Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

Im curious. I've heard all the stories. Immediate imprisonment for uncertain amount of time. Give birth in jail. Baby taken from mother. One story: Baby sent to one of the sheikh's foster homes and if female, raised to eventually become his housemaid/servant/whatever including sexual favours (yes! These are the crazy stories people here have told me!).

So what is the real truth and punishment for mother, father and child?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all
Default Re: What really happens when unmarried woman gets pregnant in UAE?

Like with most things here I guess it depends who you are and who finds out.

Someone I actually know had a housemaid who became pregnant and only told her as she was about to deliver on the bathroom floor. The housemaid was taken to hospital where she was shackled to the bed and her baby was removed from her immediately after the birth. She is currently in prison. The husband (of the woman I know) was arrested and held in custody until it was proved that he was not the father.

The National has an article in it today which states many of the woman serving prison sentences are there because they had sex outside marriage.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

THAT is a disturbing story. Just when the UAE comments on the UN's human rights report released about it.....

Any idea what her sentence was and how long ago she delivered?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

An expat or local woman found pregnant and unmarried may be arrested or repatriated unless she marries the man who fathered the baby. Or she could eventually face a prison term and should the baby be born during that time, it's to be sent to a relative but if no such relative is available the baby is kept in another area of the prison.
If you are pregnant and attend a hospital you have to provide your marriage certificate.

The Shariah laws in general are stricter for Muslims as the judges assume that they ought to know the score..
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:45 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same position, the wife was 4 months pregnant when we got married out here in Dubai.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
We are in the same position, the wife was 4 months pregnant when we got married out here in Dubai.
You had the kid and noone said anything about conception dates etc? Or have you not even been asked for marriage certs etc so far?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

and nothing was said.... you were lucky as sometimes and only sometimes they will work out in the hospitals etc when you got married/pregnant etc.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:56 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

The baby has not been born yet.
He is due any day now.
What will happen is that the hospital will not issue the birth certificate until they see our wedding certificate.

I guess i will not know what happens until then
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

He is due any day now.
What will happen is that the hospital will not issue the birth certificate until they see our wedding certificate.

...she'll be right Can't you ask trusted doctor?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

He is due any day now.

I thought you already got married and everything is taken care of...Unless it was during Halloween...
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Usually after a certain period her tummy begins to protrude?!!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

He is due any day now.

I hope all goes well for you and Kristy.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

My friend from our Dubai office has to get transferred back to the UK. She went to the doc's where they did ask for her marriage certificate, she told them she would provide soon. This was only 2 months ago.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:59 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camel jockey
My friend from our Dubai office has to get transferred back to the UK. She went to the doc's where they did ask for her marriage certificate, she told them she would provide soon. This was only 2 months ago.
I haven't yet been asked for a marriage certificate for any of my antenatal visits, but I have been with Mr Kitty and our daughter on some of them. We're not planning on giving birth over here though.

I wonder how much just wearing a wedding ring reassures them?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I know an Embassy doctor for significant Western country. Their policy is to medically evacuate any unmarried female staff that fall pregnant, as even female diplomats will be thrown in jail as the UAE law stands on this "charge".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.