Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Just wondering if anyone can give any opinions based on their experience. Is Acton/Shepherds Bush in London a nice area to be based in for 2nights while doing some sight-seeing in London? Looking at going to as many 'touristy places' as possible in 2 days, I've heard the public transport is excellent there so I suppose it doesn't really matter where we are based for the 2nights, but I do not know London at all, and don't want to stay in a bad area. Will be family of 4 (2 kids ages 6 & 9).
Thanks Audrey
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:19 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
Just wondering if anyone can give any opinions based on their experience. Is Acton/Shepherds Bush in London a nice area to be based in for 2nights while doing some sight-seeing in London? Looking at going to as many 'touristy places' as possible in 2 days, I've heard the public transport is excellent there so I suppose it doesn't really matter where we are based for the 2nights, but I do not know London at all, and don't want to stay in a bad area. Will be family of 4 (2 kids ages 6 & 9).
Thanks Audrey

I shall try be as diplomatic as possible - somewhere else will be better.

2 nights or not - I just wouldn't.

Look at Ealing, Kensington, Chiswick even Baker Street has some half decent B&Bs and small hotels
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by crystal23

Look at Ealing, Kensington, Chiswick even Baker Street has some half decent B&Bs and small hotels
Thank you! I wouldn't have known that, if you hadn't let me know
Will look around those places you've mentioned.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:38 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23

Agree with Crystal. I wouldnt!

I found the Premier Inn hotel chain very good when i was there. The room rates were reasonable too.
I found this one at Tower Bridge, which would be a fantastic place to stay as you are right next to the famous bridge and Tower of London. Also you can get the ferry upstream to all the other attractions.
If you went at the weekend rooms are £88

http://www.premierinn.com/pti/pTiibs...W&iscsell=true
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

I found the Premier Inn hotel chain very good when i was there. The room rates were reasonable too.
I found this one at Tower Bridge, which would be a fantastic place to stay as you are right next to the famous bridge and Tower of London. Also you can get the ferry upstream to all the other attractions.

Are you sorted now then Auds?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Fleaflyfloflum,
That looks ideal....just have to figure out how we'd get from Heathrow Airport to that hotel, without walking too much, as will have two kids and a few suitcases.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:55 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fleaflyfloflum,
That looks ideal....just have to figure out how we'd get from Heathrow Airport to that hotel, without walking too much, as will have two kids and a few suitcases.
By the time you have paid for yourself and 2 kids to get the tube train you might as well catch a cab. Especially after that long flight
Black cabs are very expensive, but if you choose a reputable private hire company they usually have set prices from Heathrow into London.
I used to own a private hire company. I will have a look and see if i can find a reputable one in London from memory (it was a long time ago..lol)
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:03 am
I don't give a damn

Here is a reputable one from memory showing their prices

http://www.skyexpresscars.net/prices.php
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

By the time you have paid for yourself and 2 kids to get the tube train you might as well catch a cab. Especially after that long flight
Black cabs are very expensive, but if you choose a reputable private hire company they usually have set prices from Heathrow into London.
I used to own a private hire company. I will have a look and see if i can find a reputable one in London from memory (it was a long time ago..lol)
I think using the tube might be a bit awkward when we first arrive with the suitcases, and we'll have kids hands to hold, someone predicted that a taxi would cost around 70pounds (seems expensive) and if you're stuck in a traffic jam, the meter still continues to run, so who know where it could end up!.
Aw thanks Fleaflyfloflum, you are very kind to offer to look and see if you can find a reputable private hire company.
What about using that National Express Coach - just can't seem to find out if it goes from Heathrow to London Tower Bridge. I have been informed that the Nat. Exp. Coach is waiting just outside the Terminal doors, so it would be handy.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:22 am
I don't give a damn

I think using the tube might be a bit awkward when we first arrive with the suitcases, and we'll have kids hands to hold, someone predicted that a taxi would cost around 70pounds (seems expensive) and if you're stuck in a traffic jam, the meter still continues to run, so who know where it could end up!.
Aw thanks Fleaflyfloflum, you are very kind to offer to look and see if you can find a reputable private hire company.
What about using that National Express Coach - just can't seem to find out if it goes from Heathrow to London Tower Bridge. I have been informed that the Nat. Exp. Coach is waiting just outside the Terminal doors, so it would be handy.
OK... i noted they have an airport prices page too

http://www.skyexpresscars.net/prices.php

to go from Heathrow to City Airport is £40 on their price list. Therefore, I would say to Tower Bridge it would be slightly less than this as it isnt as far east.
Drop them an email and i am sure they would give you a firm price.

I do know National Express go from Heathrow but have no idea where they would drop you in London.Best to weigh up the prices though, as a mincab could well be cheaper for 4 of you.

Good luck in whatever you choose
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great recommendation. Good location, and you can't really go wrong with the Premier Inns.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:34 am
Account Closed

It was me who said a black cab taxi would be 70 pounds - that''s into central London. Yes expensive but that's cabs for you

National Express goes from Heathrow Central Area which could well be 5-10 mins walk with kids/cases depending which terminal you arrive at (excluding T4 and T5 as they are out on a limb to T1,2, and 3. Just don''t want you thinking the coach will be right outside

I''m sure NE stop off at Tower Hill because we did a pick up and drop off there right by the Tower of London when I used NE in April but that won't be any good for you really. I can look at stop offs later if you want to find the nearest one to Tower Bridge but I honestly think you won't do much better than Flea''s suggestion of private cab pricewise and for your own sanity with a couple of small children.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

How much did you want to spend per night on a place to stay?

Whatever you pick, I strongly recommend http://www.tripadvisor.com for real reviews and pictures of different places.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

I would recommend the Premier Travel Inn at Kings Cross. It has recently been built (last couple of years), and is so central to everything including the main tube lines, main rail and Euston Road. I have stayed in the Tower Bridge Premier Inn and it was a bit tired - and a long walk to the tube!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:07 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mpg
I would recommend the Premier Travel Inn at Kings Cross. It has recently been built (last couple of years), and is so central to everything including the main tube lines, main rail and Euston Road. I have stayed in the Tower Bridge Premier Inn and it was a bit tired - and a long walk to the tube!
people are warning the poster with family off staying in acton/shepherds bush - do you think kings cross area is that much better ? okay closer to centre but still smacks of dodge city

last time in the smoke we got a good deal at Hilton on edgeware road opp tube station, can get heathrow express to paddington (expensive though)
(yeah i know there's hookers in paddington too, but not as in your face as kx)

used an old art deco hotel on the strand 'charing cross hotel' i think it was called, for location this was great just off covent garden - rooms were dated but cheap in comparison

have used venere.com before fro hotel booking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.