Back in Uk;10 week update

Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back in Uk;10 week update

So after only managing 3.5 months in Oz after 2 years of plans, exams, saving, spending and research we came back home! We did emigrate "forever", so it was with some shock I finally and guiltily accepted my true feelings.I can honestly say it was the most truamatic experience of my life. And no I have seen/dealt with my fair share before you point the finger. And yes, I used to scorn people like me. What a lightweight! But if every day brings numbness or unhappiness then please consider returning. It is not worth risking your mental health for. I think unless you sever all ties you cannot fully appreciate what you are doing. We found it rather dull, gorgeous, but dull. Anyway, enough negatives, life is good again!
I can only comment on my experience but I am so happy to be home.I did not realise just how English I was. I did wonder how much I would miss some things and basically I cannot be happy without them. I am not talking about shops, tv (although it is better here) or even family too much, but the very essence of being English, the humour, the countryside, the smells and sounds, the village school, the history, old stuff, ugly stuff, my career, the cows, blah, blah... yes, in short everything. Thankfully we did not leave because we thought it was crap here (we never buy newspapers), but to try for what we thought naively would be a better life. Well it may be for some but no thanks. Yes, we could have been almost mortgage free, so what. More to life than that.
We have achieved so much on our return; husband has landed a great job, we are buying a great house and kids happy to be back and doing the old routine, same school, parks, shops, family and friends etc. Friends, family so pleased to see us.I am not explaining very well, too much wine. Anyway, if you must do this emigration thing please keep a house here just in case.And think very hard. If you are happy with your lot do not go. Just take up a new hobby instead! If you live in an overcrowded shit hole then it may be paradise ...only you will know.
Today was my best day yet. Son back to old school, all excited and happy, saw old friends for a coffee and to borrow some calpol for my teething baby, driving around country lanes, bluebells, avenues of arcing trees, lambs in fields, birdsong, into town, bargains from Woolies, pies from m&s and banter too, then picnic in play park and home to see grandma and have decent cup of tea. Simple eh? I love my life.I am very lucky.I hope anyone reading this will be as happy as me wherver they live. Right I'm off now, need a summer dress from Ebay!

p.s Just out of hospital after scary time. Ok now and great service, only complaint, I was left to it a bit once on the ward.

p.p.s I am going to try to wean myself off here abit so will just pop in now and then. thank you all for your support and just for being there. This site helped me feel safe and normal and not alone.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

little-beauty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Back in Uk;10 week update

Great post, Seasprite.

You gave it a go - most don't, let's face it.

You quickly ascertained that it wasn't for you....no shame in that, whatsoever.

LB.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your post made me a little . I was sitting beside you all the way...driving down the country lanes with the lambs and the bluebells. I was standing by your side in Woolies and M & S...I was even sat by your side at Grandma's having a good old cuppa.

Nice to hear you're enjoying life in good old Blighty...all the best.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to you for trying and getting back when you realised it was not to be.

I am not too far behind you!

Good luck xx
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your post made me a little . I was sitting beside you all the way...driving down the country lanes with the lambs and the bluebells. I was standing by your side in Woolies and M & S...I was even sat by your side at Grandma's having a good old cuppa.

Nice to hear you're enjoying life in good old Blighty...all the best.
oh, I feel blue for you now! I had one of those half smile of my lips all day, now that never happened in Oz.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

tks for the lovely update, i've been wondering how everything has turned out for you all.

britain is a great country, i'm so pleased you are back enjoying it.

hope you continue to make a good recovery from you hospital stay, take care
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to my Auntie last night on the phone and she was only saying how she could never settle anywhere else as she was to English.

I now realise that I am very English and need to have England around me and all the English stuff such as the countryside and the bluebells in spring and the greeness and the the budding trees and spring lambs and all of it really!

Roll on 2-3 years

Seasprite, I am so glad you are loving it back in the UK and I hope you continue to feel that way forever. Good on you for giving it a go.

LibbyX
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:50 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

what a lovely post, i too have been weaning myself off here! lol we are on count down - 15 weeks to go!! wahayyyy

i too have realise i am just too english and dont want to adapt! i thought i would NEVER EVER say that!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:57 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seasprite
e.I did not realise just how English I was. ........ the very essence of being English, the humour, the countryside, the smells and sounds, the village school, the history, old stuff, ugly stuff, my career, the cows, blah, blah... yes, in short everything. .
My hubby would agree totally with all that. Sometimes the little things actually do become more important than you can ever imagine. Its what you are, the things that have shaped you and made you the English person.
After almost 2 yrs here in Canada, its just time to go home now. Back to where we belong. Not that Canada hasn't been good to us, but my husband needs to be where he feels whole again !
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R2D2
My hubby would agree totally with all that. Sometimes the little things actually do become more important than you can ever imagine. Its what you are, the things that have shaped you and made you the English person.
After almost 2 yrs here in Canada, its just time to go home now. Back to where we belong. Not that Canada hasn't been good to us, but my husband needs to be where he feels whole again !
Just out of interest (as we both currently live in Canada), I wonder if your husband misses the same things as mine.

