Airlines - Carry Ons

Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Airlines - Carry Ons

mbttuks, I was wondering something... the air transat says one "carry on" does that mean your purse is your carry on and nothing else or are they counting that as a purse and perfectly fine. One of the reasons why we liked Iceland Air was that even their economy price (which is cheaper than the ATS) offered two checked bags at no cost, plus a carry on and a purse. We're trying to do this move without shipping anything (hahahaha!) or at least minimizing it where possible. But a carry on AND a purse/handbag is absolutely a non-negotiable. I don't want to have to dig through a small suitcase to find things like passports and stuff!!! No thank you! LOL!
Blessings, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sue; Jun 5th 2014 at 11:29 am. Reason: Moved from "UK PASSPORT HAS BEEN DISPATCHED!!" thread
Old Jun 5th 2014, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice
Default Re: UK PASSPORT HAS BEEN DISPATCHED!!

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
mbttuks, I was wondering something... the air transat says one "carry on" does that mean your purse is your carry on and nothing else or are they counting that as a purse and perfectly fine. One of the reasons why we liked Iceland Air was that even their economy price (which is cheaper than the ATS) offered two checked bags at no cost, plus a carry on and a purse. We're trying to do this move without shipping anything (hahahaha!) or at least minimizing it where possible. But a carry on AND a purse/handbag is absolutely a non-negotiable. I don't want to have to dig through a small suitcase to find things like passports and stuff!!! No thank you! LOL!
No your purse is not counted at all as a carry on, you can take a separate carry on and your purse. I booked through Canadian Affair which are cheaper than Air Transat, but they fly Air Transat. Check them out, although I booked a few months back and it was cheaper than now. Didn't know about Iceland Air when I booked. You can pay extra for two bag allowance, we too are not shipping stuff over so taking two bags was important to me too.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airlines - Carry Ons

We were told with Virgin that the handbag counts as the carry on unless we stuffed it inside our main carry on. I think it depends on the airline.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We were told with Virgin that the handbag counts as the carry on unless we stuffed it inside our main carry on. I think it depends on the airline.
I guess it does depend on the airline you're right, but it's silly for them to include purses, every flight I've ever been on all the women are told to put their purses under the seat, right! , and in the overheads are always where the carry on cases go.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
they don't always enforce this. I always fly with Virgin and carry a large handbag and then also have a carry on bag and I have never had a problem.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
they don't always enforce this. I always fly with Virgin and carry a large handbag and then also have a carry on bag and I have never had a problem.

See, there you go!
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

I know when I flied Air Canada, my handbag wasn't my "Carry On" bag. But then I saw that and got worried. I know that Iceland Air does include 2 checked and 2 carry on... but I guess I also have to consider moving within the airport with two kids in the wee hours and all that luggage. Hmmm... well, good news is, I have time to think this through! LOL! Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:31 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Some handbags/purses are so big they should be treated as checked luggage
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

This company will send your excess baggage from Canada to the UK, great if you are travelling back on your own with kids etc and too many bags. They are a good alternative if you aren't shipping furniture etc but have too much stuff to put on the plane yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9dhBFLJEwU
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, it doesn't just vary by airline, but also by airport: KLM allow a handbag & a carry-on on transatlantic flights, but Teesside airport (UK) only allows 1 piece of carry-on baggage.

S
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Does the airline have a contact page? You'll probably be fine with a purse and a carry-on bag, but you've probably got enough on your plate without worrying about this - if you can, I'd contact them and ask.

Funny language difference - in Oz a purse is just the small thing you keep your coins/credit cards in - I was wondering how you were going to keep your passports etc in such a small thing! I get it now