Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:57 am
Just Joined

manyoo will become famous soon enoughmanyoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

I think its just like a bad marriage.How many times have you heard of people married for 20-30yrs with nothing in common?They just wake up one day and think WTF am I doing.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by manyoo
I think its just like a bad marriage.How many times have you heard of people married for 20-30yrs with nothing in common?They just wake up one day and think WTF am I doing.
Yes I agree-however its not easy for us....

England is quite hard-traffic,council tax, rising property etc BUT u have to go were u feel u need to be what ever the weather -thats the key-so we have no choice-u have to get out of the marriage, however painful the divorce....
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

We are in the same boat.Not enough to buy outright and might find it hard to secure a mortgage.OH should find work ...bit harder for me.Two small boys will hopefully adapt without too much drama.Its hard to leave your comfort zone (albeit boring)and go into the unknown.After living in sydney for 20yrs I couldnt wait live in paradise by the beach in Perth.(cheap then).I knew Oz was boring but Perth took it to a new level.We escaped to Brisbane and I am afraid its feels much the same.Its still Oz.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

We are in the same boat.Not enough to buy outright and might find it hard to secure a mortgage.OH should find work ...bit harder for me.Two small boys will hopefully adapt without too much drama.Its hard to leave your comfort zone (albeit boring)and go into the unknown.After living in sydney for 20yrs I couldnt wait live in paradise by the beach in Perth.(cheap then).I knew Oz was boring but Perth took it to a new level.We escaped to Brisbane and I am afraid its feels much the same.Its still Oz.
Agreed-we are originally from melbourne what an arrogant place that is-I remember when Jeff Kennett was in-what a barstool-arrogance personified- a perfect leader for there! I will never forget Kennett covering an artist's work outside of the Victorian College of the Arts-It was marvellous! A billboard with Barbra Kruger like slogans "You are not Immortal" or words to that effect!

U think u have got it bad try Russell Island-We have been totally fooled.Oh yes we asked questions but only found it later once we were there, it is unsafe for our family-TOO LATE>>>>>>>>>>>

PB (pommie bastard)-who used to be on this forum said: "there is more to do in a week in Britain than in Australia for a whole year"!! unless of course there you like: sportsportsportsportsportsportsportsportsportsport sportsportsportsportsport
sportsportsportsportsportsportsportsportsportsport sportsportsportsportsport
sportsportsportsportsportsportsportsportsportsport sportsportsportsportsport:
and there is also ah ah yes sport....
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Well I do like football.But they dont really regard it a real sport.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Well I do like football.But they dont really regard it a real sport.

that only because they didn't invent it!!!!!

Manyoo and both worlds........you are both very brave, but you are the proof that no matter how long you spend here, if you don't feel yourself, then it's not for you........how come you stayed for so long?!

Where in the uk you two heading? I have become a bloody expert on property prices in the uk as I have been on rightmove forever! I swear I could become a uk relo agent!!!

Propertry prices in Northampton, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire(parts of) and also Norfolk and Suffolk are fairly reasonable..........
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:14 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
I have just realized he is gone!! Good....

Look for me personally I have a VERY sad story living here and I dont really want to go into that now-Basically it comes down to where u feel u belong no matter how hard it is or the weather! I feel I dont belong here I have been here since I was 12 and it feels as foreign now as it did back when I came through Sydney harbour-I have family here AND the UK-its very diificult-3 of us want to go but my son wants to stay because of the family-we have said when u are old enough u can come back-So cant simply dismiss Australia but I really do WANT TO!

U have to sit down and say where do I feel "me" If its the UK great-it wont be easy we wont have money as we have spent it on land but we are going to live on the canals and hopefully find piece at last....

Please please dont wait 35 years like I did

I run and walk the canals for miles and have found the happiest and most friendly people on those lovely barges, they just seem at peace with the world
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
I run and walk the canals for miles and have found the happiest and most friendly people on those lovely barges, they just seem at peace with the world
I actually I do have a 36' in a mooring at the moment-but we will have get a 70' to live on- We will work to see if we can get a home (eventually) I am going to have a go at property investment like "Homes under the hammer"

Worried abit about the market but I want to-thats the key.....
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz

Manyoo and both worlds........you are both very brave, but you are the proof that no matter how long you spend here, if you don't feel yourself, then it's not for you........how come you stayed for so long?!

Where in the uk you two heading? I have become a bloody expert on property prices in the uk as I have been on rightmove forever! I swear I could become a uk relo agent!!!

Propertry prices in Northampton, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire(parts of) and also Norfolk and Suffolk are fairly reasonable..........
The parts of Cambridgeshire that I would be happy to live in are in the fairly unreasonable bit still!!!! However it is all a moot point, I peruse the real estate pages "just in case" (I win Tatts!)
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:41 am
Just Joined

I originally came from Knutsford Cheshire, OH came from Wythenshawe 12yrs ago.Been together 11yrs. OH escaped the council estate and had no plans to return,however in the last 6months has changed her mind.We are looking at Cheshire as she wants to be close to her family around Manchester.I dont have a any preferences except it has to be in a good area for our two boys aged 8&9.Got a sister in Knotts end (Poulton le fylde) she tells me its nice there.I just keep reading posts and getting ideas from all those that have lived in different parts.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I originally came from Knutsford Cheshire, OH came from Wythenshawe 12yrs ago.Been together 11yrs. OH escaped the council estate and had no plans to return,however in the last 6months has changed her mind.We are looking at Cheshire as she wants to be close to her family around Manchester.I dont have a any preferences except it has to be in a good area for our two boys aged 8&9.Got a sister in Knotts end (Poulton le fylde) she tells me its nice there.I just keep reading posts and getting ideas from all those that have lived in different parts.
I did resend your pm.....hope you got it.

I know there are a few on here from your part of the world, my Aunt lives in Chester. It is very nice in many parts, I guess regarding the council estate thing, does it really matter if thats where your or wifes family are? I think we are all very materialistic. The bottom line is being where you want to be. Having that great debate myself at the moment, amazingly how snobby one can become after having that much more space. I think we are going to have to sell most of our furniture as it won't fit in Little Britain housing!!! Every house we've looked at is "well, will the sofa fit..." or "will the table fit?"

I will be looking forever at this rate!!!! At the end of the day it is just a roof.

Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
The parts of Cambridgeshire that I would be happy to live in are in the fairly unreasonable bit still!!!! However it is all a moot point, I peruse the real estate pages "just in case" (I win Tatts!)

me too!!! Reckon we have a better chance out here......less players!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:46 am
Just Joined

I would love to read on these pages one day.IVE JUST WON THE BIG ONE.even if it wasnt me
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

me too!!! Reckon we have a better chance out here......less players!
Yes I know Torquay-its before Apollo bay? Great Ocean road-been to the 12 Apostles-even down onto the beach-reminds me of Dorset where I grew up