Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Wikiposts

Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Premier Inn KC also gets some good reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:03 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived all around that sort of area I would say check out the Holiday Inn on King Street in Hammersmith.

Hammersmith is very well placed for tube travel into central London as it has Piccadilly line and although not particularly glam in itself has lots of decent shops etc unlike Acton which has a rather sad selection and some rather dubious folk around. Dont touch Shepherds Bush.

Also, like someone else said Chiswick is lovely
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
Just wondering if anyone can give any opinions based on their experience. Is Acton/Shepherds Bush in London a nice area to be based in for 2nights while doing some sight-seeing in London? Looking at going to as many 'touristy places' as possible in 2 days, I've heard the public transport is excellent there so I suppose it doesn't really matter where we are based for the 2nights, but I do not know London at all, and don't want to stay in a bad area. Will be family of 4 (2 kids ages 6 & 9).
Thanks Audrey
Although Hammersmith & Shepherds Bush are o.k. I would not base my opinion about London on what you find there. West Acton and North Ealing are more leafy and pretty. Also Ealing Common is nice. Acton Central is much busier and uglier but still better than North Acton which many would have heard to be known as "the back passage of London" because of all the budget warehouses "Asbestos roof architecture" plus some post WWII factory buildings. Also, beware of the area called Harlesden which in my days used to be the murder capitol of England with lots of police involving incidents happening in the streets practically every day. Still I am sure you will find many decent people who have lived there and see no problem in doing so. In Harlesden, by the way there is one of my favorite Catholic Churches of "Our Lady of Willesden" where I once used to worship during my lunchtime breaks.
Acton and Hammersmith are mostly Afro-Caribbean and Polish, if you like their sort of food and shops.