Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Being 'Green' - US compared to UK, and how far should you go ...

Being 'Green' - US compared to UK, and how far should you go ...

Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being 'Green' - US compared to UK, and how far should you go ...

Originally Posted by Leslie
When we were bored we'd just have sex. Don't kids have sex anymore?
I agree that's part of it.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:31 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be impressed if a politician ran with that on his platform.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:43 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I get paper with handles when I can, but when I'm stuck at a Safeway and without my 'reusables', I gladly take the crappy plastic ones and reuse them too. If I cut up a watermelon, I deposit the 'waste' in a couple of the plastics and 'seal' them, and immediately drop it in the outside garbage (too stinky to leave inside, and I don't want leakage outside either). Same for stinky food leftovers - straight out to the garbage in a plastic bag. This enables me to really cram my kitchen garbage bin as full as possible before taking it out every few weeks.

Sometimes I shop at Trader Joes or Whole Foods just to get their paper bags (!), which have decent handles. I use those to death for my bottle recycling (I'm in an apt. in AZ so have to take my bottles/etc to a communal collection point). I reuse those until they tear or the handles fall off!

But my favorites are the Trader Joe reusable bags (see attachment)! I think they are so good looking, I have a trunk full now and gave some to my family to take back to UK ! I'm conscious of Fatbrit's warning - I don't put anything likely to contaminate the insides in them.

I hate the current fluorescents, I have to say. When I moved into my new apt. in AZ, I bought a ton of them for table lamps, and a ton of dimmers from Ikea, only to find you can't dim them ... So I replaced them all with incandescents again! I'm looking at the LEDs now and will buy them when they become more mainstream.

Consumer product packaging does seem to be getting better. I bought a few items recently and instead of the ubiquitous expanded polystyrene, you now have what looks like good old-fashioned 'egg carton' material.

To Robin and the comments on e-Readers, I just bought one for two reasons - 1) I fly a lot and carrying books is a hassle (I was struggling to finish Bill Bryson's 'A short history of nearly everything' but could never devote the bag space to it - I go back-pack only), and 2) I can scale the font so I no longer have to struggle with reading glasses (that's the BIG advantage for me). Eventually, not printing so many books on paper should have a positive impact on the environment, but I can imagine it may never offset the waste associated with ever-upgraded e-Readers!

I'm very happy to see the trend in the US towards hybrid cars. I think the principle is very sound (use braking /rolling power to recharge the battery), and the more experience we get with batteries, the sooner all-battery cars will become a reality. Pouring a highly flammable/explosive liquid into a car to drive a personal power plant will eventually become a thing of the past. I have to believe, as an electrical engineer, that it is more efficient to generate electricity at the 'grid' level than to do so under the hood of every car ...

I think pushing 'mother earth' and 'care for the environment' in the US is the wrong marketing strategy, and 'global warming' is becoming a much overused concept. The US should push raw economics - it's cheaper to be efficient - and 'energy independence' - stop giving money to the middle east, the people who hate us. "Screw a Terrorist - ride the bus" will probably play better in middle America than "prevent global warming - ride a bus".
Living in Arizona has done wonders for you. You're making more sense lately.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:50 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of related....

I'm told by some that in a handful of cities you can order your groceries online and have them delivered - al a Tesco Direct or whatever it is.

Surely that would work wonders in most towns/cities in the US? So why hasn't it been done?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>
I think pushing 'mother earth' and 'care for the environment' in the US is the wrong marketing strategy, and 'global warming' is becoming a much overused concept. The US should push raw economics - it's cheaper to be efficient - and 'energy independence' - stop giving money to the middle east, the people who hate us. "Screw a Terrorist - ride the bus" will probably play better in middle America than "prevent global warming - ride a bus".
I agree with this completely. Almost everything I've done to become more frugal has been environmentally friendly but the original impetus was to stop throwing money away.
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What I'm intrigued about is how a place can be carbon negative...apparently where the missus works, they have opened a bunch of "stores" that emit less than they consume, how is that possible?

All new places are carbon neutral though at the minimum, which is good.

One thing I don't get, they have free lollipops, which plastic wrappers, that can't be good for the environment, be much better if they were paper.
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Kind of related....

I'm told by some that in a handful of cities you can order your groceries online and have them delivered - al a Tesco Direct or whatever it is.

Surely that would work wonders in most towns/cities in the US? So why hasn't it been done?
There are services like that around but they cost $$$.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Kind of related....

It didn't pay. Several markets tried it here about 15 years ago (when gas was really cheap and wages less than today) and could never make a go. And my city really is the perfect combination of economics, desire & geography.
The natural foods store still does it, and I just saw an organic produce van making a CSA-type delivery to the new neighbors.

(I had snipped out some of your text to save on pixels, but it didn't make sense, so I've added it back. You're worth it.)
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The poster's comment above about "avoiding a 100 mile drive unless it is absolutely necessary" (due to CO2 emissions) really hits a nerve with me; I think it is a bad way to look at the situation, and is really missing the point when it comes to trying to make the most of a limited time in the country.
http://madeinbrunel.com/projects/alt...-battery-cell/

Just thought of you when I saw that...there's also a nice fan design amongst the projects this year
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It didn't pay. Several markets tried it here about 15 years ago (when gas was really cheap and wages less than today) and could never make a go. And my city really is the perfect combination of economics, desire & geography.
The natural foods store still does it, and I just saw an organic produce van making a CSA-type delivery to the new neighbors.

(I had snipped out some of your text to save on pixels, but it didn't make sense, so I've added it back. You're worth it.)
The one that failed was called "Web Van." I think the Vons/Safeway people took it over here in California.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What I'd like is a nice little corner shop I could walk to.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
In today's paper...

Sales of full-size pickups, an economic indicator and a profits driver for Detroit's Big Three automakers, have stalled this spring.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...7/1003/rsslink

Rams are still 'way ahead of the curve 'though.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

On the bags: Trader Joe's uses only paper but give you raffle tickets if you bring in totes.
Has anyone ever actually won their raffles? And I wonder if the green thing is because it's owned by a German?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:56 pm
Yeah that guy.

Originally Posted by meauxna

Actually the CSA I used to belong to did that. Now I grow all my own stuff so I'm good.

And yes, I am worth it.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

On the CFL's -- I note that they are getting better all the time -- almost instant on and the color is fine. They also seem to last longer. On the dimmer and three way issues, I was in a wholesale electric shop [for a bathroom remodel]. I am informed that the issue is being taken care of on two fronts -- bulbs and switches. Like with computers, there are issues with infrastructure and backwards compatibility.

California and LA have introduced "green codes" which the LA inspector clued me in on. He told me that many of the contractors haven't figured it out yet -- but the inspectors are patient.

One thing that is more green is the installation of A/C -- our new units burn a hell of a lot less watts than the old stuff and are quieter on top of it. In we went for the minimum Federal standard rather than really high efficiency simply because the micro-climate where we live is fairly mild -- it would take 25 years to recoup the cost by energy savings. If we lived 10 miles away, we would have gone for higher efficiency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.