Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Lincolnshire - tell me more!

Lincolnshire - tell me more!

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lincolnshire - tell me more!

Would love to hear from those of you who know Lincolnshire area. I'm looking around Grantham area (drawing a very wide circle).

I was drawn to Grantham area because of lots of good schools both primary and HS, high speed train to London and most importantly lower house prices than lots of the UK. Wouldn't want to be in the town of Grantham itself but maybe a village around there. Love the countryside but worried it might be just too, too rural.

Does anyone have favorite villages around there, areas to avoid, things to be aware of?

It seems like Nottingham would be a good city to be near to balance out the rural overload and for shops, theater, University, entertainment, etc. anyone here have opinions on Nottingham?

I have done a search on BE and found some old threads about Lincolnshire that were very helpful but would love to hear more.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:12 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lincolnshire - tell me more!

Originally Posted by NiHao
Would love to hear from those of you who know Lincolnshire area. I'm looking around Grantham area (drawing a very wide circle).

I was drawn to Grantham area because of lots of good schools both primary and HS, high speed train to London and most importantly lower house prices than lots of the UK. Wouldn't want to be in the town of Grantham itself but maybe a village around there. Love the countryside but worried it might be just too, too rural.

Does anyone have favorite villages around there, areas to avoid, things to be aware of?

It seems like Nottingham would be a good city to be near to balance out the rural overload and for shops, theater, University, entertainment, etc. anyone here have opinions on Nottingham?

I have done a search on BE and found some old threads about Lincolnshire that were very helpful but would love to hear more.
I've been to Lincolnshire a fair bit. It's very rural and quiet as you go Eastwards. Lovely countryside, if a bit flat in the south, but the Wolds are really pretty. Unfortunately, it's getting a reputation for what many people consider extreme politics now.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nihao,

We moved here to Cebu last year after living for 45 years in Grantham.
It's not the best, or worst place to be but there's nice country, seaside an hour away, London 65 minutes - at a cost - and good value housing.
Many people commute to London, nottingham, peterborough ,etc so quite central.
Send me PM with your email and i'll give you whatever info I can.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Unfortunately, it's getting a reputation for what many people consider extreme politics now.
I hadn't heard that before, extreme as in to the right or to the left?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

quiltman and nun,

thank you both for your helpful replies
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
I hadn't heard that before, extreme as in to the right or to the left?
Well there's a relevant article in today's Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...hire-elections
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Nun, interesting reading especially as we are a multi racial family.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Several months ago, Boston was the setting for Question Time. A popular topic, as you'd imagine, was immigration. Apparently, Boston has been influenced by immigration more than most places in the UK. There were several comments from the audience about "them" and how "they" were changing the face of the city and taking "our" jobs.

There were also much more tempered audience comments providing a balance, but it was clear (from this audience, anyway) that immigration and outsiders were on a lot of people's minds. Whether that translates into how you are treated if you have a different face or a different accent, I don't know.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

I grow up in Grantham, loved it and have many friends who have returned there with their young families.
Great area for grammar schools. Easy access on a1/rail. Nottingham not too far away.
We lived in a lovely village called Fulbeck North of Grantham. Sited on the Lincolnshire edge (it's a hill amongst the flat!if you have kids start with villages in the grammar school catchment areas, it's hard to get in other wise.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Several months ago, Boston was the setting for Question Time. A popular topic, as you'd imagine, was immigration. Apparently, Boston has been influenced by immigration more than most places in the UK. There were several comments from the audience about "them" and how "they" were changing the face of the city and taking "our" jobs.

There were also much more tempered audience comments providing a balance, but it was clear (from this audience, anyway) that immigration and outsiders were on a lot of people's minds. Whether that translates into how you are treated if you have a different face or a different accent, I don't know.
Areas round Boston have always had lot's of migrant workers, brought from Eastern Europe to work for gangmasters picking and harvesting vegetables. Many of the gangmasters, were, till it was cleaned up a number of years ago, nothing more than slave masters, and because of the low pay and harsh living conditions there were a fair number of crimes committed, also many of them did make their own spirits, which were very potent and dangerous. This led, inevitably, to some confrontations and problmes.

Grantham is further North, and is in a nice area, I would also suggest the villages just outside, and, as has been said, just be careful that you get into one of the villages within the grammar school cachement areas. Grantham is one of the few places in The UK that has retained Grammer schools.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Unfortunately, it's getting a reputation for what many people consider extreme politics now.
I find that statement quite ridiculous. UKIP are now a respected and major political party, in fact the only party that want to take the UK out of the EU (as a large number of people now seem to want). They also belief in self-determination, that is hardly extreme. Finally, they have adopted a mix of traditional Tory and Labour policies. Certainly they have my vote from now on.

That is a classic Guardian left-learning article - and they say the Daily Mail is bad!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by davros1984
I find that statement quite ridiculous.
I said that many people consider the politics in Lincolnshire to be extreme.......obviously, not everyone considers it to be extreme.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
I find that statement quite ridiculous. UKIP are now a respected and major political party, in fact the only party that want to take the UK out of the EU (as a large number of people now seem to want). They also belief in self-determination, that is hardly extreme. Finally, they have adopted a mix of traditional Tory and Labour policies. Certainly they have my vote from now on.

That is a classic Guardian left-learning article - and they say the Daily Mail is bad!
Respected by whom?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Respected by whom?
I know it's difficult to respect almost any politician, but I imagine that the people of Lincolnshire have some level of respect for the politicians they elect. There are plenty of politicians I do not respect.....but that does not stop other people from respecting them.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:42 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by nun
I know it's difficult to respect almost any politician, but I imagine that the people of Lincolnshire have some level of respect for the politicians they elect. There are plenty of politicians I do not respect.....but that does not stop other people from respecting them.
I like Nigel Farage in spite of his beer and fags image - but UKIP are still struggling to gain respect among the masses because they keep having trouble with loonies coming out of the woodwork. They haven't moved much beyond the "protest vote" status IMO.

I also think there's a difference betwen voting for the local MP candidate and voting for the party they belong to. I am sure that at the local level (in, say, Lincolnshire) there may be some perfectly respectable local politicians but at the national level I would say UKIP still struggle to command respect (though Farage is having a good go at removing the looney contingent).

And he almost got lynched when he visited Edinburgh (literally - the police had to rescue him).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.