Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Hi Folks. First time poster, hoping anyone already living in Abu Dhabi can help.

I work in the shipping industry, have done for the last 10 years. Was contacted internally about a potential position in Abu Dhabi. I was asked my current package (here in the UK), and my expectations. I was pretty open and told them I would be happy with my current salary, given the tax situation out there, however advised I would be looking for a housing allowance // car, flights for me and my wife 1/p annum, and some sort of bonus. They didn't baulk at this, and agreed to fly us out for a look (next Thurs 24th). I'm pretty certain that we will have to discuss numbers, and unsure what to say. From this site and several others then it would appear that Abu Dhabi is pretty expensive in comparison to Dubai, however it is on a downward trend at the moment. My questions;

1.) is it feasible to live in Dubai and commute to Abu Dhabi?
2.) looking for a large 1 bedroom or small 2 bedroom apartment in an area that is 30mins from either AUH seaport or DXB airport, how much should we be looking to request as a housing allowance // or is it much better to push for them to supply an apartment for us?
3.) living sensibly, but not extragavantly, what sort of budget would provide normal food, eating out once per week at a TGI Fridays / La Tasca sort of quality restaurant, cinema once per week, DSL + Sat TV, what sort of amount would we be spending in a month for us both, ignoring the housing cost itself
4.) Car allowance, looking for a small 4x4 (Rav 4 / X3 style), what sort of rental price/length of contract am I gonna be looking at?
5.) Is it expensive/dangerous to drive/travel around in the UAE? We do love travel, and would like to explore around at the weekends, however only if it is safe to do it!
6.) What sort of price range is a gym membership at a local gym / hotel, and would it be safe/acceptable for a women to be there on her own?
7.) What sort of medical insurance do I need to be asking for? Is there an "expat standard"?

I'm thinking that before my employer is willing to fly me and the wife out for a look around and to discuss details rather than it being over the phone/email is a positive thing, but need to make sure that I am confident about the figures I put forward.

Really sorry for the war and peace posting!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Potential Job Offer - Abu Dhabi

Hi, Abu Dhabi is an expensive place to live now, but it also depends on what you are used to. If you live in London for example (I guess not though as you are in shipping!) it wouldn't come as too much of a shock. Most of the expenditure is due to housing so if you can get a decent allowance (and preferably your company to pay the water & electricity) you're half way there.
1. Yes it's feasible but it would grind you down pretty quick and have a detrimental effect on your life expectancy - driving standards here are 'variable' to say the least. Personally I wouldn't do it.
2. Prices have come down but seem to be stabilising - if you get Dhs250k per year you should be fine.
3. I'm not the one to ask as I don't live very sensibly but I would say Dhs20k a month should see you fine.
4. Don't know.
5. Driving as mentioned above, apart from that it's fine - lots of fun to be had on camping weekends and the like in the UAE, near to lots of other countries if you want to go further afield.
6. Don't know price, but perfectly acceptable for your wife.
7. It's fairly standard here so you should be fine. Most companies cover everything except dental. Some will give you world coverage.
I should think coming with your new company is a bonus as you know what they're like - presumably not cowboys - and there's a bit of a safety network in that. See what you think after the 24th!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Hi Folks. First time poster, hoping anyone already living in Abu Dhabi can help.

I work in the shipping industry, have done for the last 10 years. Was contacted internally about a potential position in Abu Dhabi. I was asked my current package (here in the UK), and my expectations. I was pretty open and told them I would be happy with my current salary, given the tax situation out there, however advised I would be looking for a housing allowance // car, flights for me and my wife 1/p annum, and some sort of bonus. They didn't baulk at this, and agreed to fly us out for a look (next Thurs 24th). I'm pretty certain that we will have to discuss numbers, and unsure what to say. From this site and several others then it would appear that Abu Dhabi is pretty expensive in comparison to Dubai, however it is on a downward trend at the moment. My questions;

2.) looking for a large 1 bedroom or small 2 bedroom apartment in an area that is 30mins from either AUH seaport or DXB airport, how much should we be looking to request as a housing allowance // or is it much better to push for them to supply an apartment for us?
3.) living sensibly, but not extragavantly, what sort of budget would provide normal food, eating out once per week at a TGI Fridays / La Tasca sort of quality restaurant, cinema once per week, DSL + Sat TV, what sort of amount would we be spending in a month for us both, ignoring the housing cost itself
4.) Car allowance, looking for a small 4x4 (Rav 4 / X3 style), what sort of rental price/length of contract am I gonna be looking at?
5.) Is it expensive/dangerous to drive/travel around in the UAE? We do love travel, and would like to explore around at the weekends, however only if it is safe to do it!
6.) What sort of price range is a gym membership at a local gym / hotel, and would it be safe/acceptable for a women to be there on her own?
7.) What sort of medical insurance do I need to be asking for? Is there an "expat standard"?

