Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Aargh, it's really happening!

Aargh, it's really happening!

Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

BlubellsInTheForest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aargh, it's really happening!

Good luck with the move. I am following with interest as we may be moving back after 12 years in the US. We haven't been back so it may be a culture shock for us. We are from Ilford, Essex and have also lived in Brentwood and I taught in Basildon.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

An update on the National Insurance Number query I was having. I called this morning and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who after asking me my details (name last used in the UK if it has changed since, date of birth) "located" me in the system and will be sending me out my NIN once they receive the following form from me. They don't give you the number over the phone anymore but they will post it to you. Here is the link. It is helpful to remember your last two UK addresses that they would have for you on the system, I can't believe I remembered them after all these years! Here is the link.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca5403.pdf
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

BluebellsInTheForest, I'm sure it will be a culture for us too I imagine, living there is different from visiting, and although we have been over it's not quite the same is it. My boys tell me that growing up with a Brit Mum and all the terminology and TV viewing, etc they feel quite at home there as they know most of the lingo and stuff and are used to the sense of humour Would you move back to Ilford? I used to have a cousin who lived there, it's nice there. Do you not like it in the US?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Hello movingbacktotheuksoon,

I moved away from Ilford when I went to college in Brentwood and then lived in Leytonstone prior to moving to California.

I am a different person now and I crave rural England....The Lake District, Cornwall, Warwickshire. I never thought for one minute that I would ever want to live in the countryside. My children (9 and 15) have led quite a sheltered life here, especially since we moved to a little mountain town in Colorado. I am not sure they could cope with city life. I do really, really miss the food in East London. My husband is Sri Lankan and I haven't had a decent curry outside of the home in 12 years!

What are your biggest worries about returning home? I think I have come to the conclusion that if I get my latest extension to stay for another 2 years then we will probably stay here. So I will only go back if we get thrown out! I am told that if they turn down our application, we have a max of 30 days to get out. All very tricky when we have a business and a house to dispense of.

I would love to know how you get on. Please keep us updated with your progress.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:56 am
Just Joined

I forgot to say that yes, I love it in my small town in the US but I don't like....guns, bad food, visa restrictions and the US healthcare. I have lovely friends here and a wonderful community surrounding and supporting my family and our little Art School. That's why we have battled against the odds to stay. What is it that you don't like about the US?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:09 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by movingbacktotheuksoon
rObriely, I lived in North London and in the city. Where are you from?
I am also a teacher, I teach the early years. Have you sent your qualifications to the UK yet, they will let you know what your equivalent is in the UK in terms of being able to teach. I can give you the link if you need it. So sorry to hear about you husband, that must have been very difficult for you and your Son. I'm also a single Mum, we seem to have a lot in common. My boys are excited to move, they really love it there. Sounds like your Son is used to it quite a bit, having visited often. Do you have a lot of family and friends there?
I was born in Forest Gate East London, but moved all over, Bermondsey, Thamesmead, Stratford, Bethnal Green, Kidbrooke and ended up in Blackheath. I still have lots of family there in East London, Essex, Bermondsey, cousins, sisters, brothers, can't wait to get back and be part of their lives again. You miss so much being in another country as you know. I did get my qualification in England so it's still good-just got to hope someone will still hire me at my age ( a very young 52 ;-) As far as the bank account I've been looking into that too. It seems the only way to do it is to open an international off-shore account in one of the channel Islands and then when you get a permanent address in England you can transfer it. You can get the applications on line-I'll post the link for you.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:12 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BlubellsInTheForest
Hello movingbacktotheuksoon,

I moved away from Ilford when I went to college in Brentwood and then lived in Leytonstone prior to moving to California.

I am a different person now and I crave rural England....The Lake District, Cornwall, Warwickshire. I never thought for one minute that I would ever want to live in the countryside. My children (9 and 15) have led quite a sheltered life here, especially since we moved to a little mountain town in Colorado. I am not sure they could cope with city life. I do really, really miss the food in East London. My husband is Sri Lankan and I haven't had a decent curry outside of the home in 12 years!

What are your biggest worries about returning home? I think I have come to the conclusion that if I get my latest extension to stay for another 2 years then we will probably stay here. So I will only go back if we get thrown out! I am told that if they turn down our application, we have a max of 30 days to get out. All very tricky when we have a business and a house to dispense of.

I would love to know how you get on. Please keep us updated with your progress.
Oh-I miss the curry too-I grew up in East London and my dad is Indian :-) I am hoping that when I move home in August/September I will be able to find a reasonably priced rental in Brentwood. It looks lovely there and close enough to East London that I'll be close to my family.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:15 pm
Banned

movingbacktotheuksoon-The web address for banking is nationwideinternational.com, although other known banks offer the same service-Do your boys already have British Passports or will you be getting them before you go?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by r0briley
Oh-I miss the curry too-I grew up in East London and my dad is Indian :-) I am hoping that when I move home in August/September I will be able to find a reasonably priced rental in Brentwood. It looks lovely there and close enough to East London that I'll be close to my family.
My second choice is Basildon-I see you spent time there too-One of my concerns (like you) is that it would be really difficult for my son (who's 12) to adjust to city life-he has grown up in a very rural town in New England but I though either Basildon or Brentwood would be a little kinder for him.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by r0briley
movingbacktotheuksoon-The web address for banking is nationwideinternational.com, although other known banks offer the same service-Do your boys already have British Passports or will you be getting them before you go?
Ignore that last post about passports, I think we already had that conversation-I sometimes get a bit confused on this site as to who I'm talking/replying to :-(