Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future
Default Re: Acton/Shepherds Bush = Nice Place?

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
people are warning the poster with family off staying in acton/shepherds bush - do you think kings cross area is that much better ? okay closer to centre but still smacks of dodge city

last time in the smoke we got a good deal at Hilton on edgeware road opp tube station, can get heathrow express to paddington (expensive though)
(yeah i know there's hookers in paddington too, but not as in your face as kx)

used an old art deco hotel on the strand 'charing cross hotel' i think it was called, for location this was great just off covent garden - rooms were dated but cheap in comparison

have used venere.com before fro hotel booking
Kings Cross 2008 is nothing like Kings Cross 1998! The area has seen millions pumped into it including St Pancras International (which now houses the Euro Star), Midland Hotel (alomost refurbished) and Kings X mainline itself. Excellent location.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:28 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mpg
Kings Cross 2008 is nothing like Kings Cross 1998! The area has seen millions pumped into it including St Pancras International (which now houses the Euro Star), Midland Hotel (alomost refurbished) and Kings X mainline itself. Excellent location.
i stand corrected then, what became of all the hookers,winos,druggies, down and outs etc that used to frequent the area esp nr kings cross station ?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

i stand corrected then, what became of all the hookers,winos,druggies, down and outs etc that used to frequent the area esp nr kings cross station ?
Hi Beaverquest. Unless you have visited Kings X over the past couple of years, you will still think of the area as it was back in the eighties and beyond. The area is absolutely buzzing now - day and night - for the good. I am not sure where all of those hookers, winos etc have gone (not in my social circle), but they are not in the Kings X Euston Road area anymore. A bit like Waterloo Bridge, when that area was upgraded all of the down and outs went elsewhere.

I feel very safe in Kings X, which is more than I can say for Tower Bridge area.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:59 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mpg
Hi Beaverquest. Unless you have visited Kings X over the past couple of years, you will still think of the area as it was back in the eighties and beyond. The area is absolutely buzzing now - day and night - for the good. I am not sure where all of those hookers, winos etc have gone (not in my social circle), but they are not in the Kings X Euston Road area anymore. A bit like Waterloo Bridge, when that area was upgraded all of the down and outs went elsewhere.

I feel very safe in Kings X, which is more than I can say for Tower Bridge area.
last visit to area was probably early 2000's, and yeah pretty much same as first visit back in eighties , was familiar with the bullring/cardboard city area at waterloo before they turned it into an imax (used to walk from station over hungerford bridge to covent garden etc) point being it seemed a lot more isolated there ie almost underground, surrounding streets seemed okay from memory - mid nineties

not really my personally safety i have an issue with, would be dragging young kids thru dodgy areas - all the ghouls come out a night...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

not really my personally safety i have an issue with, would be dragging young kids thru dodgy areas - all the ghouls come out a night...
Totally agree. Unless you meant girls and not ghouls!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:20 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AudsFrmSA
Just wondering if anyone can give any opinions based on their experience. Is Acton/Shepherds Bush in London a nice area to be based in for 2nights while doing some sight-seeing in London? Looking at going to as many 'touristy places' as possible in 2 days, I've heard the public transport is excellent there so I suppose it doesn't really matter where we are based for the 2nights, but I do not know London at all, and don't want to stay in a bad area. Will be family of 4 (2 kids ages 6 & 9).
Thanks Audrey
If you wanted cheaper places to stay you could go further out. I lived in Surbiton which is on the Thames in SW London. The train is non stop into Waterloo and takes about 15 mins. It would be much cheaper and its also a lovely area. There's a brand new hotel across from the station. http://www.hotelbosco.co.uk/ Dont know what its like but the bar was always busy. Once at Waterloo its a stroll over Waterloo Bridge into the Strand and 5 mins to Covent Garden etc...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent a lot of time at various London hotels jumping around quite a bit here and there (trying to avoid B&B type setups). For awhile my default was the Royal Garden Hotel in Hyde Park, but it's been about 10 years since their last renovation (that I know about) and it's getting a bit older. Could usually get a room for around £150.

