Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

anyone know anything about UK cars?

anyone know anything about UK cars?

Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know anything about UK cars?

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I'll give my guy a ring and make sure he can fit me in when I need him..thanks
We've been back in the UK for a couple of weeks now and getting cars sorted was our first priority. We only had a couple of days before OH was back at work and with no internet we had to resort to doing things the old fashioned way by trailing round garage forecourts to see what they had!

It's not an easy task is it if you're not really into cars and don't know what to look for!

We felt we didn't really have to time to mess about with private sales and getting inspections and the like, so stuck with looking at garages.

One thing I would say, Lisa, is that the two cars you mentioned are extremely popular cars which means that will be reflected in the price. We were initially looking at a Focus, but pretty soon realised that we could get newer/lower milage for a similar budget on other cars, so maybe bear that in mind.

Having said that, we're in the South of England so things may be a little pricier here than in your neck of the woods ...

We had a budget of about £6500 to spend and in the end my husband has got a 10 year old peuguot 406 diesel which cost him £1000 and I've got an A Class Mercedes on an 03 plate which cost about £5000.

At least we're on the road and mobile!!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:51 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering whether to just take it to our mechanic at his garage to have him check it out..
If you trust him and he'll do a good job for a good price, go for it.

I would also go to vw and ford forums and poke around those sites and see what fanatics say to look for and known problems etc with such vehicles.

If possible and if money allows, have a compression test on the engine. If a service history is available, review what has been done to the car and what maintenance is coming up. VDubs (and I think fords) have a timing belt (vs a timing chain) which often enough aren't changed when they should be as its a fairly costly so people either sell, trade in etc - bottom line, the cars end up on lots... so if the mileage is approaching 75-100k make sure the belt is done.

Overhere, I always go to AutoZone with cars I'm thinking of purchasing and have them read the OBD2 to see if there are any stored codes etc. (AutoZone do if for free).. don't know what's available in the UK... worth looking into.

from what I hear, german vw's are far better than brazillian/mexican vw's.

(I personally think peeps charging based on engine size is a ripoff... not like they'll spend more time inspecting a car because it has a few more cc/litre engine.. )
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I can HPI check a car and I'm making sure I find a car thats got service history but other than that I need some guidance..(and no my OH knows less than me)..

so has anybody got any pointers please..
Make sure the steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:21 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
We've been back in the UK for a couple of weeks now and getting cars sorted was our first priority. We only had a couple of days before OH was back at work and with no internet we had to resort to doing things the old fashioned way by trailing round garage forecourts to see what they had!

It's not an easy task is it if you're not really into cars and don't know what to look for!

We felt we didn't really have to time to mess about with private sales and getting inspections and the like, so stuck with looking at garages.

One thing I would say, Lisa, is that the two cars you mentioned are extremely popular cars which means that will be reflected in the price. We were initially looking at a Focus, but pretty soon realised that we could get newer/lower milage for a similar budget on other cars, so maybe bear that in mind.

Having said that, we're in the South of England so things may be a little pricier here than in your neck of the woods ...

We had a budget of about £6500 to spend and in the end my husband has got a 10 year old peuguot 406 diesel which cost him £1000 and I've got an A Class Mercedes on an 03 plate which cost about £5000.

At least we're on the road and mobile!!

Oh you lucky buggers, it sounds like you got absolute bargins there...and I'm jealous because your mobile..

this is exactly my problem about buying private..I know I can do a hpi check but that doesn't tell me if the last owner drove it like he stole it.. and whether something is about to go and is going to cost me a fortune..

I've asked everyone that knows something about cars and everyone has said if you can get a VW, grab it, as they're built like tanks and will go on forever and the focus is just like the poor mans version but it does have one of the best crash test rating for a car thats nearly ten years old and its cheap to run and insure..and luckily they are not that expensive up here (bonus)..

oh bugger it I think I'll just keep hitting the local forecourts around us and see whats on offer...maybe if I wave the cash in their faces they'll give me a discount..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a mechanic with you some of the things you should be looking out for are:

Car Body - Check for straight lines. Anything misaligned is usually the result of an accident. Also check for mismatching paint colours, visible and sill corrosion, and a damaged bumper is a good sign the driver's used it as a stop aide.

