Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Originally Posted by mathematist
I am always amazed at how the thought of not consuming a 300-500ml drink determines where people work, live and go for a holiday during a particular time and life generally.
Yawn.....
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:33 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I am always amazed at how the thought of not consuming a 300-500ml drink determines where people work, live and go for a holiday during a particular time and life generally.
The drink is a reflection of many other things about a place that definitely do impact on one's life there.

Bangkok is always a fun place...
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:13 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Ignoring this pretentious bullshit written above (Ethos I mean) , and the description of Cairo as a shit hole, the truth is somewhere in between.
If you are an uptight person in general you won't like the place but if you can go with the flow and be cool you will certainly have fun.

Seeing as you are booked to Bangkok you should have probably mentioned you just wanted a few days of whoring and drinking
I need to tick Thai off my list, that mission shall be accomplished.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:00 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Cairo is a fu**ing sewer mate compared to Jordan , not sure about Lincoln though , do you ned a visa ?
Yup, and 36p for the toll bridge http://dunhambridge.co.uk/dbc_tolls.htm

Keeps all the northern monkeys out.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:04 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Debowing
Good choice on Bangkok - mate - that's what I would have chosen too. What better place to celebrate the Holy Month!!! Happy Iftars my frend...

I was in Dubai last Ramadan for a week to clear up my affairs with my previous employer, and I did go out for a drink and some other sinful activities at the respectful Seashell Inn Hotel....And there was a muttawa type of police man who inspected the premises, while everyone was having a quiet drink and there was no music...And the guy was smiling and polite...

Got to hand it to Dubai-they are the masters of balance between islamic purity and western sinfullness...Anyway, we had a few beers with the filipina girls and I then invited a curvy one back to my temporary appartment in Al Qusais for some frolics...Her name was R.
Hope you got a Ramadan discount from her.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe that posters brag about going with prostitutes. Do what you like, but bragging about it is utterly tasteless.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm always amazed that people allow 1000+ year old 'books' tell them how to live.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:20 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Meow
I can't believe that posters brag about going with prostitutes. Do what you like, but bragging about it is utterly tasteless.
He didn't mention payment.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
He didn't mention payment.
I didn't name any particular posters. Several have made reference to this of late.

Last edited by Meow; Jun 28th 2012 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:24 pm
Shark Fisherman

I would like to think a lot of it is tongue in cheek?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:27 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Close.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:27 pm
Bored liberal

I don't think we need the details...

Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Meow
Spot on meow and it's ironic that the same people speak about what's morally right or not it, what's modest or not and women should reveal all and not cover up.

The fact that they know women also read comments on this site shows how they view women, but they'll just say it's just bloke talk etc...

You don't have to follow a thousand year old book to figure that out.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on meow and it's ironic that the same people speak about what's morally right or not it, what's modest or not and women should reveal all and not cover up.

The fact that they know women also read comments on this site shows how they view women, but they'll just say it's just bloke talk etc...

You don't have to follow a thousand year old book to figure that out.
That reveals your true colours: provided other people have the same or similar moral code as you, they're permitted to voice their opinions. If they don't, they're not. You may well do things that I find morally reprehensible (based on my moral code), but that doesn't give me the right to say that you may not comment on other matters concerning morals.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:21 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's totally illogical. In the UAE you can drink (which is forbidden by the Koran), but you can't listen to music (which isn't). Err, hang on...
Drinking isn't forbidden in the Koran, it's more of a suggestion than a clear prohibition like pork, having a sense of humour and historical revisionism to make out your entire ideology was spread peacefully and never stole anyone's land.

And the Koran technically allows non-Muslims to carry on as they like provided they pay a special tax to their Muslim overlords and don't try to take positions of influence of power/preach their beliefs etc.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.