Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Red traffic light Doha

Red traffic light Doha

Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

deek79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red traffic light Doha

ok i got lost today in doha (been here 12 days) behind a land rover at set of traffic lights trying to look at a map....land rover pulls away i pull away as well then realise weve both just went through a red traffic light.....obviously me following him without paying attention (thus my fault)...

Spoke to a friend and i know i need to go on website and check but pretty sure it must have been caught a major intersection.

few questions.... i dont currently have my qatari license yet just driving with my uk license..expect to get it in next few days ...ive been told hefty fine (4000-6000Q) and 7 points dedcuted from Qatari license (which starts at 14 points)....so quesitons are:

Am i ok driving with my uk license being in the country 12 days (some people have told me 7 and some 14days...?)

Are there any other implications of not having got my qatari license yet....

Is it an issue getting a hire car with points on your license....or getting car insurance...

Any other advice welcome (except saying dont go through red lights!)
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red traffic light Doha

Originally Posted by deek79
ok i got lost today in doha (been here 12 days) behind a land rover at set of traffic lights trying to look at a map....land rover pulls away i pull away as well then realise weve both just went through a red traffic light.....obviously me following him without paying attention (thus my fault)...

Spoke to a friend and i know i need to go on website and check but pretty sure it must have been caught a major intersection.

few questions.... i dont currently have my qatari license yet just driving with my uk license..expect to get it in next few days ...ive been told hefty fine (4000-6000Q) and 7 points dedcuted from Qatari license (which starts at 14 points)....so quesitons are:

Am i ok driving with my uk license being in the country 12 days (some people have told me 7 and some 14days...?)

Are there any other implications of not having got my qatari license yet....

Is it an issue getting a hire car with points on your license....or getting car insurance...

Any other advice welcome (except saying dont go through red lights!)
In my time, a U.K. licence was fine for 7 days. It may have changed since then, but I am sure that you are going to have a bit of aggro coming your way. Sorry I can't be more positive.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

any details......
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

any details......
I don't really know. Sorry. A mixture of being upfront, apologetic and humble, with a "I'm very sorry , I misunderstood, I am extremely apologetic!"

Don't count on it, but, hey! It's Qatar! It might work....
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

How long does it take to put any violations on the e-system.....I.e just checked and nothing there ....am I getting my hopes up... And in few days it will be there.zz
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How long does it take to put any violations on the e-system.....I.e just checked and nothing there ....am I getting my hopes up... And in few days it will be there.zz
I can't really help you there. My number plate in Doha was 43377, which, given my employers had a "get out of trouble" link, gave me a bit of immunity.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The bad news is that it's a 6000 QAR fine but can be negotiated down to 3000QAR.

It could take weeks for the E-system to be updated , nothing works in this backward hellhole. Take into consideration that they're still in the Eid holiday mindset here so anything could happen.
My advice is when you get the notice is to go down to the traffic department and plead your innocence and ham up the sob story.

I'm forever getting nicked for speeding but got my last points dropped after a nice conversation and a round of coffees for Doha's finest law enforcement agents .
There's a good chance you'll get off as you've just arrived but obviously don't bank on it . Get your license sorted as quick as you can , they will interpret the rules as they see fit here , it's part of their D.N.A

Last edited by co durham boy; Nov 11th 2011 at 5:08 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been back to the scene to confirm that there was a CCTV camera installed and working? Maybe you will be lucky.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Have you been back to the scene to confirm that there was a CCTV camera installed and working? Maybe you will be lucky.
Bang on , not all intersections have cameras here , those that haven't will always have 'jumpers'
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:46 am
Just Joined

was at Ras abu abbound intersection just past the airport.

will they not check the date of the incident, date i recieved my license and the date i arrived in the country....i.e it was more than 7 days in the country with my uk license (12 days) and notice i hadn't got my qatari license yet....will i not get shit for that..............

it was a comapny car as well dont know if its regsitered to me....just got it from company when i arrived....thinking really sly but could i get one of the other guys in the office i.e. indian guys to take fine for me....give him cash....or is that too far

cheers for the help guys
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

thinking really sly but could i get one of the other guys in the office i.e. indian guys to take fine for me....give him cash....or is that too far
That's fine until the day when you go and piss him off, off he runs to plod and sings like a canary and both of you end up in the slammer for perjury or perverting the course of justice!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:22 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, If there was no obvious camera flash then it is unlikely there was a working camera. I checked your car plate here, and there are no violations showing: http://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english/eServices/index.html

You only get 7 days on your UK licence out here, before you need to get a temporary Qatar licence. Best to get someone from the office to accompany you to the Traffic Police dept. to help fill in the paperwork - the locals are a grumpy, unhelpful lot. Expect to be sent away empty handed at least twice, to fill in more forms, photocopies etc. You'll need to sit and pass an eye test first and as a minimum you'll need your UK licence (both parts, and a colour photocopy of each), passport, visa paperwork, credit card. From memory the temp. licence lasts a month, is renewable and you can get a permanent licence once your Residency Permit comes through.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

was at Ras abu abbound intersection just past the airport.

will they not check the date of the incident, date i recieved my license and the date i arrived in the country....i.e it was more than 7 days in the country with my uk license (12 days) and notice i hadn't got my qatari license yet....will i not get shit for that..............

it was a comapny car as well dont know if its regsitered to me....just got it from company when i arrived....thinking really sly but could i get one of the other guys in the office i.e. indian guys to take fine for me....give him cash....or is that too far

cheers for the help guys
Don't worry about it too much , just deal with it when it happens , you can't put any procedure or process into things here , if you try you'll drive yourself insane .

You could be ok as you've just arrived
Old Nov 12th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

My hire car company insisted on me having a temporary licence. You need some photographs - Go to the traffic police department which is somewhere near Landmark Mall. Eye test and everything are done there. Just play thick, fill in whatever form you get an go where you are told to. Eventually pay QR 150 on your credit card and get a licence. The licence is valid as long as your visit visa is valid. A lot of hassle for a licence valid only 30 days.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Ok so been checking the moi since Last wkd an still nothing now I'm trying to talk myself out of the fact it might not have caught me but in the back of my mind Im thinking it's just going to take a bit time as it was eid last week.....

Been driving like a shitbag since doing 60 everywhere and it's the uncertainty anyway keep you all updated fingers crossed on another noted who tried to get to the brazil game last night unbelievable .... World cup don't make me laugh supposedly 25000 there last night so how come there were 50000 cars lol!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.