Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

To anyone about to come 'home' to the UK

To anyone about to come 'home' to the UK

Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of
Default Re: To anyone about to come 'home' to the UK

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Erm, usually caught and sent straight back? If you like to think so.

And as you're still not addressing my point about a 136 being easy to get if you meet the conditions (like anywhere else in the world), I'm going to give up this discussion.
Ok, lets agree to disagree..one final thing, it's EASY to say getting the 136 is easy when you have one..don't you remember the AGONY of the waiting...and the waiting?I do.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:07 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Dont bother GG.

This poster has a track record of trolling on various forums on this site.

He/she did the same thing on MBTUK not so long ago

G
Hello, G.

I've only indulged myself long enough to avoid writing a project proposal I have to work on for an assignment. As I really have to crack on, I shall play no more.

How's you?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

How's you?
Fine thanks

Can't hang about either....I have a meeting this morning.

G
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:11 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Fine thanks

Can't hang about either....I have a meeting this morning.

G
Have a good one, then. Not talked to you in ages though - you shall have to pop into the lounge at a sociable hour.

Catch you later, tater.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:18 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

(Brisbane moved to level 5 water restrictions recently - people are being asked to shower for only 4 minutes at a time).
Aussies being restricted as to when they can shower? Ha ha! After the "poms don't shower" stuff I used to read in their press, it turns out there is a God after all.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:45 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Yes I will, but the difference being immigration is carefully CONTROLLED into Aus, ie, you have to be SKILLED, speak the lingo, etc...ie they think about the bigger picture, the effect mass immirgation will have on the infaststructure, ie hospitals, roads, etc...

Oh dear. You really haven't a clue about what goes on there do you? You are in for a huge shock. I worked for a plasterers Association there and the amount of people who turned up for site safety training who couldn't even speak English let alone write it was unbelievable. They all worked on sites for heaps less money than the Aussie workers, live in houses together and many send most of their money back home to their families. We discovered that some of the Aussie companies are actually arranging for these people to come over to Oz purley to provide cheap labour.

Whilst it may be difficult for people from the UK to get into Oz, there are so many other nationalities who get in there through loopholes and who don't need to be skilled.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:53 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LouiseD

Oh dear. You really haven't a clue about what goes on there do you? You are in for a huge shock. I worked for a plasterers Association there and the amount of people who turned up for site safety training who couldn't even speak English let alone write it was unbelievable. They all worked on sites for heaps less money than the Aussie workers, live in houses together and many send most of their money back home to their families. We discovered that some of the Aussie companies are actually arranging for these people to come over to Oz purley to provide cheap labour.

Whilst it may be difficult for people from the UK to get into Oz, there are so many other nationalities who get in there through loopholes and who don't need to be skilled.
I agree Louise, my husbands company have just sponsered 10 blokes from Indonesia and are paying them $12 an hour, all of them are sharing a house.
He said they barely speak any english.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:43 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Treacle Tart
I agree Louise, my husbands company have just sponsered 10 blokes from Indonesia and are paying them $12 an hour, all of them are sharing a house.
He said they barely speak any english.
sorry got my facts a bit wrong, it's $17 per hour , but it's still $7 per hour less than they are pay ing the australian tradesmen.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Not exactly sure why 19M in Aus and 60M in Britain "says it all" exactly - a socking great chunk of Aus is an uninhabitable desert-like area and the UK is only 14% urban land so there is plenty of space - provided the Gov of the day permit it to be used.

Whilst we might have 600,000 Polish or whatever that have moved to the UK, we also have 1M+ British that have moved to Spain and France - that's the deal with the EU membership.
If you have read the latest British expats newsletter, you will see that it is nearer 200,000 ex-pats living in Spain and of that amount the VAST MAJORITY are retired, so are therefore SUPPORTING THEMSELVES and I know for a fact in France you are on your own/get NO help period...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Erm, usually caught and sent straight back? If you like to think so.

And as you're still not addressing my point about a 136 being easy to get if you meet the conditions (like anywhere else in the world), I'm going to give up this discussion.
Addressing you point:- Try reading posts 48+53 again...

Like anywhere else in the world? If that is the case, WHY can I think of only a handfull of countries who have a "Points system" or the like to TRY to control imigration...Even IF the UK does eventually implement such a scheme, it will be a case of closing the stable door MANY YEARS AFTER the horse has bolted...

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, ie some who are determined enough to slip through the net, but having a points system or the like is surely better than an open door policy!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

I know for a fact in France you are on your own/get NO help period...
This is very true. No handouts what so ever here, and quite right too.

We came here knowing that we would have to fend for ourselves and we have done.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:08 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

If you have read the latest British expats newsletter, you will see that it is nearer 200,000 ex-pats living in Spain and of that amount the VAST MAJORITY are retired, so are therefore SUPPORTING THEMSELVES and I know for a fact in France you are on your own/get NO help period...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/arti...831037,00.html indicates that the number is around 750,000 - many haven't registered. The reason why most are retired is that Spain is a difficult place to find well paid work.

You appear to be assuming that most people coming to the UK do not support themselves, do you have any data on that?

forgot to add this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...s_abroad/html/

Last edited by Cape Blue; Apr 22nd 2007 at 7:18 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/arti...831037,00.html indicates that the number is around 750,000 - many haven't registered. The reason why most are retired is that Spain is a difficult place to find well paid work.

You appear to be assuming that most people coming to the UK do not support themselves, do you have any data on that?

forgot to add this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...s_abroad/html/
Agreed, Spain is indeed difficult to find well paid work therefore validating my point that the majority of Brits who are there are retired, therefore supporting themselves, so are NOT a burdon on the system there AND also as stated above you get NO help in France, either...

Bringing me on to your 2nd point...i'm NOT assuming that MOST people coming to the UK do NOT support themselves, but it is certainly EASIER for them to play the system, (as well as working in may cases, SEE POSTS 55+56) than in the 2 countries mentioned above...