British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Back to Uk for 10 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/back-uk-10-days-636602/)

bettyboo67 Oct 29th 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Back to Uk for 10 days

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 8054507)
So we leave for Canada tomorrow - Daughter already beside herself - me - just empty :( really dont want to go but have to - -hubby, dogs house etc. . .think I may actually be clinically depressed i feel so goddam low! :(

I can totally empathise ,felt exactly the same way when we came back in April.
Sounds as if you're one step ahead of us with the interview lined up so you just need to concentrate on your escape plan now.
I did feel a little better once we were actually back its mainly the trauma of all the goodbyes (or at least it was for me) which were so much worse 2nd time around.
Thinking of you and sending you some karma

Diane

pinkkristen Oct 29th 2009 8:17 pm

So we leave for Canada tomorrow - Daughter already beside herself - me - just empty :( really dont want to go but have to - -hubby, dogs house etc. . .think I may actually be clinically depressed i feel so goddam low! :(

Keep your chin up! Hope all works out for you. We are going back to Uk for christmas and will probably be exactly the same!! Gonna have to throw my husband on the plane!!

quoll Oct 29th 2009 8:26 pm

Aw {{{hugs}}} you may well be depressed - situational depression is a real thing, unfortunately only cured by removing yourself from the depressing situation. I know how you feel though - I howl all the way from Cambridge to London usually (very scary for all the other train passengers!) and then again on the plane out of H'row and the gloom when they say "Welcome to Australia":thumbdown:

But, chin up, you will get through it and now you know where you want to live the only life you have, then you can start to work out how to achieve that. In the mean time if your doctor offers you medications or therapy - try the therapy, there are tricks for helping the mind think that things arent as bad as they seem (thought stopping works for me). And start planning for your next trip back to sanity! Good luck tomorrow, it will be a sh*t of a day but you will live through it!

The4BellsLondon Oct 29th 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks all - will let you know when we have arrived - just off to scrape daughter off floor !! poor thing is one big soggy snotty mess! am JUST holding it together! but tids v v hard!

kazchug Oct 30th 2009 2:07 am

I go back for 10 days on Sunday also leaving hubby here, he's afraid I won't come back...... tempting as I miss home so much. I will see my contract through till March 2011, then I know it's time to go back. May even leave a bit early and return for xmas next year. Hope all went well, will exchange notes on my return.
Karen

dollface Oct 30th 2009 2:18 am

Originally Posted by pinkkristen (Post 8055355)
Keep your chin up! Hope all works out for you. We are going back to Uk for christmas and will probably be exactly the same!! Gonna have to throw my husband on the plane!!

that's nice your going back for Xmas hun. Remember and come back tho'!!

janeyk Oct 30th 2009 3:07 am

in our family another name we use is for people you avoid is 'Barry Lagers' young groups of lads wearing footie shirts and very drunk
I recounted this in my NZ office where we have Chinese, Ozzies and NZ's they thought this was a great term in fact is now officially adopted here!

Griff Oct 30th 2009 4:14 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 8055514)
Thanks all - will let you know when we have arrived - just off to scrape daughter off floor !! poor thing is one big soggy snotty mess! am JUST holding it together! but tids v v hard!

Just think that coming back is a necessary part of planning your permanent return - which it is.
Don't think about leaving, think about it positively - got to come back to close up and get back, it is a temporary phase and you will do it

Take care of yourself, see you on the 6th?

Elaine

The4BellsLondon Oct 30th 2009 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 8056381)
Just think that coming back is a necessary part of planning your permanent return - which it is.
Don't think about leaving, think about it positively - got to come back to close up and get back, it is a temporary phase and you will do it

Take care of yourself, see you on the 6th?

Elaine

deffo! will need it!

Lothianlad Oct 30th 2009 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Erica (Post 8034384)
OK, so what is a CHAV, really?

We call them Neds here in Scotland but they are the exact same species.....they are being bred quite steadily.....disaffected youths in the main, disadvantaged through no fault of their own at all for the most part as the most discriminated against section of UK society are first and foremost....young males, whether white, black, brown but mostly white young men.

