Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Old Mar 14th 2021, 4:02 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
You made the same comment to me about women being covered up in Saudi, there's no 'perve' factor in women going around in normal dress for most people. That seems your own perspective.

As the the French/Belgians once explained about face coverings etc. in their countries, we are coming from a perspective similar to them of "it's about social communication, the right to interact with someone by looking them in the face and about not disappearing under a piece of clothing"
Never stop looking. If that makes me a perve, so be it.

And anyway, it's all in the eyes.

Last edited by nonthaburi; Mar 14th 2021 at 4:05 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Explains the typical Saudi male mentality very well, which seems to be that all women are uncontrollably wanton if not constrained by moral laws. Don't wear an abbaya hence a slut, do wear an abbaya hence a covert slut. Embarrassing stuff really
True and nicely put if I may say. On the other side of the coin, the full concealment saves the embarrassment of friends who find they have similar appointments at the vaginal reconstruction clinic. Whilst I appreciate the omission quotation marks in relation to the word slut was merely an oversight, Saudi girls are certainly more enlightened than the Islamic tradition is comfortable with. They are now banned from my compound due to the pressure from disgruntled fathers.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:23 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiHo
True and nicely put if I may say. On the other side of the coin, the full concealment saves the embarrassment of friends who find they have similar appointments at the vaginal reconstruction clinic. Whilst I appreciate the omission quotation marks in relation to the word slut was merely an oversight, Saudi girls are certainly more enlightened than the Islamic tradition is comfortable with. They are now banned from my compound due to the pressure from disgruntled fathers.
So steering the discussion back from vaginas to compound living, would you agree that compound apartments do not offer the best quality dwellings compared to the newly constructed condos that big cities have to offer?

I've viewed some places recently and if I exclude the notion of "safety and security" then compound living simply doesn't seem to offer value for money. True, you may have to buy your own furnishings and stuff but hey how much would that cost unless you shop at Fortnum.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Your decision will be personal to you, If your on a low salary and have lots of spare time to shop for furniture and maintenance materials and your practical person who can undertake basic plumbing and electrical repairs go off compound. If your moving to an executive position working a 60+hr week make your life easier and live on compound. Rentals land lords don't have maintenance contractors like in the real world the tenant has do do it all in many cases. If your really anti compound maybe look at a residence attached to a hotel which does come the maintenance support. You also might like to look a rental on the DQ, the DQ land lords do offer a degree of maintenance its kind of half way house between on and off compound. Good Luck with finding somthing suitable
Old Mar 21st 2021, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Family - compound. Singole male - anywhere you fancy. Life in KSA is diffuclt for women. Do not make it more difficult for them by living off-compound.