Back in Uk;10 week update

Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in Uk;10 week update

The sad thing is that we have to leave the UK to realise how British we really are (I can't say English cos I'm half Welsh!!)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasprite
oh, I feel blue for you now! I had one of those half smile of my lips all day, now that never happened in Oz.
I know just what you mean. I had a big one of those for 3 weeks in January when I was back in the UK.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 18th 2007 at 4:28 am.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:21 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
We've been here for almost 1 year now and to be honest I can empathise with your decision to return to the UK.

The rose-coloured spectacles do eventually fall off and what you are left with is a much starker reality than the one you originally perceive (and I think this happens to a lesser or greater degree regardless of your attitude and experience).

However, I think that even though I am intrinsically British and always will be, the thought of actually returning the UK is not an option at the moment. I'm too jaded and I think that this is affecting my perspective. I find that if I play out the situation in my head (of returning to the UK) I can actually almost experience the feelings of disappointment, shock and helplessness (of not being able to return back to Australia - due to cost). Therefore, I personally feel that avoiding this situation should take priority over how I sometimes become frustrated and annoyed at the "little things". In essence, my mind is circumventing my heart and impulses.

I think that the biggest issue for me is being an English guy existing in a relatively disparate Australian society but I try to put this down to assimilation pains and I hope that my perspective will eventually adjust to leave me feeling like I finally belong and understand Australian ways. If this never happens, then I will know that returning to the UK is a viable and consequential option.

Some days I find myself yearning for the UK and having UK-TV really messes with my balanced perspective, I can tell you (especially watching programs like "Grand Designs"). I really miss the geography, TV, culture...ad nauseum but I try to remember that Australia is still a better place to be in although I no longer think that it's the best place to be in. I guess that my last sentence sums up exactly what this waffling post is trying to convey.

However, I do commend you on your decision to go back I think that it's great that it's turned out well for you.

interesting viewpoint and psychology

i envy your thought processes, but for me the little things really, really get me down! and therefore life here is sad and experiences are tarnished with the sadness if you know what i mean. We also have three children and i feel by playing around with the pyschological thought process and staying a little while longer, just in case, would be detrimental to their education for one, and their overall stabilty for another......

good post, it made me think
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:48 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post Seaprite, I was lost in the English countryside for afew seconds there, thanks.

Please don't stay away from the site too long, I love reading the posts of you returnees, it keeps my hopes alive and helps to give me the impetus I need to push for what I want and not always what my OH wants. I am so pleased for you and hope you have a wonderful summer.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:23 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Great post seasprite and so good to know that you are enjoying life here so much. Funny how the little things in life can make us so happy.

Dunno about weaning away from BE though. I feel that I sort of know most people on here now and still enjoy chatting and following everyone's life. Will I ever break away? I doubt it.

Keep enjoying and keep us updated
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:24 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Lovely post Seaprite, I was lost in the English countryside for afew seconds there, thanks.

Please don't stay away from the site too long, I love reading the posts of you returnees, it keeps my hopes alive and helps to give me the impetus I need to push for what I want and not always what my OH wants. I am so pleased for you and hope you have a wonderful summer.
It is nice to hear positive post's from the people who go back, as much as i would love to return the prospect does worry me, starting from scratch again etc... so it's really lovely to hear about people returning and it being a success!!!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:37 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Great post seasprite and so good to know that you are enjoying life here so much. Funny how the little things in life can make us so happy.

Dunno about weaning away from BE though. I feel that I sort of know most people on here now and still enjoy chatting and following everyone's life. Will I ever break away? I doubt it.

Keep enjoying and keep us updated
Please don't Louise, I love reading your posts too, always so down to earth and straight to the point.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Great post. It's really good to know that you are now living the dream!

Hope you are on the mend from your hospital stay
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:28 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post seasprite - glad you are happy to be home
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:01 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Just out of interest (as we both currently live in Canada), I wonder if your husband misses the same things as mine.

Lack of Career (limited prospects, the buzz, challenge etc)
Cities like London with their history, access to theatre/arts, grittiness, life!

These have been the main things my husband has missed. He isn't very close to his family so that wasn't a main factor for him.

Would be interested to here if any of the above featured on his 'things I miss' list?!
Again, it isn't family for him either.
And its not his career, he landed a great job here.

Its things like ;
The sights and sounds. Misses seeing sheep in the fields, blossom trees, the sound of church bells ringing out on a Sunday morning, the birds tweeting their little heads off.
The rolling countryside, the interesting landscape (he feels its all the same around here, rather flat and rather bland.) (We came from very pretty Cheshire)
Its the distance to places, and the towns here are all much of a muchness. Not worth travelling an hour to another town which is full of the same big box stores as the last one.
He misses all things historic, much more than he ever imagined.
Its the connection to all things British. The humour, being on exactly the same wavelength, being able to make a joke about something and be understood.

He doesn't have rose tinted specs on here, he is well aware that those aspects he misses are only part of life in the UK, and the country has its negatives too, but its home, and faults or no faults, its where he feels he belongs.

We like a lot of aspects of living in Canada, but its becoming NOT enough to keep us here. We adore the Rockies and have been in about 9 times since weve lived here, but they are not day to day life.

We had considered trying another part of Canada, which may offer us some of the things he doesn't really like about our part of Alberta, but have decided against it, as he feels its predominately the English things he misses, and to get that back we have to go home.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:10 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by R2D2
Again, it isn't family for him either.
And its not his career, he landed a great job here.

Its things like ;
The sights and sounds. Misses seeing sheep in the fields, blossom trees, the sound of church bells ringing out on a Sunday morning, the birds tweeting their little heads off.
The rolling countryside, the interesting landscape (he feels its all the same around here, rather flat and rather bland.) (We came from very pretty Cheshire)
Its the distance to places, and the towns here are all much of a muchness. Not worth travelling an hour to another town which is full of the same big box stores as the last one.
He misses all things historic, much more than he ever imagined.
Its the connection to all things British. The humour, being on exactly the same wavelength, being able to make a joke about something and be understood.

He doesn't have rose tinted specs on here, he is well aware that those aspects he misses are only part of life in the UK, and the country has its negatives too, but its home, and faults or no faults, its where he feels he belongs.

We like a lot of aspects of living in Canada, but its becoming NOT enough to keep us here. We adore the Rockies and have been in about 9 times since weve lived here, but they are not day to day life.

We had considered trying another part of Canada, which may offer us some of the things he doesn't really like about our part of Alberta, but have decided against it, as he feels its predominately the English things he misses, and to get that back we have to go home.
That's a good post R and it's much the same as how I feel. I don't dislike Australia per se, but I have never felt as though I belong here and do miss the little things as well as family and the comfort zone of being with old friends who knew me when I was 'me'.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:14 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by R2D2
Again, (he feels its all the same around here, rather flat and rather bland.)
My god you have just described western Australia
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:53 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Treacle Tart
My god you have just described western Australia
I was going to say that, but couldn't a*s*d with all the flack....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:55 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I was going to say that, but couldn't a*s*d with all the flack....
Well I'm feeling dangerous today
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:58 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Treacle Tart
Well I'm feeling dangerous today
A livewire eh! BTW, my aunt, uncle and cousins lived in Colsterworth Rd. for years. Bet your mum knows them. Used to visit them quite alot too.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Apr 19th 2007 at 6:59 am. Reason: alzheimers!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.