Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

Old May 21st 2012, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Stuza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

Hey guys

I've just arrived in Qatar and having had a discussion with some of the guys I'm working with, I think i'd like to live in serviced apartments. The two I have found are in the Marriott and Intercontinental. I love the Inter but its too far out of town (I don't currently drive) and having spoken to the Marriott it's just a little out of my budget (around QAR19000).

I think I have about QAR15000 to spend on the "rent" but this must include everything. Ideally, also in a hotel that has a bar! The room must have kitchen facilities (not the poor effort given in the Movenpick) and good broadband connection (again, Movenpick is an example of poor). It really is a shame that the Inter is far out.... it ticks all the boxes otherwise.

Do any of you know of anything in West Bay or nearby? (remember, no transport!)

Thanks in advance!!!

edit: I don't have my RP yet but the Marriott and Inter didn't care too much about this, i'm guessing the other hotels will be the same?
Old May 21st 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QATAR, Doha: Serviced Apartments for 1 year?

Originally Posted by Stuza
Hey guys

I've just arrived in Qatar and having had a discussion with some of the guys I'm working with, I think i'd like to live in serviced apartments. The two I have found are in the Marriott and Intercontinental. I love the Inter but its too far out of town (I don't currently drive) and having spoken to the Marriott it's just a little out of my budget (around QAR19000).

I think I have about QAR15000 to spend on the "rent" but this must include everything. Ideally, also in a hotel that has a bar! The room must have kitchen facilities (not the poor effort given in the Movenpick) and good broadband connection (again, Movenpick is an example of poor). It really is a shame that the Inter is far out.... it ticks all the boxes otherwise.

Do any of you know of anything in West Bay or nearby? (remember, no transport!)

Thanks in advance!!!

edit: I don't have my RP yet but the Marriott and Inter didn't care too much about this, i'm guessing the other hotels will be the same?
Do yourself a favour and have a look around mate , 15,000 QAR a month will get you anythijg from a 5 bedroom villa to a fully furnished two bedroom on The Pearl .

Have a look at the classified section in http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...1&temp_type=42

Serviced apartments are mega expensive here and value for money is low in my opinion.
Old May 21st 2012, 2:45 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Sheraton, Four Seasons or the new Hilton (just opened?).

Must admit, I like the Sheraton, well established in a good spot, with nice pool and beach access. Easy walking distance to the City Centre and Corniche.

[J]
Old May 21st 2012, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Durham Boy, problem is I need to wait for my residency permit to come through (how long??? weeks probably!) AND I may need to pay "finders fees" as well as up to six months deposit (not always but possible).... all of which puts me right off it.

A hotel is easy. One months deposit, no RP needed. Could move in tomorrow!

The new Hilton? Everything on the web (is old) that I've found said that its under construction, maybe I should take another look Sheraton? Usefull location but the thought of whats going on, on the second floor (even though it won't affect me) puts me off a little.
Old May 21st 2012, 5:23 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

If you are insisting on throwing your money away it has to be the W.
Old May 21st 2012, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by abbey08
If you are insisting on throwing your money away it has to be the W.
Wow, thanks for the constructive and useful input into the conversation.

Anyway, I emailed the Sheraton Johnny.... I suppose its got to be worth at least a casual thought and investigation despite the second floor activities. I just tried again but couldn't find anything stating that the Hilton Residence has opened, would you have any ideas/links?
Old May 21st 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks for the constructive and useful input into the conversation.

Anyway, I emailed the Sheraton Johnny.... I suppose its got to be worth at least a casual thought and investigation despite the second floor activities. I just tried again but couldn't find anything stating that the Hilton Residence has opened, would you have any ideas/links?
Sorry, but what exactly is happening on the second floor?
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Sorry, but what exactly is happening on the second floor?
Women of debatable repute offering their ' so called ' services to fat purple faced expats with mobile phones strapped to their belt !
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Durham Boy, problem is I need to wait for my residency permit to come through (how long??? weeks probably!) AND I may need to pay "finders fees" as well as up to six months deposit (not always but possible).... all of which puts me right off it.

A hotel is easy. One months deposit, no RP needed. Could move in tomorrow!