Interior - Again check for excessive wear on driver's seat, floor mats etc, especially if the car's advertised with a low mileage. Look also for any signs of water damage - a good nose can usually sniff this out.

Electrics - Check everything works, wipers, lights, etc.

Engine - Should be cleanish so check for leaks, burnt oil smells, etc. Also check battery and terminals for leaks and corrosion. Ask how often oil has been changed and see if there is a history. Poor or no oil changes can be seriously expensive down the road, so check dipstick for clean and full oil levels.

Transmission - You really should have a pro look at this, but if you're buying auto then check transmission fluid & cleanliness levels if possible and ensure there is a smooth engagement between PDRN engagements. If manual transmission again look for smooth gear changes and while accelerating that the clutch does not slip.

Tyres/Wheels - look for decent tread, no visible cracks or bubbles or irregular wear patterns, gouges on the rims, etc.

While test driving the car check whether the engine make any irregular noises or if there is smoke? Does the steering feel responsive and does the car feel stable at a faster speed. Also take note of any shudders, jerks, harsh shifting, and look to see if the car is pulling to one side when driving on a straight road. Also do a full 360 degree left and right turn with the wheel on full lock and check if there are any grinding noises from the wheels - usually a sign of bearing damage.

Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:35 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
If you trust him and he'll do a good job for a good price, go for it.

I would also go to vw and ford forums and poke around those sites and see what fanatics say to look for and known problems etc with such vehicles.

If possible and if money allows, have a compression test on the engine. If a service history is available, review what has been done to the car and what maintenance is coming up. VDubs (and I think fords) have a timing belt (vs a timing chain) which often enough aren't changed when they should be as its a fairly costly so people either sell, trade in etc - bottom line, the cars end up on lots... so if the mileage is approaching 75-100k make sure the belt is done.

Overhere, I always go to AutoZone with cars I'm thinking of purchasing and have them read the OBD2 to see if there are any stored codes etc. (AutoZone do if for free).. don't know what's available in the UK... worth looking into.

from what I hear, german vw's are far better than brazillian/mexican vw's.

(I personally think peeps charging based on engine size is a ripoff... not like they'll spend more time inspecting a car because it has a few more cc/litre engine.. )
thank you thank you..I've just been onto a focus forum and apparently the cam belt doesn't need doing till 100K but most people get it done on the 90K service and it isn't known for failing prematurely...

and I've also been in touch with Luke (mechanic) and he definately votes for buying off a forecourt because of our lack of knowledge....and plus we will have a better chance of recourse should anything go wrong within the first 3 months (due to the forecourt warranty)..

Ohhh...I've just found a 2002 ford focus for £2,495...do you think if I offered the Dealer 2,200 in cash would they take it or laugh me off the court..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:36 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Toontje
Make sure the steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car.

I had to take a second to think about that..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:40 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Macca67
If you don't have a mechanic with you some of the things you should be looking out for are:

Car Body - Check for straight lines. Anything misaligned is usually the result of an accident. Also check for mismatching paint colours, visible and sill corrosion, and a damaged bumper is a good sign the driver's used it as a stop aide.

Interior - Again check for excessive wear on driver's seat, floor mats etc, especially if the car's advertised with a low mileage. Look also for any signs of water damage - a good nose can usually sniff this out.

Electrics - Check everything works, wipers, lights, etc.

Engine - Should be cleanish so check for leaks, burnt oil smells, etc. Also check battery and terminals for leaks and corrosion. Ask how often oil has been changed and see if there is a history. Poor or no oil changes can be seriously expensive down the road, so check dipstick for clean and full oil levels.

Transmission - You really should have a pro look at this, but if you're buying auto then check transmission fluid & cleanliness levels if possible and ensure there is a smooth engagement between PDRN engagements. If manual transmission again look for smooth gear changes and while accelerating that the clutch does not slip.

Tyres/Wheels - look for decent tread, no visible cracks or bubbles or irregular wear patterns, gouges on the rims, etc.

While test driving the car check whether the engine make any irregular noises or if there is smoke? Does the steering feel responsive and does the car feel stable at a faster speed. Also take note of any shudders, jerks, harsh shifting, and look to see if the car is pulling to one side when driving on a straight road. Also do a full 360 degree left and right turn with the wheel on full lock and check if there are any grinding noises from the wheels - usually a sign of bearing damage.