These guys are brought up in single parent families with no male around at all as some kind of role model.....this has increasingly been the case since the 1980s.....single mothers who have no desire at all to have a man around the house....so boys are at a major disadvantage from the moment they emerge from the womb.

They then go to school and find themselves even more sinned against and disadvantaged as the education system they enter up on massively feminised under a policy and a system which is heavily geared to favour girls so from the word go the boys are virtually regarded as some kind of "underclass". In many cases in primary schools they will find all the teachers are female, and a fair proportion of those female teachers go so far as to marginalise the boys in many ways - often driven by some kind of agenda in which a higher value is placed on girls and their education and development rather than on boys. So even at school these young boys find there is no role model for them. Even the classroom curriculum is heavily weighted in favour of the girls.

So, both at home and in schools very many young boys are actually discriminated against and made to feel of less value.

When they go home and watch TV the heavily feminist agenda influenced media further impresses on the minds of the young men that they are a sort of second class species and very often the male of the species is portrayed in a negative light in so many ways. Positive portrayals of males are underplayed while those of the females are either ignored or very much underplayed.

TV ads show males as either stupid, ignorant or useless while females are routinely shown as being super efficient, sweetly innocent in a permanent state of victimhood - all sugar and spice and all things nice sort of thing....

So what else is there for these young lads to do but to act as they do? All in all it isn't their fault that they turn into neds or chavs, dependfing where you live in this island nation of ours.

So here are some chavs in Manchester, England - out doing their stuff because nobody has guided them to do anything better as far too many people just don't wand to know as they are only boys after all.......lads who are not so much sinning, but very much sinned against by society.

You can bet your next month's salary that while these lads are out on the streets running wild their "mothers" (what a misnomer that one is!) are either out at bingo, down the pub getting nissed as a pewt or shagging their latest piece of you know what......probably another ned or a chav who has not been taught to know any better because he has been deprived of any kind of decent MALE role model......Ned/Chav Britannia at its best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyU2...eature=related

Kirstine Oct 30th 2009 2:58 pm

It sounds like you've made your mind up of where you wanna be! I'd definately go back to the UK if you are feeling like this as it's difficult enough feeling depressed without feeling it in another country away from your support network.

I can totally sympathise with you though as I pretty much am feeling the same about being here at the minute. I miss my old life, my friends, family, jobs and everything that was familiar to me. There are some things about Canada I will miss, for example we were out at Jasper, etc yesterday and it was snowing and I was just loving that area and the people were great. But I'm not liking were we live at the minute, I'm unimpressed with the employers I've had and I find the people in my area snobby, along with other various reasons, I just can't say Canada has been that amazing for me and I feel like I had and achieved more back home.

If the UK is definately what you want, get cracking with the plans and it will seriously help you feel better knowing plans are underway to get back.

The4BellsLondon Oct 31st 2009 4:04 pm

well am back - hmm - sun out but not in my heart!

Nu-Shooz Oct 31st 2009 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 8060159)
well am back - hmm - sun out but not in my heart!

Do they celebrate Halloween there?

Been sunny today here in UK, on Halloween which is strange (normally freezing).
Chin up girl:)

The4BellsLondon Oct 31st 2009 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8060165)
Do they celebrate Halloween there?

Been sunny today here in UK, on Halloween which is strange (normally freezing).
Chin up girl:)

yup - we have a halloween party to go to tonight - I shall go as The grump!

Erica Oct 31st 2009 5:02 pm

Poor you. I feel like that every time we come back from the UK. It usually lifts after a few weeks but it has been hanging around for me for 2 months now. I am also thinking that I need to get some help with this depression. Whenever I think of England I just want to cry. I find that going for a walk somewhere beautiful in the trees and sunshine and just breathing and being in the moment here help me to appreciate it more. Do you have anywhere you can go for a walk in nature? I try to stay away from all the things that irritate me/get me down about it for a while if possible. At least you are very clear about where you need to be and that is better than being in limbo and indecision, isn't it? I really really hope things work out for you and you can all get home soon!