Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:24 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

What on earth are they thinking? A Lebanese TV presenter is sentenced to death for witchcraft.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091124/...c-3fd0ae9.html
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:35 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Originally Posted by lionheart
What on earth are they thinking? A Lebanese TV presenter is sentenced to death for witchcraft.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091124/...c-3fd0ae9.html
'A court in the city condemned him as a witch on November 9.' - Holy shit man, I mean this is why I will never go, the country is thousands of years behind civilization.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

So, no comments on what the weather will be like tomorrow than ? Crazy people!

N
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

What on earth are they thinking?
Therein lies the problem. No-one is really thinking. Barbarians.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:18 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

..well maybe he was a witch.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The mere fact that they must believe that witchcraft exists to have such a sentence demonstrates the utter stupidity of the situation.

I'm with Spugsy in that I would never go to such a primitive place. Despite that we have posters here that still think it's a lovely place to live.

-
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
I'm with Spugsy in that I would never go to such a primitive place.
I'm absolutely with you on that one. Could not pay me enough..
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The mere fact that they must believe that witchcraft exists to have such a sentence demonstrates the utter stupidity of the situation.

I'm with Spugsy in that I would never go to such a primitive place. Despite that we have posters here that still think it's a lovely place to live.

-
Well, Saudi per se is NOT a lovely place to live, but if look at it as a black bubble with pink lining, it is really fun.
You have to ignore the outside as much as you can and simply enjoy all the good that is offered on a silver patter.
Granted, that is not for everybody.

Many people look down on those who enjoy Saudi, because they think it is stupid to ignore all that is going on. I don't think so.....what difference does it make NOT to ignore it ?
WE can't reform those people, change has to come from the inside, IMHO

So, why not go , make money and take what is on offer?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Alexa but, despite your undoubted loyalty to the Saudi regime, I think you are batting on a very sticky wicket.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:04 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Alexa but, despite your undoubted loyalty to the Saudi regime, I think you are batting on a very sticky wicket.
No she's not.

UK has many extreme problems, many of which include extreme violence which is NOT punished appropriately, if at all. (OK not beheading, or flogging or hand chopping, but read the papers, theres lots of nasty stuff going on - regularly). UK citizens (obviously) still choose to live there.

I don't think Alexa is loyal to the Saudi regime, she just tries to put forward a viewpoint to explain why people still find it an OK place to live and work.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

The witchcraft act was only repealed in the UK in 1951.

When you have uneducated people who are brainwashed into believing in fairies then its not too much of a leap to believe in witchcraft,
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Naa, I don't care too much about the regime...although, King Abdullah has made steps, pretty big ones for Saudi, in the right direction. You see, there is a big divide in the house of Saud...and therefore the hardliners need to be appeased at times, otherwise they will have a coup and things will get even worse than they are. It is all very complicated and would take too much time and space to explain here. And by explaining I do not mean making excuses.

But as I said, to work and live for Western or westernized Expats it is not too bad of a place. If you don't mind living in a bubble , that is.
And I would not EVER live anywhere else than in a Western compound in Saudi.

Btw lionheart, did you know that King Abdullah has started the first co-ed university in Jeddah?
Now THAT is really big for Saudi.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benzonar
The witchcraft act was only repealed in the UK in 1951.

When you have uneducated people who are brainwashed into believing in fairies then its not too much of a leap to believe in witchcraft,
My maid swore on her life that witches and sorcerers exist .
In fact, she knew where to get jujus.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Orange jujus or grapefruit jujus?

Massachusetts was still convicting people of witchcraft in the early years of the 20th century.

By the way, surely witchcraft depends on the believer/non-believer as much as it depends on the purveyor.

And Alexa's right - you can't change things, but why not take the(ir) money and run............?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:45 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
my mate just got back from Oman with his Arab girlfriend and apparently black magic is really big over there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.