Lack of Career (limited prospects, the buzz, challenge etc)
Cities like London with their history, access to theatre/arts, grittiness, life!

These have been the main things my husband has missed. He isn't very close to his family so that wasn't a main factor for him.

Would be interested to here if any of the above featured on his 'things I miss' list?!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

So after only managing 3.5 months in Oz after 2 years of plans, exams, saving, spending and research we came back home! We did emigrate "forever", so it was with some shock I finally and guiltily accepted my true feelings.I can honestly say it was the most truamatic experience of my life. And no I have seen/dealt with my fair share before you point the finger. And yes, I used to scorn people like me. What a lightweight! But if every day brings numbness or unhappiness then please consider returning. It is not worth risking your mental health for. I think unless you sever all ties you cannot fully appreciate what you are doing. We found it rather dull, gorgeous, but dull. Anyway, enough negatives, life is good again!
I can only comment on my experience but I am so happy to be home.I did not realise just how English I was. I did wonder how much I would miss some things and basically I cannot be happy without them. I am not talking about shops, tv (although it is better here) or even family too much, but the very essence of being English, the humour, the countryside, the smells and sounds, the village school, the history, old stuff, ugly stuff, my career, the cows, blah, blah... yes, in short everything. Thankfully we did not leave because we thought it was crap here (we never buy newspapers), but to try for what we thought naively would be a better life. Well it may be for some but no thanks. Yes, we could have been almost mortgage free, so what. More to life than that.
We have achieved so much on our return; husband has landed a great job, we are buying a great house and kids happy to be back and doing the old routine, same school, parks, shops, family and friends etc. Friends, family so pleased to see us.I am not explaining very well, too much wine. Anyway, if you must do this emigration thing please keep a house here just in case.And think very hard. If you are happy with your lot do not go. Just take up a new hobby instead! If you live in an overcrowded shit hole then it may be paradise ...only you will know.
Today was my best day yet. Son back to old school, all excited and happy, saw old friends for a coffee and to borrow some calpol for my teething baby, driving around country lanes, bluebells, avenues of arcing trees, lambs in fields, birdsong, into town, bargains from Woolies, pies from m&s and banter too, then picnic in play park and home to see grandma and have decent cup of tea. Simple eh? I love my life.I am very lucky.I hope anyone reading this will be as happy as me wherver they live. Right I'm off now, need a summer dress from Ebay!

p.s Just out of hospital after scary time. Ok now and great service, only complaint, I was left to it a bit once on the ward.

p.p.s I am going to try to wean myself off here abit so will just pop in now and then. thank you all for your support and just for being there. This site helped me feel safe and normal and not alone.
It all sounds great! Thanks for posting and I hope you have recovered from your time in hospital.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent post. So pleased it is all working out for you.
Wish it was me, but one day!!!!
Happy life to you and your family
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're enjoying life back in the UK again.

I envy you.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:01 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

I love reading posts like this, they always make me feel reassured that we are doing the right thing, so thanks for that Seasprite and good luck to you.

TT.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:47 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for almost 1 year now and to be honest I can empathise with your decision to return to the UK.

The rose-coloured spectacles do eventually fall off and what you are left with is a much starker reality than the one you originally perceive (and I think this happens to a lesser or greater degree regardless of your attitude and experience).

However, I think that even though I am intrinsically British and always will be, the thought of actually returning the UK is not an option at the moment. I'm too jaded and I think that this is affecting my perspective. I find that if I play out the situation in my head (of returning to the UK) I can actually almost experience the feelings of disappointment, shock and helplessness (of not being able to return back to Australia - due to cost). Therefore, I personally feel that avoiding this situation should take priority over how I sometimes become frustrated and annoyed at the "little things". In essence, my mind is circumventing my heart and impulses.

I think that the biggest issue for me is being an English guy existing in a relatively disparate Australian society but I try to put this down to assimilation pains and I hope that my perspective will eventually adjust to leave me feeling like I finally belong and understand Australian ways. If this never happens, then I will know that returning to the UK is a viable and consequential option.

Some days I find myself yearning for the UK and having UK-TV really messes with my balanced perspective, I can tell you (especially watching programs like "Grand Designs"). I really miss the geography, TV, culture...ad nauseum but I try to remember that Australia is still a better place to be in although I no longer think that it's the best place to be in. I guess that my last sentence sums up exactly what this waffling post is trying to convey.

However, I do commend you on your decision to go back I think that it's great that it's turned out well for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.