgraded to inland speeds by mid 2020 (according to BT). Let the adventures begin!

I hope you find a beautiful home in a perfect location for you! It's a big step, but hey, Scotland is a great country, isn't it. :heart:

Very rare to find the idea house in quick order. Congratulations.

cyrian Nov 18th 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12594992)
Scotland is truly beautiful and it would be worth a look imo. The music scene and friendly faces really does make for a inviting place to live. And it doesn't hurt to live in a place where money goes a bit further.

Do you think crime is any worse in Scotland than in Great Britain? I've heard various opinions but I'm not sure.

Crime can happen everywhere - even in the countryside where farmers have had problems with thefts of animals and farm equipment.
London has recently asked advice from Glasgow regarding Glasgow's success in reducing gang-related violent crime.
IMHO there is not significant difference Scotland and the rest of the UK - but it does depend on where you live.

UkWinds5353 Nov 18th 2018 9:25 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12595305)
Crime can happen everywhere - even in the countryside where farmers have had problems with thefts of animals and farm equipment.
London has recently asked advice from Glasgow regarding Glasgow's success in reducing gang-related violent crime.
IMHO there is not significant difference Scotland and the rest of the UK - but it does depend on where you live.

The stats bear out what you're saying. London is #4 with higher rate of crime incidents. Although it's also probably true that statistics don't tell the full story and there can be extenuating circumstances to explain certain facts. Which city do you think is safer between Glasgow versus Edinburgh and why? I lived in Manchester and saw my fair share of minor incidents but I never felt unsafe. We are going to witness crime even in the most remote areas in a country. It's human nature to sometimes resist following good behavior.

I know here in the states most crime happens in certain areas meaning they happened more often than not in areas known to suffer from lack of job opportunities, less opportunity to attain higher education. ect ect.

UkWinds5353 Nov 19th 2018 9:01 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 
I'm happy to report that my friends are going to old Blighty for the holidays and will visit several cities .They just decided the other day to use the vacation break to tour places that he feels the Mrs will embrace. Both are very excited and ready to take in the sights & sounds and hopefully by the end of their holiday break they will know better, and that place where inner peace lives will speak to them. They are going to visit Bristol. Reading, Brighton, Luton, Bath, Oxford, Kent and a few more. They are also visiting Manchester because of all the wonderful things I've mentioned about the place. Fingers crossed for them. I told him to take her & kids to a fun exciting Castle for the weekend but don't tell her in advance. lol. He is going full court press on this move.

cyrian Nov 20th 2018 8:42 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12595503)
Which city do you think is safer between Glasgow versus Edinburgh and why? I lived in Manchester and saw my fair share of minor incidents but I never felt unsafe.

Huge question.
What do you mean by crime?
Personal violence; drug-related crime; property crime?
Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have their wealthy areas where you can find property crime e.g. car theft or housebreaking but perhaps not so much the other 2 types.
They both have their deprived areas where crime is more endemic. If you are aware of these areas then you can avoid them.
Glasgow is much larger than Edinburgh - not only in core population but also for the adjoining towns which surround it and which are not technically Glasgow. I suspect that per head of population, there is not a great difference.
For example, in Glasgow (actually outside Glasgow) there is a wealthy area with large houses; good schools and higher house prices - because people want to live there. Only one mile away there is an area of multiple deprivation with much social housing or former social housing; a lot of unemployment and lower life expectancy.
This is no different from most big cities in the world.
I was born in a deprived area in Glasgow and have never experienced (so far) anything other than petty crime.

UkWinds5353 Nov 21st 2018 12:39 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12596157)
Huge question.
What do you mean by crime?
Personal violence; drug-related crime; property crime?
Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have their wealthy areas where you can find property crime e.g. car theft or housebreaking but perhaps not so much the other 2 types.
They both have their deprived areas where crime is more endemic. If you are aware of these areas then you can avoid them.
Glasgow is much larger than Edinburgh - not only in core population but also for the adjoining towns which surround it and which are not technically Glasgow. I suspect that per head of population, there is not a great difference.
For example, in Glasgow (actually outside Glasgow) there is a wealthy area with large houses; good schools and higher house prices - because people want to live there. Only one mile away there is an area of multiple deprivation with much social housing or former social housing; a lot of unemployment and lower life expectancy.
This is no different from most big cities in the world.
I was born in a deprived area in Glasgow and have never experienced (so far) anything other than petty crime.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I agree there is no major difference in most big cities in the western world. I've lived in Manchester and felt safe, and spent most of my time in the UK in Great Britain and although it's not that far away, my stay didn't include visits to our neighbor to the north. Unfortunately it was a omission on my part that I hope one day to correct. Interestingly enough I have a handful of friends from Scotland and I see that nation through their eyes.

My question about the level of crime in Scotland was general in scope. Sounds like you're saying that Glasgow and the outer areas have safe neighborhoods one by one right next to each other with multiple upscaled communities like you would see in Great Britain. I've gone on Rightmove to look for properties for my friends and the houses are amazing with so much character. Honestly, I would give Scotland a second look if it were me, but they know what's best for their family. And I get the fact that it's quite normal to want to experience living somewhere different. Scotland's culture is so rich and fun and I'm drawn to it.

I think avoiding most violent crime(which is the most concerning type) has a lot to do with being street smart and wise about one's decisions and surroundings . Being aware of the places in question and knowing something about it's potential problematic history. There are times when the neighborhood is upscaled and problem people still come a-hunting for trouble. That has happened to me in NYC when two guys tried to jump me while I was in Herald Square doing a bit of shopping.

Thankfully my physical attributes were well toned from all that weight lifting and time in the gym. I was a bit younger then as well. Safe to say they picked the wrong guy that day and the experience did not leave me with a bad impression of NY, it just left me with a good story to tell.

Weirdly enough my brother experienced an attempted mugging in upper NYC walking down stairs after getting off the bus making his way to the subway, and waiting in the third floor stairwell was a drugged out mugger with a huge knife. He put the knife to my brother's face and demanded all his money.

Usually when you transfer from the bus and walk down stairs to the subway your main focus is hopefully making your train on time and maybe if lucky getting an actual seat to rest from the journey. Instead, my brother had to do hand to hand combat just to make it to his train. Unfortunately for the mugger my brother has been taking Karate for over 10 years. Big brother managed to disarm the aggressor took the knife from him and broke his arm in three different places. The police were impressed. It wasn't until when my brother returned to his home that the seriousness of the attack hit him. He actually got nervous once he was home and he thought about what happened. He was in a so so neighborhood and my incident took place in a good area. Things can happen anywhere.

yellowroom Nov 22nd 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12594992)
Do you think crime is any worse in Scotland than in Great Britain?.


spent most of my time in the UK in Great Britain and although it's not that far away, my stay didn't include visits to our neighbor to the north.
Just a note. Scotland is in Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

durham_lad Nov 22nd 2018 6:09 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?
 

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12597633)
Just a note. Scotland is in Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

Exactly, it happens to be the largest of the islands in the British Isles, just off the coast of mainland Europe.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.