Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

5 weeks?!?!? What the what?!?!?

5 weeks?!?!? What the what?!?!?

Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 weeks?!?!? What the what?!?!?

Hi All,

Hope you're all doing fantastically well.

So as some of you may remember I was planning on moving back to the UK from LA next May (on the QM2)

Then we pushed it to "sometime this year but not really sure when, I guess it all depends on the sale of husband's business" and we'll just have to fly the pups (I have 4!)

Well today I stupidly called Cunard on the off chance they would have enough kennels for 4 dogs on a sailing this year (knowing full well I'd be laughed at) only to be told that yes, they do indeed but I would have to sail August 3rd!!!!!!!!!

My husband is NOT impressed and thinks that we're rushing (he moves like a snail) and that we'll never be able to sell his business (it's almost sold) sell 3 cars, a household full of stuff AND put the house on the market (we can sell it from overseas) in 5 weeks.

I say we can. Do you guys think it's possible?!?!? I'm not working right now so can devote my entire 5 weeks to doing this.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 weeks?!?!? What the what?!?!?

Originally Posted by britwhore
Hi All,

So as some of you may remember I was planning on moving back to the UK from LA next May (on the QM2)

Then we pushed it to "sometime this year but not really sure when, I guess it all depends on the sale of husband's business" and we'll just have to fly the pups (I have 4!)

Well today I stupidly called Cunard on the off chance they would have enough kennels for 4 dogs on a sailing this year (knowing full well I'd be laughed at) only to be told that yes, they do indeed but I would have to sail August 3rd!!!!!!!!!

My husband is NOT impressed and thinks that we're rushing (he moves like a snail) and that we'll never be able to sell his business (it's almost sold) sell 3 cars, a household full of stuff AND put the house on the market (we can sell it from overseas) in 5 weeks.

I say we can. Do you guys think it's possible?!?!? I'm not working right now so can devote my entire 5 weeks to doing this.
Yes, it's possible.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way you think dunroving!!!! cheers for that!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: 5 weeks?!?!? What the what?!?!?

Hi All,

Yes - it's definitely possible!

There are two other families on this board returning to live in the UK and going over on the 3rd August on the QM2!

See here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760400

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 25th 2012 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hurrah!!!!! I'm loving the optimistic outlook from you guys!!!!

There are? Cool. We might have to have a mini britishexpats.com get together!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 5 weeks?!?!? What the what?!?!?

Hurrah!!!!! I'm loving the optimistic outlook from you guys!!!!

There are? Cool. We might have to have a mini britishexpats.com get together!!!!

I'm going to cross-post your thread so that 'Pombat' and 'If1' will spot that you're on the same crossing

(One of the families is also currently resident in California AFAIK).
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:19 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Britwhore - get packing!!! Wow! wouldn't that be something, 3 BE's on the same journey home. As Englishmum has said, me and my OH and the Pombat family are sailing on 3 Aug.

Have you already started on clearing your house out? That, for me, was one of the most exhausting things to do in this process. Are you taking your household goods back with you or getting rid of them where you are? Sometimes, when you have a tight deadline, you get more things done. I know that is how it is for me. If I don't have deadline, then I tend to procastinate, so things get left to the last minute.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

If1 thanks!! Yes I work MUCH better to a deadline otherwise I sit around and watch TV until the last minute!!

We have 3 cars to sell and most household things. Not sure if we're taking back furniture. I would miss my bed as it's a sleep number and you can't get those in the UK (it would need an adapter) My couch is probably too big for an English house and the rest is nothing special.

It's all happening so fast but maybe that's a good thing. I don't have time to sit and dwell!!!

Now I have to start on the puppy paperwork. Lord help me!!!!

It's very cool there will be 3 BE families traveling home together!!!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:33 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Britwhore

I just re-read your original post and see that you are selling you things. We have arranged with a consignment store to take some of our pieces if we can't sell them privately. OH has been using Kijji (like Craigslist) to sell some things. One fellow came over to look at our dining room table and ended up buying a whole bunch of things. As he was about to leave, he asked if we had a lawnmower, so we took him into the garage and he decided to buy OH's car. Another couple came over to look at our patio furniture and they ended up buying a few more things.

Between friends, private sales we have a home for just about everything and I have earmarked some furniture for donation to the local drop in centre. I just need to book an appt for them to pick it up. I have made several runs to one of the local charity shops to donate clothes and small household items. All our towels along with office supplies will be going to the local Humane Society. I am rambling a bit here, but thought my experience may give you some ideas on where to dispose/sell your things.

If you do go on the ship, I'd love to visit your dogs, if that is allowed. Oh, and it would be nice to meet you too.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yes I believe you can visit the dogs even if they're not yours! cheeky monkey!!!!!!!!!

As far as selling stuff I will definitely be going the craigslist route as well as trying to organize a garage sale for the little things. everything else we'll just donate.

Thanks for the advice. All is welcome......I need it!!!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:05 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yes I believe you can visit the dogs even if they're not yours! cheeky monkey!!!!!!!!!

As far as selling stuff I will definitely be going the craigslist route as well as trying to organize a garage sale for the little things. everything else we'll just donate.

Thanks for the advice. All is welcome......I need it!!!
We had a garage sale too. I wasn't going to, but my friend convinced me it would be a good idea. She was right, but it is a lot of work. We sold most things. The things that didn't sell I took to the local charity shop and somethings I just put on the driveway with a "FREE" sign. It all disappeared. I still have my Christmas tree and decorations and as soon as we get another dry day, I'll put them out for free. I guess it is the wrong time of year to be selling a Christmas tree.

Where are you heading back to? We are going to the Scottish Borders. My OH is English, so if Alex Salmond gets his way and Scotland separates, I can just walk down to border, less than a mile from our place, and pop OH over the "wall"
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's possible. We moved from Canada to Australia in just over 4 weeks, including arranging shippers, selling everything we weren't taking, selling cars and having all our leaving parties.

Good luck back home.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

we;re heading back to London although we might have to head to canterbury first and then onto London a week later. We'll see. Can't wait to visit Scotland. I think Edinburgh will be our first official trip once we're settled!!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Dorothy!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:18 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Go for it britwhore!!!!!! Go go go !! You can do it!! I'm so excited to see so many families heading back this year- hopefully I'll be joining you all three weeks later! So excited!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.