Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Old Feb 15th 2021, 9:52 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Hi folks

I would like some expert advice on comparing the pros and cons of living in a compound vs. non-compound in Riyadh. I am a single male and this would be my first time in the region. From research and browsing these forums I know that compounds are ideal for western expats but I have also heard that you can get equally nicer apartments outside the compounds for significantly cheaper rents. First of all, is this true?

And secondly, why exactly is it that some of you folks prefer to live in compounds (especially in KSA)?
Old Feb 16th 2021, 5:29 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh - Compound vs. non-compound

Originally Posted by Edo View Post
Hi folks

I would like some expert advice on comparing the pros and cons of living in a compound vs. non-compound in Riyadh. I am a single male and this would be my first time in the region. From research and browsing these forums I know that compounds are ideal for western expats but I have also heard that you can get equally nicer apartments outside the compounds for significantly cheaper rents. First of all, is this true?

And secondly, why exactly is it that some of you folks prefer to live in compounds (especially in KSA)?
You must have taken a position as a client representative in KSA, no answers provided without consultation

Compounds allow you to freely mingle without the general KSA rules in force in public, such as hair covering, abayas etc. they are a lot more expensive yes. If you don't need that facility then look for an external location.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Edo View Post
Hi folks

Hi Edo,

You are correct, you can get cheap luxury apartments outside of compounds, even renting a whole villa with a pool would work out cheaper than a apartment on a good compound.

Riyadh or Saudi in general has become much more relaxed in terms of restrictions in the past 2 years. The main benefits of living on a compound is that you can get to meet other westerners and be part of social circle. Depending on your line of work there is no reason you cannot meet other westerners in your work place.

Hope that helps.

Old Feb 18th 2021, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

HiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really nice

Compounds are not in place to protect you from the local community. They were set up to protect the local community from the O&G boys, and the work hard play hard ethos. In the last two years that has changed but all the infrastructure that might offend the local imam remains on the compounds.