Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Red traffic light Doha

Red traffic light Doha

Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red traffic light Doha

Originally Posted by deek79
Ok so been checking the moi since Last wkd an still nothing now I'm trying to talk myself out of the fact it might not have caught me but in the back of my mind Im thinking it's just going to take a bit time as it was eid last week.....

Been driving like a shitbag since doing 60 everywhere and it's the uncertainty anyway keep you all updated fingers crossed on another noted who tried to get to the brazil game last night unbelievable .... World cup don't make me laugh supposedly 25000 there last night so how come there were 50000 cars lol!!!!
Mate , i went to Barzil V Argentina and the Asian Cup Final last year , you have never seen anything like it . We couldn't get in the latter as they'd filled all the seats up and bussed in workers from Ras Laffan as they didn't want an empty stadium . It was basically out of control and dangerous , they brought the mounted police out FFS !

Organised sporting events or anything organised is alien to Gulf Arabs and especially Qatari's . No one wants to wait , sit in the right seat , park correctly and even watch the fu**ing game , it's the only time at a football ground i've seen a V.V.I.P section...

Your basically wasting your time doing anything that involves officialdom here , it will just be a fu** up .

I wouldn't let these morons run a domino handicap nevermind a World Cup.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:37 am
Just Joined

deek79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quality you have been here to long mate can tell!!!

You think I'm getting my hopes up if violation not up on system yet been a week.... Just don't want to think great then boom 6000Q!!!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Quality you have been here to long mate can tell!!!

You think I'm getting my hopes up if violation not up on system yet been a week.... Just don't want to think great then boom 6000Q!!!
There's no camera on that interchange , i work at the new airport and come past them lights everyday , i might be wrong though mate .

Yeah mate , a days far too long in this hell hole !
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Ok

Been driving like a shitbag since doing 60 everywhere
I guess that it was you that I was stuck behind on the Corniche this morning - could you push it along a little on the way home this evening: we have got a bit of a don on tonight and I don't want to be late.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:02 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Bloke from HR comes down into my office and requests 500 QAR for speeding ticket in a hire car I had during the first month in Doha. I never seen any flashes cameras or anything but paid up anyway to avoid the hassle. I did get flashed once when i braked heavily on C Ring Rd and just overshot the lights by a few feet - never got any ticket for that one though.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

OK.

1) you can drive on a UK licence for one week
2) officially you cannot drive on an international licence, but most of the major car hire companies will accept an international licence.
3) You should get a temporary licence from the traffic police department at Madinat Khalifa south (1.4 km from Landmark Mall). You need passport size photographs photocopies of UK driving licence (both sides) passport and visa stamps. You need an eye test which you can do at an opticians (e.g in Lulu centre - cost you QR 40) or at the traffic police centre costs you nothing. It takes about 20 minutes to get the temporary licence. (just play dumb and follow the instructions given). It is valid just as long as your visa is valid. So if you are on 30 day visit it is valid for 30 days. It cost QR 150 and you need to pay by credit card.
4) when you get your temporary licence you get back a file of papers. To renew the temporary licence (every 30 days if like me you are on a visit visa) then you take back your expired licence, the file of papers and your passport. It costs QR 150 and takes 10 minutes to renew.