Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

anyone know anything about UK cars?

anyone know anything about UK cars?

Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:14 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone know anything about UK cars?

hello everyone..I haven't started a thread in here for absolute yonks so thought I'd better..

Quick update:

We've been back in the UK for just over a year now and we are loving it!..well now we are..for the first few months we had a lot of WTF moments but we soon found our feet and were off an running in no time..OH has got a great job now and I'm working two days a week which feels great and still gives me plenty of ME time..our social lives are growing, OH has joined the local Cricket team and I've even taken up running...but I still like my fag at the end to finish it off..

I have to admit it took me a while to become quick with my wit as it felt like I was ten minutes behind everyone..my sarcasm had become dulled and blunted..so I made it my number 1 priority to rectify this asap (especially if I was going to survive at the local)..I am now good to go..

DD has fitted into her school..it was a slow process but now she is very happy as she's finally made lots of little friends here..the only thing with school work was that she was behind in Maths, which we are working on but she is exceptional in her reading, so at least she can read the warning labels..

We are all seriously loving the food and the fantastic pubs and bakeries and chippies and curry houses...god we're going to have to slow down before we turn into the size of the house..but every week when I go shopping I always find something else I have to try..

Anyhow back to my question...I have managed to save a couple of grand and desperately need to buy a little run around car...I'm looking at a ford focus or VW golf..now I would really love to buy private rather than a slimey dealer...but I'm not exactly knowledgeable about cars..oh I can spot obvious problems like the wheel hanging off and such...but what I'm asking anybody here is there anything else I should look for?

I can HPI check a car and I'm making sure I find a car thats got service history but other than that I need some guidance..(and no my OH knows less than me)..

so has anybody got any pointers please..
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know anything about UK cars?

My old dad taught me one of the 1st things to look for is wether its a cut and shut ie 2 cars same model welded together, my friends sister was killed due to this, the car fell apart on impact.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:20 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
My old dad taught me one of the 1st things to look for is wether its a cut and shut ie 2 cars same model welded together, my friends sister was killed due to this, the car fell apart on impact.
bloody hell sorry about that..don't worry this is definately one of the main things I'll look for..

the HPI check is actually quite good as you enter the reg number, the VIN and the log book number and it tells you everything about that car from start to finish, even if any finance is outstanding..
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

No nasty fumes and dirty exhaust smog
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:24 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
No nasty fumes and dirty exhaust smog
writing this down..thank you..
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Autotrader will give you a good idea of the going rates and things to look out for on specific models.

FYI for those interested, Kelly Blue Book is the Yankee equivalent.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:32 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
writing this down..thank you..
The AA and similar do vehicle inspections. You need to have a full dealer service not just a history remember there are plenty others that have it. I just got a 4 year old Modus with 8000 on the clock so there are good bargains about especially next month when the new reg come out and all the PX's are turned in
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:36 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Autotrader will give you a good idea of the going rates and things to look out for on specific models.

FYI for those interested, Kelly Blue Book is the Yankee equivalent.
thank you...I've been on the sites so I now know what the cars are worth and seeing whats available near me..
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:37 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Thydney
The AA and similar do vehicle inspections. You need to have a full dealer service not just a history remember there are plenty others that have it. I just got a 4 year old Modus with 8000 on the clock so there are good bargains about especially next month when the new reg come out and all the PX's are turned in
hmmm interesting..thanks for the heads up about dealer history, another one to look for..but I'm sorry I don't think I can wait till next month..I'm going crazy now after waiting this long..
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, get a AA membership, think it's only £30 for them to do a proper check over a car for you, might even get a freebie look over these days, but membership is worth it if your looking second hand.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:00 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm interesting..thanks for the heads up about dealer history, another one to look for..but I'm sorry I don't think I can wait till next month..I'm going crazy now after waiting this long..
I'm only talking the 1st August 3 days away lol
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:07 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Thydney
I'm only talking the 1st August 3 days away lol
but but but I need it and need it now..
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:09 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, get a AA membership, think it's only £30 for them to do a proper check over a car for you, might even get a freebie look over these days, but membership is worth it if your looking second hand.
you know I was just think about that and just had a quick look at their web site...bloody hell the prices has gone up a bit..

How much does it cost?
How much does it cost?

From as little as £122 for members (£136 for non-members), the cost of an inspection depends on the engine size and the type of inspection.

You can reduce the cost still further by buying an AA Car Data Check prior to booking the AA Vehicle Inspection. Just insert your Car Data Check reference number to obtain the full discount.
Basic inspection

A visual assessment of the main mechanical areas of the vehicle however it does not cover bodywork or upholstery. For full details of what is covered in this inspection please go to what we check.
Engine Size AA Member Non Member Car Data Check Customer*
Up to 1800cc £122.00 £136.00 £107.00
Over 1801cc £140.00 £156.00 £125.00

Basic inspections are not available for 4 wheel drive vehicles, or cars that are recorded as a write off by an Insurance Company in the UK, imported vehicles and vehicles over 8 years old.
Comprehensive inspection

A visual assessment of the main mechanical areas of the vehicle, inspection of the bodywork including paint thickness, upholstery and interior trim. For full details of what is covered in this inspection please go to what we check. This inspection is available for vehicles up to 15 years old.
Engine Size AA Member Non Member Car Data Check Customer*
Up to 1400cc £165.00 £184.00 £150.00
1401 to 2000cc £175.00 £195.00 £160.00
2001 to 2500cc £221.00 £246.00 £206.00
Over 2501cc £266.00 £296.00 £251.00

I was wondering whether to just take it to our mechanic at his garage to have him check it out..

Last edited by lisag8070; Jul 28th 2010 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering whether to just take it to our mechanic at his garage to have him check it out..
Ouch...that's gone up a bit...yeah, ask local mechanic.

When my sister last got a new car, she took it to my mothers mechanic, known him for years, he did a basic check over it as if he was doing a oil change/MOT and charged my mum £50 I think, might have been so cheap because she's been going there for about 25 years though, my brother and I used to take our cars there too

Anyone selling a car worth a few grand shouldn't mind the car getting checked out in a garage for an half hour or so, but if it's a banger and a couple hundred quid, that might be different
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:33 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Bob
Ouch...that's gone up a bit...yeah, ask local mechanic.

When my sister last got a new car, she took it to my mothers mechanic, known him for years, he did a basic check over it as if he was doing a oil change/MOT and charged my mum £50 I think, might have been so cheap because she's been going there for about 25 years though, my brother and I used to take our cars there too

Anyone selling a car worth a few grand shouldn't mind the car getting checked out in a garage for an half hour or so, but if it's a banger and a couple hundred quid, that might be different
I'll give my guy a ring and make sure he can fit me in when I need him..thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.