Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Gibbo29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

After 2 years of living in Sydney, my boyf and i have decided to move back to the UK. We absolutely love it here but have reached the next stage of our relationship (i.e. marriage/kids/house) and cant imagine doing that without our families around us...

All our friends here think we are mad and think we will regret it (and sometimes i think they are right). The scary thing is we cant come back here if we dont like it. (we went to see a migration lawyer and we dont have enough points for an easy return etc)

But anyway - we've made the decision and will get back to the midlands in August this year.

Does anyone have any tips for making the whole process easier? and not missing Aus so much?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips for settling back in the UK after life in Aus?

Originally Posted by Gibbo29
After 2 years of living in Sydney, my boyf and i have decided to move back to the UK. We absolutely love it here but have reached the next stage of our relationship (i.e. marriage/kids/house) and cant imagine doing that without our families around us...

All our friends here think we are mad and think we will regret it (and sometimes i think they are right). The scary thing is we cant come back here if we dont like it. (we went to see a migration lawyer and we dont have enough points for an easy return etc)
What visa have you got right now?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Gibbo29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
What visa have you got right now?
i'm sponsored on a 457.. but i also want to leave my job, so that added to the moving back decision (was only a small part of it tho)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

i'm sponsored on a 457.. but i also want to leave my job, so that added to the moving back decision (was only a small part of it tho)
In that case, if you've nothing to lose, I'd suggest maybe trying out things back in the U.K. but keep an open mind as to where you'd really like to be. If you can't get a permanent Australian visa then the option isn't quite as clear cut anyway. Does your employer want you to stay?

Do you have much in the way of possessions etc to ship back to the U.K.? If so and you're unsure, maybe leave them in storage for a short while after you go back.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

But anyway - we've made the decision and will get back to the midlands in August this year.

Does anyone have any tips for making the whole process easier? and not missing Aus so much?
My tip is - get on with your life and enjoy it as much as you can. Do not look backwards. At least that's what I will endeavour to do when I get back to UK this year

Good luck to you - decision made.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of

We are moving back to UK end of this August and have been here for 9 months now. I don't regret coming over but I can't wait to get back home to family and friends! My attitude will be, when I return to the UK, been there, tried it, wasn't for us but at least we can say we done it. No looking back and saying what if - just look forward to the future and everything will all be good.

Well that is my motto anyway

Good luck to everyone returning home
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:42 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be open your eyes to the great things about the UK. It wasnt until i had been away for several years and went back last year that i really appreciated a lot of things i used to take for granted. See it from the eyes of a foreigner if need be and do things you never did before. I certainly will be when i finally get back for good
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't have any tips for you but I think you are making a wise move. Both my kids were born here in Canada and it really is difficult going through major moments in your life without your family around for support. Good luck with the move back.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:33 pm
Banned

alentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to all

yeh when you get back,at the moment were losing our houses and jobs are decreasing but crimes on the increase if your into drugs and guns welcome home
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alentejo joe
yeh when you get back,at the moment were losing our houses and jobs are decreasing but crimes on the increase if your into drugs and guns welcome home
really is there any need??
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

You are not answering the question asked so why are you posting?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:47 pm
Banned

alentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to allalentejo joe is a name known to all

truth hurts
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:51 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

truth hurts
Idiot. If you have nothing constructive to say then don`t say anything.:curse:
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:52 pm
Banned

lifes a big bundle of cotton wool
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lifes a big bundle of cotton wool
Great information, very useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.