Good luck.

ohhh you know I'm printing this off and taking it with me..Many many thanks..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:48 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone..I haven't started a thread in here for absolute yonks so thought I'd better..

Quick update:

We've been back in the UK for just over a year now and we are loving it!..well now we are..for the first few months we had a lot of WTF moments but we soon found our feet and were off an running in no time..OH has got a great job now and I'm working two days a week which feels great and still gives me plenty of ME time..our social lives are growing, OH has joined the local Cricket team and I've even taken up running...but I still like my fag at the end to finish it off..

I have to admit it took me a while to become quick with my wit as it felt like I was ten minutes behind everyone..my sarcasm had become dulled and blunted..so I made it my number 1 priority to rectify this asap (especially if I was going to survive at the local)..I am now good to go..

DD has fitted into her school..it was a slow process but now she is very happy as she's finally made lots of little friends here..the only thing with school work was that she was behind in Maths, which we are working on but she is exceptional in her reading, so at least she can read the warning labels..

We are all seriously loving the food and the fantastic pubs and bakeries and chippies and curry houses...god we're going to have to slow down before we turn into the size of the house..but every week when I go shopping I always find something else I have to try..

Anyhow back to my question...I have managed to save a couple of grand and desperately need to buy a little run around car...I'm looking at a ford focus or VW golf..now I would really love to buy private rather than a slimey dealer...but I'm not exactly knowledgeable about cars..oh I can spot obvious problems like the wheel hanging off and such...but what I'm asking anybody here is there anything else I should look for?

I can HPI check a car and I'm making sure I find a car thats got service history but other than that I need some guidance..(and no my OH knows less than me)..

so has anybody got any pointers please..
Aye now...get yerself sum bling bling!!
Attached Thumbnails anyone know anything about UK cars?-250px-poser.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:52 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you thank you..I've just been onto a focus forum and apparently the cam belt doesn't need doing till 100K but most people get it done on the 90K service and it isn't known for failing prematurely...

and I've also been in touch with Luke (mechanic) and he definately votes for buying off a forecourt because of our lack of knowledge....and plus we will have a better chance of recourse should anything go wrong within the first 3 months (due to the forecourt warranty)..

Ohhh...I've just found a 2002 ford focus for £2,495...do you think if I offered the Dealer 2,200 in cash would they take it or laugh me off the court..
My view is always - if you don't ask, you don't get. I never talk numbers until I have a car looked at etc. Personally, I'd offer way lower than 2200, but that's me... you can always come up in offer and terms. Cash is king. Your walking otherwise, if they really want the biz, they'll come after you.
parkers.co.uk I think is the UK's equiv to NADA and Kelly Blue Book.
Trade etc was prob around 1k-1200k
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely low ball the offer, especially more so in the last day of the month, they'll be desperate to up their sales numbers and be willing to take a bigger drop in price to shift something.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:16 pm
Last orders please...

My view is always - if you don't ask, you don't get. I never talk numbers until I have a car looked at etc. Personally, I'd offer way lower than 2200, but that's me... you can always come up in offer and terms. Cash is king. Your walking otherwise, if they really want the biz, they'll come after you.
excellent point..offer low and then come up if need be..Parkers says £2,200 private or £2,600 dealer..(the part ex would have been around the 1,200)..so your right,

and yes, I am prepared to walk away if they won't haggle with me..I may be desperate but I'm also desperate to get the most for my money..bring it on!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:16 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by SDDep
Aye now...get yerself sum bling bling!!
now if you had it in lime green..I'd be all over it..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:18 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Bob
Definitely low ball the offer, especially more so in the last day of the month, they'll be desperate to up their sales numbers and be willing to take a bigger drop in price to shift something.
another excellent point to remember...
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

petersmall will become famous soon enough

Definitely offer a lot lower than that, to be honest I would start at well under 2k and see what happens, they will of course refuse but will at least come back with a counter offer. and this is from experience as in my past I worked as a sales controller at a large dealership, I was the chap the salesmen trotted off to when they were trying to do the deal as I was the one who set the price (and told the salesman what to say)!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.