The new Hilton? Everything on the web (is old) that I've found said that its under construction, maybe I should take another look Sheraton? Usefull location but the thought of whats going on, on the second floor (even though it won't affect me) puts me off a little.
6 months deposit is total bullshite mate . The RP thing could stop you from securing the lease but your RP shouldnt take more than 2 weeks max , shorter if you're with a decent outfit and have a P.R.O who knows the score .

You don't need to pay finders fees mate , just do the leg work yourself it's easy . Doha is a tiny place and the money that you have to spend you can narrow it down to specific areas.

My advice is to take somewhere short term such as http://www.regencygroupq.com/site/s.php?se=real&id=15

Then use that as a base to have a look at a fully furnished apartment , there's loads of good ones around and landlords will go for 3 , 6 , or 12 month leases so that you're not tied in .
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Again, thank you!

I must admit, I did think that 6 months deposit which is mentioned more than once online, seemed a bit harsh... I mean, not everyone has 84000QAR in the bank when they first get here.

The reason I believed I needed a RP is that you need to write the post dated cheques and sadly, I'm still waiting for my certified copy of my diploma to be certified and sent so I'm looking at around 4 weeks at the moment before I even get that. My RP will then be processed by my companies HR team who are renowned for being useless (aren't they all?) and it normally takes our guys up to six weeks. I wonder if I did it privately how much it would cost, any idea?

In short, I guess I could be tempted in normal style accommodation, it just depends on how quickly I can get all the RP paperwork done, both in the UK and here.

I've emailed the link you provided and asked them for a price.

Again, thank you for your help! I owe you a beer!!

Next step, getting my motorcycle IDP converted

(and yes, it is small isn't it! It seems to be about as big as Slough )
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Again, thank you!

I must admit, I did think that 6 months deposit which is mentioned more than once online, seemed a bit harsh... I mean, not everyone has 84000QAR in the bank when they first get here.

The reason I believed I needed a RP is that you need to write the post dated cheques and sadly, I'm still waiting for my certified copy of my diploma to be certified and sent so I'm looking at around 4 weeks at the moment before I even get that. My RP will then be processed by my companies HR team who are renowned for being useless (aren't they all?) and it normally takes our guys up to six weeks. I wonder if I did it privately how much it would cost, any idea?

In short, I guess I could be tempted in normal style accommodation, it just depends on how quickly I can get all the RP paperwork done, both in the UK and here.

I've emailed the link you provided and asked them for a price.

Again, thank you for your help! I owe you a beer!!

Next step, getting my motorcycle IDP converted

(and yes, it is small isn't it! It seems to be about as big as Slough )
You'll be fine mate , just take your time and have a look around and find your bearings slowly . Everyone wants to get things all done within the first few weeks but it's impossible here , sometimes you just have to let it take it's course .
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:34 am
Just Joined

... The RP thing could stop you from securing the lease but your RP shouldnt take more than 2 weeks max , shorter if you're with a decent outfit and have a P.R.O who knows the score .
Would you have any recommendations on a company that can help with this? I don't want to wait nearly 2 months just because of our HR team and if its a question of money to buy a service to speed this up, I could be very tempted.
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Would you have any recommendations on a company that can help with this? I don't want to wait nearly 2 months just because of our HR team and if its a question of money to buy a service to speed this up, I could be very tempted.
You need to bully your H.R people into getting your stuff done . They'll be notorious for letting shit sit on their desks then reacting when it hits the fan .

This unfortunately is how a lot of people work out here , stay on top of it and constantly keep the pressure on them , inform them that you need this done and badger them hourly .

Very time consuming and brain numbing but sometimes its the only way , once you have everything in place it'll be a a lot easier. The H.R guys know how long it takes and how it needs to be done just explain to them that you also know as well
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:40 am
Just Joined

OK mate, will do. I know what its like to emigrate (have done South Africa and Germany before) and that things always happen at a different pace to what we know and are used to. I just hoped there might be a quicker way.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Stuza; May 22nd 2012 at 8:59 am.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Women of debatable repute offering their ' so called ' services to fat purple faced expats with mobile phones strapped to their belt !
Ah...well, as they say..Qatar has something to offer to all and sundry! Very versatile place....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.