Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

anyone know anything about UK cars?

anyone know anything about UK cars?

Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:43 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know anything about UK cars?

Originally Posted by lisag8070
excellent point..offer low and then come up if need be..Parkers says £2,200 private or £2,600 dealer..(the part ex would have been around the 1,200)..so your right,

and yes, I am prepared to walk away if they won't haggle with me..I may be desperate but I'm also desperate to get the most for my money..bring it on!
around 1600?? My guess is their trade was prob around 1k.
the question to them is if the car was a trade or auction.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:01 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petersmall
Definitely offer a lot lower than that, to be honest I would start at well under 2k and see what happens, they will of course refuse but will at least come back with a counter offer. and this is from experience as in my past I worked as a sales controller at a large dealership, I was the chap the salesmen trotted off to when they were trying to do the deal as I was the one who set the price (and told the salesman what to say)!!
Originally Posted by Tarkak9
around 1600?? My guess is their trade was prob around 1k.
the question to them is if the car was a trade or auction.
wow, really that low..wow I thought I would be pushing it at £500 lower than the asking..maybe thats just the english in me being too polite and not wanting to offend..

OK forewarned is forearmed..I am now determined to go in there and get the bargin of a lifetime..(I hope the car is still on the forecourt)..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

petersmall will become famous soon enough

wow, really that low..wow I thought I would be pushing it at £500 lower than the asking..maybe thats just the english in me being too polite and not wanting to offend..

OK forewarned is forearmed..I am now determined to go in there and get the bargin of a lifetime..(I hope the car is still on the forecourt)..
If you start off by offering 500 below the asking price then you will certainly end up paying somewhere around 200 less than the price, if you start off much lower then there is a better chance you will pay somewhere around 500 less, its almost like a game of dare, they start high, you start low and you end up somewhere near the middle (only near because they normally drop less than you come up).

Telling them that you will pay cash for the car expecting a better deal wont really work, they actually make more money if you pay by finance, just start at a low figure, set your mind on the most you would pay and stick to it, when they counter offer make sure you don't move your offer up to your limit though as once you get there then there is no way back down. (hope that makes sense)

Just from memory, if the car is 2,495 then paying around 2k will be pretty right. remember, they have to make money as well in this!!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:31 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petersmall
If you start off by offering 500 below the asking price then you will certainly end up paying somewhere around 200 less than the price, if you start off much lower then there is a better chance you will pay somewhere around 500 less, its almost like a game of dare, they start high, you start low and you end up somewhere near the middle (only near because they normally drop less than you come up).

Telling them that you will pay cash for the car expecting a better deal wont really work, they actually make more money if you pay by finance, just start at a low figure, set your mind on the most you would pay and stick to it, when they counter offer make sure you don't move your offer up to your limit though as once you get there then there is no way back down. (hope that makes sense)

Just from memory, if the car is 2,495 then paying around 2k will be pretty right. remember, they have to make money as well in this!!
this is why I was worried about going too low, because like you said, they have to make money as well..but yea its makes sense why you start off lower and then work your way up..well fingers crossed that me and the Dealer can meet in the middle..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:39 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

you won't offend. Its just numbers. There is no emotion involved but they rely on your emotional attachment to the car. Pad your offer too, 1600 with x,y,z.... you can remove xyz if needed. My last car purchases 3,200 (asking 7900) and 6500 (asking 10k). Remember, everything is negotiable.. everything!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:41 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
you won't offend. Its just numbers. There is no emotion involved but they rely on your emotional attachment to the car. Pad your offer too, 1600 with x,y,z.... you can remove xyz if needed. My last car purchases 3,200 (asking 7900) and 6500 (asking 10k). Remember, everything is negotiable.. everything!
ain't that the truth..