Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:21 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

Originally Posted by weescot
I know an Embassy doctor for significant Western country. Their policy is to medically evacuate any unmarried female staff that fall pregnant, as even female diplomats will be thrown in jail as the UAE law stands on this "charge".
I agree,
HOWEVER, i personally know at least 5 women here who have married after falling pregnant and have had no issues.
We even know for a fact of someone giving birth 2 days AFTER getting married and still there were no problems.

If i stop posting within the next few weeks you will know that i was not so lucky.....

Either way, if your in one of the private hospitals, its less of a problem than the others. The worst thing we have ever heard is that they are awkward in issuing the birth certificate...nothing more.

I know that its common for unmarried maids etc going to jail, but does someone actually KNOW a woman who has gone to jail for this rather than hearing from a "friend of a friend"
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you do get married there seems to be no problem with things now. There used to be but that depended on the hospital as well. Problems arise say if you fall pregnant then have problems, eg ectopic and you need medical care, if you're single you will be asked questions.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I agree,
HOWEVER, i personally know at least 5 women here who have married after falling pregnant and have had no issues.
We even know for a fact of someone giving birth 2 days AFTER getting married and still there were no problems.

If i stop posting within the next few weeks you will know that i was not so lucky.....

Either way, if your in one of the private hospitals, its less of a problem than the others. The worst thing we have ever heard is that they are awkward in issuing the birth certificate...nothing more.

I know that its common for unmarried maids etc going to jail, but does someone actually KNOW a woman who has gone to jail for this rather than hearing from a "friend of a friend"
JD I am almost sure that you will not have an issue, if you do have you have enough friends to help you out.

I have never known a friedn go to jail for being pregnant - have heard stories and seen the women in the jail, have also seen the abandend babies in the hospitals.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:38 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=banter64;7334338]JD I am almost sure that you will not have an issue, if you do have you have enough friends to help you out.

[QUOTE]

Got a few Locals up my sleeve should the need arise
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;7334353][QUOTE=banter64;7334338]JD I am almost sure that you will not have an issue, if you do have you have enough friends to help you out.

Got a few Locals up my sleeve should the need arise
Would you just fire them out like an automatic RPG of some sort whilst fleeing across the border?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=AnotherWorld;7334666][QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;7334353]
Originally Posted by banter64
JD I am almost sure that you will not have an issue, if you do have you have enough friends to help you out.

Would you just fire them out like an automatic RPG of some sort whilst fleeing across the border?
Across the border to liberal free-wheeling Saudi that is?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:48 pm
Up in the air

[QUOTE=bimcnorth;7334841][QUOTE=AnotherWorld;7334666]
Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Across the border to liberal free-wheeling Saudi that is?
Well i do have a valid Saudi visa, so it's an option...

Failing that it will be across the sand dunes to Yemen
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:38 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

...and seen the women in the jail, have also seen the abandend babies in the hospitals.
I think this shows just how utterly screwed up this country is at it's core...where a mother would be so scared she would abandon her baby because the government would punish her for copulating without a piece of paper that says she's married to someone.

I'd like to see them sustain this disgusting and unnatural practice after the oil runs out and people start leaving because they want little things like social freedom - people tend to notice things like that when the bread and circuses stop.

N.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I think this shows just how utterly screwed up this country is at it's core...where a mother would be so scared she would abandon her baby because the government would punish her for copulating without a piece of paper that says she's married to someone.

I'd like to see them sustain this disgusting and unnatural practice after the oil runs out and people start leaving because they want little things like social freedom - people tend to notice things like that when the bread and circuses stop.

N.

Have you ever seen or heard about any immigrant community in say the UK embracing a social freedoom they didn´t enjoyed at home?
When two cultures clash as in the case of immigration the rules gets set in stone and woe to anyone trying to break out of the mould.
It´s like how Pakistani girls in the UK complain that they often enjoy more freedom in Pakistan because they don´t have their families spying on them all the time.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
hey ! understand where you are coming from but you also have to understand and appreciate that these are the rules and they are rules that have been in place for a long time and when you move to a new place you have to abide by those rules, I am not saying that the views are not ancient BUT this is just how it is and those who wish to take the risk they must understand that they also run the risk of being caught.

I do however think that they need to adress the issue of those who fall pregnant but then get married - this in my eyes is the correct thing to do and we all make mistakes
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;7334867][QUOTE=bimcnorth;7334841]
Originally Posted by AnotherWorld

Well i do have a valid Saudi visa, so it's an option...

Failing that it will be across the sand dunes to Yemen

Oman is far easier x
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

hey ! understand where you are coming from but you also have to understand and appreciate that these are the rules and they are rules that have been in place for a long time and when you move to a new place you have to abide by those rules, I am not saying that the views are not ancient BUT this is just how it is and those who wish to take the risk they must understand that they also run the risk of being caught.

I do however think that they need to adress the issue of those who fall pregnant but then get married - this in my eyes is the correct thing to do and we all make mistakes
I dont think his point has anything to do with "respect the rules of the country you come to". We all already understand your point...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
I dont think his point has anything to do with "respect the rules of the country you come to". We all already understand your point...
Didnt mean for it to come across in that way to be honest that will teach me to try and do 3 things at once !!!!

I was agreeing with what he was saying in some respect he makes a really valid point this country is screwed, morally ethiclly and in so many other ways, most of the children that are abandonded are those of UAE national men who get the maid or the lady of the night pregnant and then dont want anything to do with it yet if this happend in the UK and I am only saying UK as I know this happens the CSA would stand in (if you are lucky) and ensure that the father provided for the child, the UAE has no such facility or organisation due to the rules
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:06 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

guys... we have to remember that less than 100 years ago, having a baby in Europe outside wedlock had such a social stigma attached to it that babies were abandoned or passed off as little sisters/brothers of the mother.

OK, the unmarried mother didn't face being thrown into prison, but the social implications of her action were often so intense that the effect was the same.

I'd almost venture that the West has only come to terms with single-motherhood in the last, what, 30 years... and even then, there are still those that frown upon it.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:07 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where you're coming from too and agree that this is how it is and we can accept it and live here or not accept and leave.

My point was it's not a good thing and isn't going to last...

N.