Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

Old May 22nd 2012, 1:13 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

Originally Posted by Alexa
Ah...well, as they say..Qatar has something to offer to all and sundry! Very versatile place....
The delightful Watering Hole.............Even I don't go there and it sells alcohol.

To the OP, I have just rented a very big 3 bed Villa on a compound for 11k a month with new furniture. The finders fee was 1/3 of a months rent QR3600 and only 1 month upfront.
Old May 24th 2012, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Stuza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abbey08
If you are insisting on throwing your money away it has to be the W.
lol - I take back my previous response to you, despite your attitude.

I looked at the W last night and the large 1 bed fits my needs almost perfectly! I have the wife coming over in a week whilst she is on school holidays (she's a teacher, not a student! ) and I will show her this and the Asas Towers.

These, from what I have seen, are the best suited to my needs but give two diferent slants on it, one luxury but small(er) the other well equipped and spacious but not quite to the same standard as the W. I could move in to the W tomorrow but the RP will block me with the Asas Towers.

I'll let her chose from these and go with the flow.

Thanks Brit, I need somewhere that's walking distance to all the other hotels (serviced apartments) where my friends are staying and short walking distance to City Mall (I really need to get a motorbike....)

p.s. its not a question of "throwing your money away", its a question of needs and requirements.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Women of debatable repute offering their ' so called ' services to fat purple faced expats with mobile phones strapped to their belt !
I'll have you know that this statement is now out of date.

We are now all fat purple faced expats with Iphone 4S's in red flip Ferrari covers which we carry in our shirt pockets
Old May 25th 2012, 6:53 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

p.s. its not a question of "throwing your money away", its a question of needs and requirements.[/QUOTE]

You are right its about needs and requirements but somewhere like the W whilst really nice is basically a hotel and will never be a "home". Those of us that are here for a while mostly want a home with a bit of community and normality - you generally find this in a compound.

The W is a really cool place to stay but most people I know who stay there are either at work or in the W bar - no one ever seemed to treat the place like you would a home.

All in all though you will have made an excellent choice if you move in to the W. Best of luck with your Qatar adventure.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point

The new St Regis apartments (by the Intercon) are fully furnished with free internet and start at 15k for a 2 bed and have two months free which brings the price down. Theyre really that not that far from West Bay.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrblast
The new St Regis apartments (by the Intercon) are fully furnished with free internet and start at 15k for a 2 bed and have two months free which brings the price down. Theyre really that not that far from West Bay.
Cool- thanks!!!! I'll have a google
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:29 am
Just Joined

runningscared is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure St Regis is on a website so you might have to walk in (i did) and talk to reception and a couple of guys who handle the leasing. Have been in and know a few people who live there. You get limited access to the hotel but apartment themselves are a bit small and constant teething problems.

The new Intercon (near City Centre) has apartments. Someone from work is staying there and apparently nothing works properly, hotel staff are hopeless and there are sewage problems (draining and smelling!).

Could try Kempinski?

Asus not bad, although wasn't there a problem with safety in Asus a while ago? Beach Tower is supposed to be fairly priced and has Bread and Bagels in it... Otherwise the usual Beverley Hills, Regency etc?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stuza
Thanks Durham Boy, problem is I need to wait for my residency permit to come through (how long??? weeks probably!) AND I may need to pay "finders fees" as well as up to six months deposit (not always but possible).... all of which puts me right off it.

A hotel is easy. One months deposit, no RP needed. Could move in tomorrow!

The new Hilton? Everything on the web (is old) that I've found said that its under construction, maybe I should take another look Sheraton? Usefull location but the thought of whats going on, on the second floor (even though it won't affect me) puts me off a little.
I have been renting an apartment on the Pearl (QR 10000 month) for one year without a Resident Permit. Also there are agents who do not charge finders fees (two weeks rent if they do only one months deposit is required but because i did not have a RP or bank account I pay rent 3 months in advance) ) The new Hilton has just opened. There is the Beverley hills towers, Kempinski plus many others in West Bay QR 15,000 is just below what you need (18,000) for the 4/5 star serviced apartment. I prefer the more down market versions. Liberty towers QR-9000 month was fine for me when i first arrived; full size fully fitted kitchen, terrible area but only 5 minutes from bars in the Ramada. There are better without paying 18,000. If you don't drive and won't drive ?? then you will need to find yourself a car with driver.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:47 am
Just Joined

OK so, I took the wife around three "finalists" yesterday and the results are in:

1 - Intercontinental - great place, great facilities but rooms old and tatty.
2 - Asas Towers - good rooms but not brilliant and the gym is useless, pool constantly shut this time of year due to wind.
3 - W Hotel - Perfect, fits the bill perfectly. Internet is a bit poor at half meg but for anything more serious I have my phone and its data package and the 512 will be enough for light TV use. And they are throwing in the internet with the price of the room, as I understand it, this is not normal for the W Hotel.

p.s. I will be driving, I'll be getting a bike in the next few weeks but only because I will not be going through the more dangerous parts of town - my commute to work is through "relatively" safe roads.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:55 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

OK so, I took the wife around three "finalists" yesterday and the results are in:

1 - Intercontinental - great place, great facilities but rooms old and tatty.
2 - Asas Towers - good rooms but not brilliant and the gym is useless, pool constantly shut this time of year due to wind.
3 - W Hotel - Perfect, fits the bill perfectly. Internet is a bit poor at half meg but for anything more serious I have my phone and its data package and the 512 will be enough for light TV use. And they are throwing in the internet with the price of the room, as I understand it, this is not normal for the W Hotel.

p.s. I will be driving, I'll be getting a bike in the next few weeks but only because I will not be going through the more dangerous parts of town - my commute to work is through "relatively" safe roads.
Stuza,

So how are you finding W hotel, looks like I may be joining you sooner rather than later...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
Stuza,

So how are you finding W hotel, looks like I may be joining you sooner rather than later...
Never moved in. Looks like im now leaving Doha due to work change Although you will often find me proping up the cheap bar during happy hour! (Usually reading on my laptop)

Have you spoken to Sanim yet?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:47 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Never moved in. Looks like im now leaving Doha due to work change Although you will often find me proping up the cheap bar during happy hour! (Usually reading on my laptop)

Have you spoken to Sanim yet?
Not yet, are they (M/F) from W then? W are "getting back to me".
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
Not yet, are they (M/F) from W then? W are "getting back to me".
Sanim, male, the guy that manages the residency sales. Nice guy, if a bit young (well, sadly most are compared to me at 39 )

I will PM you his details or I can meet you in the bar and give them to you tonight?

edit: Details sent to you PM.

I looked at 2, 1 bedroom apartments. A small one at 16000 (I think) and a much bigger one at 18000. If I was going to stay I would get the bigger one as is another 50% bigger than the 16000 QAR (60m2 x 97m2 iirc).

Last edited by Stuza; Jun 13th 2012 at 11:54 am.