Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Aargh, it's really happening!

Aargh, it's really happening!

Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold
Default Aargh, it's really happening!

After wanting to move back for years it could be potentially happening in just 16 weeks from now.
The house isn't even listed on MLS yet but the sign has gone up, we had one viewing today and have another two lined up for tomorrow.
My husband told his manager today - another big step.
We don't have jobs, a house or schools or even know where we want to go to in UK but the ball has now started rolling and it feels scary!
Not sure what to do next! All these years of dreaming and now it is happening.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aargh, it's really happening!

thats great for you, but you really are going to have to start some solid planning there is so much to do. Start making your list and your schedules to make it easier. I'm about 11 weeks away from my move and have done a lot so far but there is so much more I have to do. I know that time is going to fly by and I can't leave it all until the last minute. Good luck!!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

So exciting! Good luck to you. I agree with lgabriel73... get all your lists done and work from there. That time will pass VERY fast!! Plan your work and work your plan.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
So exciting! Good luck to you. I agree with lgabriel73... get all your lists done and work from there. That time will pass VERY fast!! Plan your work and work your plan.
haha, I like it!
I have been sorting and chucking books, toys, clothes over the last 6 months and have it very pared down in terms of 'stuff' to take back.

We have another 3 visits on the house tomorrow and an Open House Sunday. I guess next step is to call shippers for quotes.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

you definitely need to get moving on the shippers. You can book them using a tentative date so if you dont know your move date yet then thats not a problem. dont want to leave it too long especially since you'll be moving over the busy summer months, may delay your shipment a bit.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well the house sold on Saturday so now we have a definite date to leave which helps with flights and shipping companies. Onwards........!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Congratulations!! Its going to get very hectic for you now and there are times that you will wonder if its the right thing to do. But keep focused on all the reasons you want to move back and that will keep you going.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

Your house sold quickly, that's incredible! Good job! Best of luck with all the rest!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:42 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Just popping on to say good luck with the move. Hope you settle into UK life quickly and easily.

Try to keep calm even though you will feel
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:43 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Exciting and scary-I'm moving back around September with my 12 year old son. I have been a hoarder during my 15 years here in New England and have to leave everything behind. I've been sorting like crazy and am desperately waiting for the weather to co-operate so I can start having tag-sales-probably every weekend from now till we move. I also am not sure where we'll be going but it's fun doing an on-line version of house-hunters and imagining all the new-life possibilities :-)
Old Mar 21st 2014, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

Hiya,
I know just how you feel very well indeed!! I booked my flights just a couple of weeks ago, also after wanting to move back for years, I finally just went and booked. Yes, it's scary, but a good scary and I'm not looking back now. We only have one life so I say live it how you really feel in your heart. I know I should be back in the UK.

I'm in the process of getting British passports for us all, mine expired some years ago (the old blue one!) and my boys, 19 and 17 hopefully won't have difficulty in getting one, they are british by descent as I was born in the UK before 1983, all my family parents, grandparents etc were all born in London. We are moving back from Canada. We still have about 3 months so hopefully all will get sorted before we move back. We have Canadian citizenship and passports too.

Does anyone know what you say upon returning at customs, I take it we should leave Canada on our British passports and enter the UK on the British one too. As Birtish citizens we are allowed back I take it? do we need to do anything beforehand in terms of customs, entry back etc?

Thanks everyone, any advice would be great, I'd hate to forget important information.

Cheers
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingbacktotheuksoon
Hiya,
I know just how you feel very well indeed!! I booked my flights just a couple of weeks ago, also after wanting to move back for years, I finally just went and booked. Yes, it's scary, but a good scary and I'm not looking back now. We only have one life so I say live it how you really feel in your heart. I know I should be back in the UK.

I'm in the process of getting British passports for us all, mine expired some years ago (the old blue one!) and my boys, 19 and 17 hopefully won't have difficulty in getting one, they are british by descent as I was born in the UK before 1983, all my family parents, grandparents etc were all born in London. We are moving back from Canada. We still have about 3 months so hopefully all will get sorted before we move back. We have Canadian citizenship and passports too.

Does anyone know what you say upon returning at customs, I take it we should leave Canada on our British passports and enter the UK on the British one too. As Birtish citizens we are allowed back I take it? do we need to do anything beforehand in terms of customs, entry back etc?

Thanks everyone, any advice would be great, I'd hate to forget important information.

Cheers
If you are all British citizens and all have passports, you don't need to say anything special at immigration/border control.

Did you mean "immigration/passport control", or did you really mean to say "customs"? If you mean the latter, it depends on how much stuff you are bringing back and whether any expensive items were purchased overseas within the past (I think) 6 months.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck!

Dont forget to take care of all those financial details regarding pension transfers etc etc too.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I did mean immigration/passport control, forgot the terminology didn't I, oops. With regards to customs I think I'm ok with that info. The reason I was asking about immigration/passport control was that if you've been living out of the country for many years and your kids were born out of the country, (but are british by decent through myself) won't they want to know what we are doing and why we are back, even if we all have British passports? Read something on here a while back that someone had trouble coming home? It's a little scary to think of. Advice please and thank you. I thought that as a British Citizens we all have right of abode etc.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you have a unexpired UK passport then you have the right to come back as you please they probably wont even know that you have been away a long time or your kids were born elsewhere. They will just scan your passport take your picture and let you through. All they care about is that you have the right documentation to enter the UK which you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.