British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Back to Uk for 10 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/back-uk-10-days-636602/)

The4BellsLondon Oct 20th 2009 6:31 am

Back to Uk for 10 days

Ok - so tomorrow me and kids are back to the Uk for a 10 day pre planned trip - hubby staying to mind the hounds!

Unfort as it has coincided with me at my lowest and really wanting to go home I am managing to get myself into a right state about coming back and havent even packed the sutcases yet.

will some one please give me slap and tell me to just go, enjoy my hol, come back, shoulders back, chest out, do the ski season and then decide on my next step in life..

actually that feels better already . . .

What will I see - a beautiful Uk or a place full of chavs - will let you know peeps . . . . . .

Elaine B. Oct 20th 2009 6:46 am

Re: Back to Uk for 10 days

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 8029727)
Ok - so tomorrow me and kids are back to the Uk for a 10 day pre planned trip - hubby staying to mind the hounds!

Unfort as it has coincided with me at my lowest and really wanting to go home I am managing to get myself into a right state about coming back and havent even packed the sutcases yet.

will some one please give me slap and tell me to just go, enjoy my hol, come back, shoulders back, chest out, do the ski season and then decide on my next step in life..

What will I see - a beautiful Uk or a place full of chavs - will let you know peeps . . . . . .

SLAP!! Hope that helps;)
I remember my first trip back after being in Canada for about a year and I remember being on a bus in Belfast and saying to my OH rather smugly thank goodness we life in Canada now. But that was before we had kids and before the boredom had set in. I don't dislike Canada but it was never really "home". I really hope you enjoy your trip back and work out what you need to do to be happy. Good luck:)

Londonuck Oct 20th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 8029757)
SLAP!! Hope that helps;)
I remember my first trip back after being in Canada for about a year and I remember being on a bus in Belfast and saying to my OH rather smugly thank goodness we life in Canada now. But that was before we had kids and before the boredom had set in. I don't dislike Canada but it was never really "home". I really hope you enjoy your trip back and work out what you need to do to be happy. Good luck:)

Mental isnt it... happens to all of us.

Only trouble is Elaine, im having the thoughts the other way round now. The work situ here is driving me nutso. At least you're up there, with regards to the cost of living. Down here its outrageous!

I'd go back to tomorrow if i could.

Slap away!

Jo.Ru_onway Oct 20th 2009 7:31 am

Whatever happens enjoy your trip, we will be thinking of you
:thumbsup:

bettyboo67 Oct 20th 2009 7:44 am

We went back in April after 2 years, I had a great time and it was definately harder coming back this time, my kids saying goodbye to my mum was the hardest bit (I'm really not helping here am I?) but if you know its not going to be for long it won't be so bad and you never know you might remember why you left in the first place.

Have a great trip and keep us posted

Elaine B. Oct 20th 2009 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 8029842)
Mental isnt it... happens to all of us.

Only trouble is Elaine, im having the thoughts the other way round now. The work situ here is driving me nutso. At least you're up there, with regards to the cost of living. Down here its outrageous!

I'd go back to tomorrow if i could.

Slap away!

Sorry to hear things are still not great for you when the work situation sucks everything looks grim. Of course the grass is so much greener north of the border;)

Nu-Shooz Oct 20th 2009 8:30 am

SLAP SLAP...listen, you will see abit of both, beauty and the beast.

I see more beauty as i'm sure you will. Don't go looking for the bad things, enjoy yourself and embrace.;)

luvwelly Oct 20th 2009 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8029973)
SLAP SLAP...listen, you will see abit of both, beauty and the beast.

I see more beauty as i'm sure you will. Don't go looking for the bad things, enjoy yourself and embrace.;)

My advice would be don't read the press nor watch the news on tv and just judge it on what you personally actually see and experience. Enjoy.

quoll Oct 20th 2009 10:52 am

Just count your blessings and enjoy your holiday. I am sure you will be fine because you know you will be planning for something else afterwards.

I tend to see the beauty (except in Plymouth where I saw the chavs!).

Erica Oct 20th 2009 2:52 pm

Have a wonderful time and, as someone already said, don't even pick up a newspaper! I was there in August and it was really lovely - until I happened to look through a Daily Mail or something like that and there I saw a very different picture and not one that reflected my own experiences.

Mountain Girl Oct 20th 2009 3:20 pm

Good luck with the visit :thumbup: . Dont dread it just enjoy. When I went back this summer I kind of dreaded it too. Dont know why really, think I was scared of liking it too much, I never left because I hated it. The visit turned out well, I had a great time and it put things into perspective for me. Neither country is better they are just different

Your canadian adventure doesnt have to be for ever, its really ok which ever you choose. Dont be too hard on yourself, if you need to move back then so be it .

Just relax and enjoy the next few weeks.

Ciderman Oct 20th 2009 4:19 pm

Chill out, relax and enjoy the holiday. Best empty your mind of all thoughts Canadian and returning for most of the trip until the last day or so and then see how your're feeling.

When we were in the UK for 10 days in September I didn't think about Canada or the impending return at all after the first day. It was only two days before we were due to return that the realization dawned we had to come back to Canada and we really didn't want to.

I watched the news, looked at the papers and we even observed some Chavs in their natural habitat and none of it put us off returning in the slightest. Have fun and eat some Galaxy chocolate on behalf of my wife.

The4BellsLondon Oct 20th 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks all -will let you know how it goes. Currently trying to get dd to remove half her clothes -she seems to think that as we can take 2 x 23kg suitcases each that she has to!!

brizzle Oct 20th 2009 7:13 pm

Hope you enjoy your trip. Like others have said just enjoy your stay and try to put whatever else is happening on the back-burner.

I recently came back from a UK visit. I really noticed how some parts of the UK are really pretty and some of the architecture is superb. There definitely, however, seems to be a huge gap between the have's and have-not's. It seems to be quite tricky to find a nice (affordable) area to live in with finding work, schools etc. There is definitely more of a good/bad areas factor then here, I find.

Also really noticed the variance in pricing of goods. Some things are a bargain and at other times it seemed expensive. If you shop around, I think that goods can be cheaper in the UK, but if you accept convenience you'll pay through the nose. Pricing seems pretty constant here and not as much discounting.

I really appreciated UK media (for all it's faults). Lively interesting TV/radio/newspapers etc. It was a pretty exhausting trip, for emotional reasons I won't go into here, but I would move back in an instant. Sadly OH, didn't seem quite so enamoured with the UK this time round.

jonfrank123 Oct 20th 2009 7:20 pm

You know what, not all chavs are bad. Most of the one's around here seem fairly harmless