British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Sex Discrimination (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/sex-discrimination-571096/)

nottmbantam Nov 5th 2008 6:17 am

Re: Sex Discrimination

Well Lionheart, you know from experience from your time in Saudi - women being allowed to drive - albeit with a letter of no objection - is a huge step forward from the Magic Kingdom!

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6941957)
If you are a woman on her own visa you don't need to get your husband's permission to do anything. Just your employers.

All bloody stupid & chauvinistic.

*burns bra*

-

I had to get an NOC from my company to learn to drive over here as well.

Not that I have learnt yet.

Inselaffen Nov 5th 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6941957)
If you are a woman on her own visa you don't need to get your husband's permission to do anything. Just your employers.

All bloody stupid & chauvinistic.

*burns bra*

-

so that was the cause of the big smoke plume drifting all the way to Singapore! :eek:

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6941977)
so that was the cause of the big smoke plume drifting all the way to Singapore! :eek:

hey kidda, how's life treating you over there?

Meow Nov 5th 2008 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6941974)
I had to get an NOC from my company to learn to drive over here as well.

Not that I have learnt yet.

Everyone does. Your employer owns you.

-

Inselaffen Nov 5th 2008 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6941985)
hey kidda, how's life treating you over there?

lots of rain!

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6942010)
lots of rain!

I'd like that, for a couple of days.

Inselaffen Nov 5th 2008 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6942013)
I'd like that, for a couple of days.

still havnt got bored with it yet. its quite nice to watch the thunderstorms from our 14th floor office. and the rain has usually stopped by the time I leave work

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6942034)
still havnt got bored with it yet. its quite nice to watch the thunderstorms from our 14th floor office. and the rain has usually stopped by the time I leave work

we all miss your shorts mate.

Inselaffen Nov 5th 2008 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6942046)
we all miss your shorts mate.

now I know you are telling porkies!

IndieG Nov 5th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6938875)
Is it just me or does anybody else feel aggrieved that a woman in the UAE requires a Letter of No Objection from her husband in order to take driving lessons. Another example of the country still belonging in the Middle Ages whilst striving to create the impression of being modern.

I signed my own no objection letters:rofl:

lobby lou Nov 5th 2008 12:47 pm

we had a sharia wedding an even though i was divorced and had all the paper work stamped ...i still had to have a letter signed and stamped by my father giving his permission to marry at 43 lol......:wub:

Norm_uk Nov 5th 2008 5:33 pm

Is it just me or does anybody else feel aggrieved that a woman in the UAE requires a Letter of No Objection from her husband in order to take driving lessons. Another example of the country still belonging in the Middle Ages whilst striving to create the impression of being modern.

Come on wake up...a woman's testimony is only worth half of a man's in a sharia court. Feel as aggrieved as you like - this IS the middle ages with skyscrapers and tarmac on the roads.

If you want freedom and equality this is not the place to be. This is all money and superficiality...enjoy it for what it is - it's not going to change anytime soon.

N.

andrewpops Nov 6th 2008 7:53 pm

Or try this for size, I had to consent for the use of pain relief drugs on my wife during the birth of our children at Corniche hospital. Literally the mid wife asking, "is it okay to give this" to me during labour.

mrskpd Nov 7th 2008 11:55 am

maybe the tables are starting to turn......we are in what is probably the very unusual situation of me sponsoring my husband on my visa....which means I have to provide him with the NOC to get job, licence, etc etc....as I have full visa have not yet encountered a situation where my husband (my dependant) has to approve anything for me