My default hotel now is the Parkcity, which is also around £140. It's a quiet boutique kind of place just behind the Sainsbury's on the Cromwell road, near Gloucester Road and Earls Court tube. Relatively close to the 'sites' you might want to see and rooms were very clean (haven't been in 4 months).

The Hoxton, in Hoxton, gets a lot of interesting reviews for being a trendy chic boutique hotel. Kind a quirky /artsy location north of the 'The City'. Rates from £59-£199, with occasional £1 rooms.

http://www.hoxtonhotels.com/

I know a few folks who stay at the Holiday Inn Kennsington Forum. Rates around £110 a night or so. They say it's about a 3.5 star place (I generally find the 'stars' advertised in London to be about 1 star less than you'd find comparably in other places around the world).

Raidsson Edwardians generally redefine 'small' rooms in ways I didn't know possible. Some of the ones I've stayed in had beds that could only fit the room if turned just the right way in the room. The Radisson SAS at Portman Square was a default hotel for a few months, until they started charging me some silly rates for telephones and whatnot. I think they've raised their rates lately and it's not worth it.

Have you checked http://lastminute.com/? I used to get lucky with them and stay at places like the Carlton Towers in Knightsbridge for £120 (regularly about £300). Of course a hamburger was £29 from room service, so I decided to eat out quite a bit.

As for getting in to town, the Tube does seem awkward with suitcases and kids, but to be honest, tons of other people do it. If you end up staying somewhere like Earls Court or on the Picadilly line, than it's really quite a cheaper option than say Heathrow Express & cab / or bus etc. Plus you can just buy a travel card for the day from the airport and use it the rest of the day around town (assuming you'll be sightseeing day one).

Last edited by penguinsix; Oct 22nd 2008 at 10:08 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your input, but all these names are just making me more confused Yesterday, I was almost ready to make a final decision on the Premier Inn at Tower Bridge, then changed it, after reading the reviews, to the Premier Inn at Kings Cross, but now I'm totally confused again!!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:51 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your input, but all these names are just making me more confused Yesterday, I was almost ready to make a final decision on the Premier Inn at Tower Bridge, then changed it, after reading the reviews, to the Premier Inn at Kings Cross, but now I'm totally confused again!!
Go with Kings Cross. I havent stayed at the Tower Bridge one as i just picked it from the website as central London. Someone has given you a good review for it and has stayed there and I agree it is well situated.
Still go for the cab option as it will be a fair bit cheaper if going to Kings Cross.

I promise you that the Premier Inn is a well respected national chain that offers clean, modern, well kept accomodation at very reasonable prices.
There is TV, tea/coffee making facilities in all rooms. Toiletries and towels in the bathrooms. You wont be disappointed and the prices are far better than most other London rip off hotels
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Go with Kings Cross. Still go for the cab option as it will be a fair bit cheaper if going to Kings Cross.

I promise you that the Premier Inn is a well respected national chain that offers clean, modern, well kept accomodation at very reasonable prices.
There is TV, tea/coffee making facilities in all rooms. Toiletries and towels in the bathrooms. You wont be disappointed and the prices are far better than most other London rip off hotels
So from Heathrow (Terminal 1) to Kings Cross, you say take a Cab, do you mean a Taxi or the other option you mentioned yesterday, private owned cab companies?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:39 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

So from Heathrow (Terminal 1) to Kings Cross, you say take a Cab, do you mean a Taxi or the other option you mentioned yesterday, private owned cab companies?
Definitely do the private minicab, just make sure they are a respectable company who can give you a firm price online before booking. They will normal meet you at the arrivals hall with your name on a board.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:44 am
I don't give a damn

Not sure I should do this, but I know this company personally as i used to pass work onto them.

www.checkercars.com

Havent had contact for a few years, but you can get online quotes
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Not sure I should do this, but I know this company personally as i used to pass work onto them.

www.checkercars.com

Havent had contact for a few years, but you can get online quotes
Thanks Fleflyfloflum, you really have been a big help!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:09 am
I don't give a damn

Thanks Fleflyfloflum, you really have been a big help!
No worries... have a great trip!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:18 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just pmd you with some options. But go for the hotel. It's an ok location

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.