British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Airlines - Carry Ons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/airlines-carry-ons-835690/)

pondhopper2014 Jun 5th 2014 1:35 am

Airlines - Carry Ons

mbttuks, I was wondering something... the air transat says one "carry on" does that mean your purse is your carry on and nothing else or are they counting that as a purse and perfectly fine. One of the reasons why we liked Iceland Air was that even their economy price (which is cheaper than the ATS) offered two checked bags at no cost, plus a carry on and a purse. We're trying to do this move without shipping anything (hahahaha!) or at least minimizing it where possible. But a carry on AND a purse/handbag is absolutely a non-negotiable. I don't want to have to dig through a small suitcase to find things like passports and stuff!!! No thank you! LOL!
Blessings, and thanks in advance!

movingbacktotheuksoon Jun 5th 2014 2:19 am

Re: UK PASSPORT HAS BEEN DISPATCHED!!

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014 (Post 11288674)
mbttuks, I was wondering something... the air transat says one "carry on" does that mean your purse is your carry on and nothing else or are they counting that as a purse and perfectly fine. One of the reasons why we liked Iceland Air was that even their economy price (which is cheaper than the ATS) offered two checked bags at no cost, plus a carry on and a purse. We're trying to do this move without shipping anything (hahahaha!) or at least minimizing it where possible. But a carry on AND a purse/handbag is absolutely a non-negotiable. I don't want to have to dig through a small suitcase to find things like passports and stuff!!! No thank you! LOL!

No your purse is not counted at all as a carry on, you can take a separate carry on and your purse. I booked through Canadian Affair which are cheaper than Air Transat, but they fly Air Transat. Check them out, although I booked a few months back and it was cheaper than now. Didn't know about Iceland Air when I booked. You can pay extra for two bag allowance, we too are not shipping stuff over so taking two bags was important to me too. :)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 5th 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Airlines - Carry Ons

We were told with Virgin that the handbag counts as the carry on unless we stuffed it inside our main carry on. :eek: I think it depends on the airline.

movingbacktotheuksoon Jun 5th 2014 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 11289563)
We were told with Virgin that the handbag counts as the carry on unless we stuffed it inside our main carry on. :eek: I think it depends on the airline.

I guess it does depend on the airline you're right, but it's silly for them to include purses, every flight I've ever been on all the women are told to put their purses under the seat, right! :confused:, and in the overheads are always where the carry on cases go. :thumbsup:

lgabriel73 Jun 5th 2014 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 11289563)

they don't always enforce this. I always fly with Virgin and carry a large handbag and then also have a carry on bag and I have never had a problem.

movingbacktotheuksoon Jun 5th 2014 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by lgabriel73 (Post 11289594)
they don't always enforce this. I always fly with Virgin and carry a large handbag and then also have a carry on bag and I have never had a problem.

See, there you go! :thumbsup:

pondhopper2014 Jun 5th 2014 5:53 pm

I know when I flied Air Canada, my handbag wasn't my "Carry On" bag. But then I saw that and got worried. I know that Iceland Air does include 2 checked and 2 carry on... but I guess I also have to consider moving within the airport with two kids in the wee hours and all that luggage. Hmmm... well, good news is, I have time to think this through! LOL! Thanks for the info! :)

lf1 Jun 5th 2014 9:31 pm

Some handbags/purses are so big they should be treated as checked luggage:lol:

movingbacktotheuksoon Jun 6th 2014 12:13 am

This company will send your excess baggage from Canada to the UK, great if you are travelling back on your own with kids etc and too many bags. They are a good alternative if you aren't shipping furniture etc but have too much stuff to put on the plane yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9dhBFLJEwU

Shirtback Jun 6th 2014 9:13 am

In my experience, it doesn't just vary by airline, but also by airport: KLM allow a handbag & a carry-on on transatlantic flights, but Teesside airport (UK) only allows 1 piece of carry-on baggage.

S

spouse of scouse Jun 6th 2014 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014 (Post 11288674)

Does the airline have a contact page? You'll probably be fine with a purse and a carry-on bag, but you've probably got enough on your plate without worrying about this - if you can, I'd contact them and ask.

Funny language difference - in Oz a purse is just the small thing you keep your coins/credit cards in - I was wondering how you were going to keep your passports etc in such a small thing! I get it now :D