British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Possible move to Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/possible-move-doha-773330/)

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 9:00 am

Re: Possible move to Doha

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10321159)
No not had a visit just going to take the bull by the horns so to say and go for it.
you`ll be fine i am positive.

I did the same with Dubai. I cried for the first 3 weeks :D but then I was staying in a dump in Bur Dubai, had no booze and was afraid to walk outside the door!

Theseus Oct 9th 2012 9:00 am

I didnt visit either i just hopped on a plane and went for it. I met a few people (a couple through this site) and made some great friends. Had some interesting Doha moments with renting/driving licences/visas etc, but all in all its been great. I'm happy where I am in west bay. I can ring up for a taxi to go anywhere else i want, or drive.

Happy to meet up when you get here. x

Crewegirl Oct 9th 2012 9:09 am

fizzybear there will be no tears from you just happy times ahead hun. it`ll be fine. x
Theseus i will see you soon x

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10321185)
fizzybear there will be no tears from you just happy times ahead hun. it`ll be fine. x
Theseus i will see you soon x

Yeah, not too worried about this move. The good part is I get to take some time out of work. The bad part is I have to do my own laundry :D

MaserMan Oct 9th 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzy_Bear (Post 10321220)
Yeah, not too worried about this move. The good part is I get to take some time out of work. The bad part is I have to do my own laundry :D

Get a maid :D

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by MaserMan (Post 10321468)
Get a maid :D

Sssssh ... I only wrote that for my husband's benefit :D

Crewegirl Oct 10th 2012 8:01 am

Oh my its all go here..... had a phone call last night saying early November. so much to do. not slept all night. list of things to do but dont know where to start.

OleJanx Oct 10th 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10323072)
Oh my its all go here..... had a phone call last night saying early November. so much to do. not slept all night. list of things to do but dont know where to start.

Doesn't matter where you start. It's where you finish....:)

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 10th 2012 11:12 am

Make a long bastard list of shit you need to do before leaving.

Mine was epic but a few afternoons of working at it soon brings it down.

Selling my car was a head ache but you just have to sort that shit and get on a plane. Job DONE.

Aunaturel1 Oct 11th 2012 2:41 am

You'll be fine, I was in the same boat on my own though, as hubby was already here. That was mega stressful, especially as I was doing a handover at work also, but we all get there. Look forward to meeting you. X

Crewegirl Oct 11th 2012 7:34 am

look forward to meeting you too x

Debowing Oct 11th 2012 8:56 am

Imoved from RAK (UAE) to Doha in 06. Lived there till 07 and returned to work in Dubai (UAE).

Unless there is a substantial increase in the earnings in the new posting in Doha I would say that yes the world does end in Ghantoot... It is very hard to adjust to the life in Doha after living in Dubai...Imagine, that I was missing RAK when I moved to Doha...Doha is not at all better for families than Dubai, in fact Doha is better for bachelors, why subject your children to life in Doha?

I moved there because I was getting 45% more than my previous job and I did all that I could do to finally get transferred to Dubai. On the short flight from Doha to Dubai on 08 OCT 2007 I wanted to kiss the ground once arrived in Dubai, but I didn't do it because it looks ridiculous, but really that is how I felt...My boss in Doha remarked that 'he is going to Paris.'..(Dubai)

I am not saying Dubai is heaven, but compared to Doha....

Fizzy_Bear Oct 13th 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Debowing (Post 10325140)
Imoved from RAK (UAE) to Doha in 06. Lived there till 07 and returned to work in Dubai (UAE).

Unless there is a substantial increase in the earnings in the new posting in Doha I would say that yes the world does end in Ghantoot... It is very hard to adjust to the life in Doha after living in Dubai...Imagine, that I was missing RAK when I moved to Doha...Doha is not at all better for families than Dubai, in fact Doha is better for bachelors, why subject your children to life in Doha?

I moved there because I was getting 45% more than my previous job and I did all that I could do to finally get transferred to Dubai. On the short flight from Doha to Dubai on 08 OCT 2007 I wanted to kiss the ground once arrived in Dubai, but I didn't do it because it looks ridiculous, but really that is how I felt...My boss in Doha remarked that 'he is going to Paris.'..(Dubai)

I am not saying Dubai is heaven, but compared to Doha....

I have to say that a few days after coming back from Doha, I started to evaluate the impact of such a move. We were actually talking about this all weekend and I will now probably stay here and he would fly home every weekend. He has projects that he is working on here as well so he will be in and out of Dubai so sometimes he can take a long weekend as well. We will try it for 6-12 months and then see how it goes.

He was on a flight out of Doha on Thursday night and he said it was just full of everyone returning to Dubai for the weekend. He is happier to work there mid week and then get back to Dubai for some fun at the weekends.

Dubai is definitely heaven compared to Doha :D

Crewegirl Oct 14th 2012 1:35 pm

Oh no are you not going now??
Life is what you make it hun take the bull be the horns. x

co durham boy Oct 14th 2012 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzy_Bear (Post 10328488)
I have to say that a few days after coming back from Doha, I started to evaluate the impact of such a move. We were actually talking about this all weekend and I will now probably stay here and he would fly home every weekend. He has projects that he is working on here as well so he will be in and out of Dubai so sometimes he can take a long weekend as well. We will try it for 6-12 months and then see how it goes.

He was on a flight out of Doha on Thursday night and he said it was just full of everyone returning to Dubai for the weekend. He is happier to work there mid week and then get back to Dubai for some fun at the weekends.

Dubai is definitely heaven compared to Doha :D

Visa issues ?