Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Being 'Green' - US compared to UK, and how far should you go ...

Being 'Green' - US compared to UK, and how far should you go ...

Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being 'Green' - US compared to UK, and how far should you go ...

Originally Posted by Steerpike
why? Are you applying to all recycling- paper, cans, bottles, etc? Each item apparently has varying degrees of effectiveness, with paper being highly effective, glass much less so (I heard the energy to melt the glass is pretty high).
Paper isn't really, it's less resource creating fresh because the pine is so quick to grow these days.

Glass only worth it if recycle plant is within 20 miles of you dropping the bottles off, or you'd use more petrol than would have been saved recycling.

Metals are worth doing though.

The rest is just a feel good factor...better used as a source of energy and burning it at super temps, but that's not very PC
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the bright people posting on this thread can agree that one measurement (energy savings) is not an effective way to measure something.

I heart Penn & Teller, but that was a fact-less piece of fluff that didn't even support their point in the end.
But they got to say the f-word, which must be pretty thrilling.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Paper isn't really, it's less resource creating fresh because the pine is so quick to grow these days.

Glass only worth it if recycle plant is within 20 miles of you dropping the bottles off, or you'd use more petrol than would have been saved recycling.

The rest is just a feel good factor...better used as a source of energy and burning it at super temps, but that's not very PC
It used to be that they'd grind up glass and add it to bulk up the black top for road paving. I don't know if they still do that.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

When I spent some time in East Germany we all took our bottles back to the supermarket and they were refilled - makes a lot more sense that melting them down and remaking them.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
When I spent some time in East Germany we all took our bottles back to the supermarket and they were refilled - makes a lot more sense that melting them down and remaking them.
That was very common (or universal) with beer and wine until quite recent years. You used to see that ground-out ring at the top and bottom of the bottom of the bottle, where it had gone through the bottling machine, possibly dozens of times. Maybe some beer bottles in Europe are still refilled? ..Then of course there are milk bottles in the UK..

I seem to remember when I was a youngster in England, you took a pill bottle or a bottle in to the chemists for a prescription of pills or medicine or whatever. No-one seemed to care whether you had washed it to a certain standard or not. Mind you, we were pretty hardy in those days.

And Corona in the UK; the van came round once a week, and you returned your empties and got full bottles.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:20 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Exactly. Metals are worth it - the rest is a waste of energy.
The same is true with the smug, feel-good stuff associated with Live Aid nonsense; sure, you feel good -you're concerned! you're helping! - but in the end it's at best a waste of time, at worst detrimental.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:22 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Surely the bright people posting on this thread can agree that one measurement (energy savings) is not an effective way to measure something.

I heart Penn & Teller, but that was a fact-less piece of fluff that didn't even support their point in the end.
But they got to say the f-word, which must be pretty thrilling.
That's just their schtick. How did that not support their point? Were we watching the same show? Did you see it in its entirety?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:27 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I like Penn and Teller. They make me laugh very much. But that particular episode blatantly ignored the actual reason for recycling - there is only so much of some stuff before it runs out. And no not trees. I'm talking metals and oils/plastics.

On the other hand the "business" of recycling is as crooked as everything else.

Still - they got to tell pretentious wazzacks to **** off so it was funny at least.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:27 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Exactly. Metals are worth it - the rest is a waste of energy.
What about reducing the space needed in the landfill? For instance, grinding up glass and using it in road paving material?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:34 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So what are you telling me - the carbon from the fossil fuel is long overdue for release and should be released asap? Obviously not, but that's the kind of scientific mumbo-jumbo argument that gets 'environmentalists' a bad name. If there's shit in the air, there's shit in the air and we shouldn't add to it.
I've no idea what you read from my post Steerpike, but what I am saying is that CO2 from forest fires isn't that significant as the carbon released was only removed from the atmosphere recently during the plant growth - it is part of the current carbon cycle of sequestration and release (and the post-fire growth will start to sequester again).

The fossil fuel carbon is not part of the current carbon cycle and the CO2 is purely additive into today's atmosphere, which is increasing the greenhouse effect.

We need some of the CO2 "shit" in the air to stop us from freezing, the current carbon cycle helps moderate the "shit" content nicely, the problem is the extra fossil fuel shit we are adding the equation.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:47 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I've no idea what you read from my post Steerpike, but what I am saying is that CO2 from forest fires isn't that significant as the carbon released was only removed from the atmosphere recently during the plant growth - it is part of the current carbon cycle of sequestration and release (and the post-fire growth will start to sequester again).

The fossil fuel carbon is not part of the current carbon cycle and the CO2 is purely additive into today's atmosphere, which is increasing the greenhouse effect.

We need some of the CO2 "shit" in the air to stop us from freezing, the current carbon cycle helps moderate the "shit" content nicely, the problem is the extra fossil fuel shit we are adding the equation.
Hmm interesting. So is the constant shit on BE part of the natural cycle of shit, or extra shit added that we just don't need?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:53 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to recycle my farts by doing them in brown paper bags.

Unfortunately that's as far as I've got. Does anyone know what I do next?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:01 am
Peace onion

Kind of related to recycling, and an interesting concept.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...ve-consumption
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Reuse rather than recycle makes far more sense for a lot of this stuff, doing just that
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I'm talking metals and oils/plastics.
Plastics, generally another thing better super heated and burned as a fuel source than to recycle it as it's quite energy intensive and not very good for the environment for most plastics.

Best would be reducing the amount of plastic packaging in the first place though...there really isn't the need for all that shrink wrapped rubbish on every product these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.