Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Originally Posted by mathematist
Spot on meow and it's ironic that the same people speak about what's morally right or not it, what's modest or not and women should reveal all and not cover up.

The fact that they know women also read comments on this site shows how they view women, but they'll just say it's just bloke talk etc...

You don't have to follow a thousand year old book to figure that out.
You have misunderstood my comment. We are not agreeing.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I know where this thread is headed .........
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:38 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Ramadan Drinking in GCC

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I know where this thread is headed .........
Up suzy floo's backdoors when Britexpat gets a hold of her in thailand.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Drinking isn't forbidden in the Koran, it's more of a suggestion than a clear prohibition like pork, having a sense of humour and historical revisionism to make out your entire ideology was spread peacefully and never stole anyone's land.

And the Koran technically allows non-Muslims to carry on as they like provided they pay a special tax to their Muslim overlords and don't try to take positions of influence of power/preach their beliefs etc.

N.
May I politely suggest you speak not about something you really know very little about such as the prohibition of alcohol and other 'Islamic' topics.

If you want to discuss, fine, but if you're posting statements with your inaccurate views, it will cause even more confusion. Using 'Sheikh' Google for a fatwa doesn't count either as you'll probably find any 'brand' of Islam you like.

Speak to a practicing member of the faith would be a better suggestion if you have a genuine interest to find out more.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
I can't believe that posters brag about going with prostitutes. Do what you like, but bragging about it is utterly tasteless.
If I had said that, I'd be villified for being a backward, stoneaged individual and when someone like meow says that, it's overlooked.

Double standards once again but the bullies (you know who you are) are too deluded to see otherwise and just get a kick at (attempting) to put others down...
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

I was at a bar last night, it was full of working ladies, and the men, were locals, the men were drinking and obviously leaving with the girls
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by winter
I was at a bar last night, it was full of working ladies, and the men, were locals, the men were drinking and obviously leaving with the girls
say something new and the point being?...Just out of interest, how do you know they were locals?

Emiratis? Syrians, Lebanese? Balooshis, Omanis, Saudis? Do people here know the differenceDress / Kindoras?

If they were local, do you know which type of Arab or even if they were Muslim, Christian, Shia, Druze, Alawites etc...

Point is, each of the above sects will have different views of 'haram' or not...
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:33 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

May I politely suggest you speak not about something you really know very little about such as the prohibition of alcohol and other 'Islamic' topics.

If you want to discuss, fine, but if you're posting statements with your inaccurate views, it will cause even more confusion. Using 'Sheikh' Google for a fatwa doesn't count either as you'll probably find any 'brand' of Islam you like.

Speak to a practicing member of the faith would be a better suggestion if you have a genuine interest to find out more.
This would be fine if practicing always equalled knowledgeable...
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:34 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter
No way! This never happened in any bar I ever went to in Bahrain..
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:51 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
No way! This never happened in any bar I ever went to in Bahrain..
Nor the UAE...and yes mathsbloke, they are UAE nationals and yes they are muslims and yes they are absolved of any wrongdoing because they use a napkin to wrap around the pint glass so we cant see that they are drinking..
Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

[QUOTE=mathematist;10146529]say something new and the point being?...Just out of interest, how do you know they were locals?

Emiratis? Syrians, Lebanese? Balooshis, Omanis, Saudis? Do people here know the differenceDress / Kindoras?

Yes I do know the difference. Also the person I was with, knew several of them, and they were Emiratis.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If I had said that, I'd be villified for being a backward, stoneaged individual and when someone like meow says that, it's overlooked.

Double standards once again but the bullies (you know who you are) are too deluded to see otherwise and just get a kick at (attempting) to put others down...
Both you and DD have misunderstood what I posted. Deliberately? Read my post again,

I can't believe that posters brag about going with prostitutes. Do what you like, but bragging about it is utterly tasteless.

Can you not understand that I have said nothing about prostitution or going with them? My point, which was perfectly clear to most, is that the bragging about it is tasteless and crass.

What two consenting adults do in private is entirely their own business (provided no one else is being hurt) and not the business of governments, religious bodies or anyone else.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:37 pm
Bored liberal

May I politely suggest you speak not about something you really know very little about such as the prohibition of alcohol and other 'Islamic' topics. You don't have to be a Muslim to understand the basic tenets of the faith. The books and teaching are in the public domain.

If you want to discuss, fine, but if you're posting statements with your inaccurate views, it will cause even more confusion. Using 'Sheikh' Google for a fatwa doesn't count either as you'll probably find any 'brand' of Islam you like. How very arrogant of you to assume that no one here has no understanding .

Speak to a practicing member of the faith would be a better suggestion if you have a genuine interest to find out more. On the contrary - far better to speak to someone who has studied the religion and all its teaching to get an understanding that to speak to someone who accepts it all blindly with no real understanding.
What nonsense - see my comments in blue above.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:11 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest you stop asking me to engage in self-censorship just because you think the only way to be knowledgeable about Islam is to actually be a Muslim.

More condescending insinuations that I only know about Islam from google searches, despite 12 years in the GCC and a lot of reading and dialogue with Muslims years before I even set foot in the Middle East...

You're not able to comprehend someone could seriously study your belief and not convert to it are you?

How about this: if you think I've said something wrong try correcting it instead of asking me to shut up? Respond to points if you're convinced I'm wrong - I will reply and if I'm wrong I'll admit it. But don't tell me I can only know something by converting to and subscribing to a system...that is ridiculous, dishonest and designed to silence all criticism, whether it's based on fact or not. It is anathema to free inquiry and polemics (which are the natural enemy of faith so I can see why you are against them).

N.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:13 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
What nonsense - see my comments in blue above.
This goes back to my "in order to understand Hitler was a c**k I had to become a Nazi" post in another thread...

N.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.