Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by 954RR
Thanks for the info EM
I will go along there and give it a go as I have been amassing a surplus in my local account and would like to put it to good use in the UK earning me some interest. Besides which it has to get there at sometime in the next year anyway.
Regarding being nervous about them having my bank details, I supposed I am influenced by all the information around internet scams whereby people try and get hold of your bank details so giving them out freely is a bit nerve racking.

If I can get a better rate this way then it looks the way forward as the rate through the bank is not that good and the exchange rate seems to have got worse ever since I arrived.

Make sure you get all of the details for your account. It's not as simple as bank account and sort code. Ask your UK bank for its international remittance details including the correspondance bank and all of the references required.

It will look odd, as you may well be sending your money to a bank that you don't bank with and they forward it on. This is normal for international transfers.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Superdry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
The best (cheapest and best rate) is to use UAEexchange, just turn up with a wad of cash, your passport and join the queue...

I generally find the rate is 5-7% better than HSBC and the same day charge is 60Dh, compared to 100ish with HSBC

They will handle any amount of money, I once took 300,000Dh there in 1000Dh notes, no problem, no questions asked...

I 2nd this, i also have an UAExchange card.

You literally walk in and negotiate with the cashiers on the rate and they do the transfer there and then, it costs me 45AED everytime. Works a treat, i normally see the money arrive in my UK a/c around 2-3 days after.
Havnt experienced any problems so far.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey folks. been and now back. was offered a job;

15k AED p/Month - Basic Salary
2.5k AED p/Month - Car Allowance
"suitable" (to be clarified) housing provided in Abu Dhabi at companies expense
bonus 0-100k AED (Performance Related)
company medical insurance (unsure on details)
company pension (unsure on details)
flight home for myself and wife annually

company banks with HSBC, so they would organise the accounts.

am hoping to negotiate this upwards but doubt I'll get more than 10-15% on it. doing the maths, it complicates some debt we still have back here in the UK, so the wife would be remaining here in the UK for 6-9months until we can get out of our mortgage deal without penalty. not sure if the wife will get a transfer, and even if she could position would be in Dubai rather than Abu Dhabi (not overly happy with her commuting that distance!).

company refused point blank to house us in Dubai and let me commute, they reckoned it may insult the potential customers that I will be chasing (that Id rather be in Dubai than Abu Dhabi). so, more questions that I was hoping for clarification on;

1.) Suggestions on location within the Abu Dhabi emirate, that could be deemed suitable for commuting for both Dubai/Abu Dhabi
2.) Does a car loan "normally" work out cheaper than taking finance on a car? Read some nasty comments on the debt so would much rather purchase a cheaper 2nd hand car, or possibly take something on a short-midterm lease?
3.) I'd be looking to sent 8000 AED // £ 1,300.00 GBP p/month (min) per month back to the OK most business expenses would be paid by company pretty quickly (ie entertainment for customers), 7000 AED would be enough to feed myself on chicken kebabs, install decent speed broadband and insure the car?
4.) Been looking for online car dealerships in UAE to gauge prices, can't find many, does anyone have any they would suggest/reccommend?
5.) im presuming that our accommodation is going to be unfurnished. most of our stuff here in the UK was handed down or bought flat-pack so hardly worth shipping accross. I would intend to furnish it slowly in Abu Dhabi when funds allow, anyone suggest the best places to check for 2nd hand furniture, or cheap new stuff? i expect a small 2 bed apartment, anyone take an educated/experienced guess at what we would need to spend to start ourselves off - bearing in mind that if my wife is not joining me for 6-9 months, then there isn't any rush for me to buy more than a bed and a kettle to start with and spread the cost over first half 2010?

any and all help appreciated!!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
indeed - also how over priced stuff is in the shops.

The only things cheap here are nann breads and petrol.
I am just back from hols in france....I recall at one point 3 of us had a beer and a desert each for the grand total of 13 euro - 65ish dhs. Shi.ts all over dubai prices.

What would that cost here? 3 x 30 (beer) + 3 x 25 (treat) = 165 + 10% service charge
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:58 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

My guess is that Raha is the only place doable for AD - Dubai

I might be working off island AD next year so we are looking into Raha and Arabian Ranches as possibilities. I think I'd prefer to live in Dubai but I'm concerned about the commute even though I'd work off island and slightly north. Still around 100 kms each way.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Al Raha Gardens only has villas - expect to pay about Dhs 250,000 for one of the smaller ones (prices have recently increased by about 20%). Your best bet might be an apartment in Mohamed Bin Zayed City or Khalifa. I would really advise you to push the company on accomodation as there are some real dumps around that some companies expect people to live in. Also push for a furniture allowance - if they want you they will find the money. Try not to invest too much of your own money in UAE as it can be a very transient place. Can't comment on your basic salary as I'm not sure what you do. It would be unusual for a Company pension though so check that one out and don't let them sell you short on basic salary by promising bonus payments - they don't often materialise and don't count for end of service benefits which you are entitled to after 12 months employment in UAE.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for the advice. Company not budging on the offer at all, so I'm stuck with it. No furnishing allowance....

Rough costs for furnishing a 2 bed apartment second hand? (presuming it comes with white goods?)?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Thanks to all for the advice. Company not budging on the offer at all, so I'm stuck with it. No furnishing allowance....

Rough costs for furnishing a 2 bed apartment second hand? (presuming it comes with white goods?)?
Don't expect it to come with white goods.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - apartments with white goods in Abu Dhabi are not common and the ones that have them tend to be those that have very high prices. You can find second hand furniture and appliances - check out dubizzle for prices and look on Supermarket boards (eg Spinneys, Abelas etc) when you arrive. Another option may be a serviced apartment but you will need a good housing allowance to afford them - not sure of the latest prices but a friend of ours paid about Dhs. 20,000 a month for a very small 2 bed without facilities or parking on Muroor Road.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Formal offer received.

Monthly Basic: 16k AED
Car Allowance: 2k AED
Housing Allowance: 100k AED p/Annum (Employer to bear rental tax/agency fee plus security deposit)
Pension
"Hallesche" Medical

How far away from AD am I going to have to live to find something clean within budget?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:49 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

How far away from AD am I going to have to live to find something clean within budget?
Dubai
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Dubai
100k might even get you a villa on the Palm now ....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bugger. Was hoping it wasn't the case. Forgot about another question. I served a ban for Drink Driving a while ago, do you think this will hinder my visa application? or, if I don't mention it, are the likely to have the ability to check?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:49 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger. Was hoping it wasn't the case. Forgot about another question. I served a ban for Drink Driving a while ago, do you think this will hinder my visa application? or, if I don't mention it, are the likely to have the ability to check?
No but it will hinder your ability to drive a car if your ban is still on your license
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rowell
No but it will hinder your ability to drive a car if your ban is still on your license
ban is served, however will appear on my license as a conviction for next 9 years.

do i declare it or not (I have a counterpart from before ban was issued without it mentioned, and I also have the one that states the ban that they sent after I requested a replacement)