Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The property apocalypse draws closer...

The property apocalypse draws closer...

Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The property apocalypse draws closer...

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Why would you name a bit of desert on which you will recreate the 7 wonders of the world (and the Eiffel Tower) Falcon City? Why not Seven Wonderland or something vaguely relevant?
Because from the air it has the shape of a falcon.
Of course...much like the palms......you can't frickin tell what it looks like when you live there so who the f cares?!?!

City of Arabia is also in trouble I understand.

Last edited by Jeeper; Oct 24th 2008 at 1:17 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:54 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
I just hope this is not the mother of all bubbles.....my colleagues (having bought 2-3 properties each) are worried sick as they can't find any buyers....
Oh lordy.

Fact is that anyone who thought a 20-50% return on investment per year (or more) was 'safe' is an economic illiterate.

2-3 properties each? They probably think that hedging is green stuff that goes around the edge of your garden.

The fact is people like this will always conspire to lose everything. I have some magic beans if any of them are interested?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The property apocalypse draws closer...

Originally Posted by captainflack
Oh lordy.

Fact is that anyone who thought a 20-50% return on investment per year (or more) was 'safe' is an economic illiterate.

2-3 properties each? They probably think that hedging is green stuff that goes around the edge of your garden.

The fact is people like this will always conspire to lose everything. I have some magic beans if any of them are interested?
I'd assume that if they felt property was risky and they couldn't cash in they would have opened short positions on something else to provide some cover while they tried to sell . She does work in risk management after all .
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'd assume that if they felt property was risky and they couldn't cash in they would have opened short positions on something else to provide some cover while they tried to sell . She does work in risk management after all .
They're not in Risk Mgmnt - these are peeps in Sales....
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Will check and see if they might be interested...

I actually told one of them to get out 6 months ago - when he could still find the last batch of "investors" willing to pay stupid prices - unfortunately he got greedy....
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:51 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The property apocalypse draws closer...

Owww...I see .

Nothing wrong with greed, Gordon Gecko says "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:10 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if they are good sales people, now would be the time to prove it
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:45 pm

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

... did not log for 1 year ... and still the same argument!? Are we now closer to the bursting bubble?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diablo
... did not log for 1 year ... and still the same argument!? Are we now closer to the bursting bubble?
Speculators are scared now, and they'll be out of their minds next year!
The highly-leveraged among them will be forced to liquidate.

If you're planning on staying in Dubai for another 5-6 years... 2009/2010 could be another chance to buy at the 'bottom of the market'.

I may be the last optimist left, but I believe UAE has an incredible future, and Dubai is going to play a big role in it. To me, this looks more like a hiccup than the beginnings of a ghost-town.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:13 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Speculators are scared now, and they'll be out of their minds next year!
The highly-leveraged among them will be forced to liquidate.

If you're planning on staying in Dubai for another 5-6 years... 2009/2010 could be another chance to buy at the 'bottom of the market'.

I may be the last optimist left, but I believe UAE has an incredible future, and Dubai is going to play a big role in it. To me, this looks more like a hiccup than the beginnings of a ghost-town.
Dubai will never be a ghost town but I reckon that hiccup may turn into some pretty painful indigestion!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Dubai will never be a ghost town but I reckon that hiccup may turn into some pretty painful indigestion!
Indigestion... and perhaps some vomiting and diarrhea.

Nothing a little milk of magnesia won't fix.

What were we talking about again?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA5
By december you'll get a 3 br in the marina for less than 100K
The cheapest Marina 3BR is posted at 210K.
Did you mean December 2009? Or were you talking about a different Marina?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest Marina 3BR is posted at 210K.
Did you mean December 2009? Or were you talking about a different Marina?
what it is listed as and what it goes for are two different things, if it goes at all which I am guessing it wont
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I may just look for one of these sub-100K 3BR Marina apartments when my lease expires!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:53 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I may just look for one of these sub-100K 3BR Marina apartments when my lease expires!
If you can afford it and your job is secure you bloody well should!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.