I'm thinking that before my employer is willing to fly me and the wife out for a look around and to discuss details rather than it being over the phone/email is a positive thing, but need to make sure that I am confident about the figures I put forward.

Try and get your money as 'salary' and not salary + allowances. Your end of service benefits are calculated on salary not salary + allowances. Take money - you can then have a choice what you do with it.

To take your answers in turn:

1) No - you will die young.

2) 180-200k Dh

3) 2Mb DSL is 350Dh a month, TGI meal for two (no alcohol) is c.150Dh, add a couple of pints (and for that you have to go to a hotel) and the bill will go to 300Dh. I think we spend around 700Dh / week on food for 3 people before meals out.

4) I have a 100k Dh car on a 6 year loan and pay 1600Dh / month, leasing works out a bit more (but you don't do maintenance etc). A friend pays 2900Dh for a golf GTI on a 1 year lease (which I think is too high)

5) Not dangerous (apart from the low driving standards) and fuel is as cheap as chips. (6Dh a gallon)

6) Missues pays 3500Dh /year (I think) at AD Heath Club. It's 7000Dh for a man, or 7500Dh for a couple. (crazy I know)

7) Daman International policy + Dental

Also,

Utility bills: Leccy & water total 250Dh a month (I'm in a flat so my AC is free). In a villa with paid for A/C that bill could be 1500Dh a month

Water: I spend c.200Dh a month on bottled drinking water (most don't drink the supply)
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:45 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
3. I'm not the one to ask as I don't live very sensibly but I would say Dhs20k a month should see you fine.
!
you spend 20,000AED per month on eating out etc...christ you must be the size of a house
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:47 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983

get your company to include international healthcare policy...

get your company to provide a villla/apartment or give you an allowance.

get your company to pay all utilities; gas, elec, phone, internet

get your ocmpany to provide you with a car, buy one for the missus
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

you spend 20,000AED per month on eating out etc...christ you must be the size of a house
Not quite! Read the question again - it's general living costs for a month.
Does your company pay for all your phone bills and internet too?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info. my initial thought of the wife not having to work probably wont be good enough, gonna have to find her a job aswell!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Not always easy - what does she do?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:32 am
banned

Not quite! Read the question again - it's general living costs for a month.
Does your company pay for all your phone bills and internet too?
i know, i was only kidding, still 20,000AED is pretty high for living costs..

yea my company look after that side of it
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

i know, i was only kidding, still 20,000AED is pretty high for living costs..
yeah, you're probably right, like I said, I'm not the best person to ask on that score. Money and me seem to repel like magnetic north and south or something.

yea my company look after that side of it
what even if you chat all day to someone in Scotland they pick up the bill? That is what I call generous!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Not always easy - what does she do?
She also works in shipping/logistics, so a freight forwarder come logistics co-ordinator function would be ideal. There would be the possibility of her taking a job in the Dubai office, however that would mean one (or both) of us commuting.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

She also works in shipping/logistics, so a freight forwarder come logistics co-ordinator function would be ideal. There would be the possibility of her taking a job in the Dubai office, however that would mean one (or both) of us commuting.
This really would be a pain in the proverbial. You'd be working at Sheik Zayed Port presumably which is as far from Dubai you can get in AD. Where would she be working?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

if it all went well, Id be likely to be based in Al Falah Street, Abu Dhabi, but unlikely to be allowed to employ my wife there with me, she would either be at Airport Road, Dubai or the Jebel Ali Free zone if she was to join my employer.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Well Jebel Ali is closest to AD so that isn't too bad. Falah street is kind of the edge of town so not the worst case senario. If you lived in Jebel Ali (cheaper housing than AD) you'd be looking at an hour's commute each way minimum (I think - anyone know for sure?) which I know by UK standards sounds fine but make sure you've got good life insurance first. Bottom line - it's not ideal but it's do-able.
Or I suppose you could live on the outskirts of AD, say near the airport, and you'd both have a 45 mins-ish commute (again - guestimate - someone else may be able to let you know for sure). Again - not ideal but do-able.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:16 am
banned

what even if you chat all day to someone in Scotland they pick up the bill? That is what I call generous!
we simply dont take the piss, it is when people jump on the bandwagon and do as you suggest that they will revoke. however so far,so good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.