British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Possible move to Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/possible-move-doha-773330/)

Alexa Oct 20th 2012 8:05 am

Re: Possible move to Doha

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10340303)
Norway. Salaries are decent, my job security is beyond belief. Who'd have thought I could live so close to the UK and still earn mega bucks and enjoy life? :rofl: Oh, and 7 weeks of holiday a year when I cash in my flexi time, and should the woman get pregnant, I get a ton of spare time to raise little junior paracletus if I want to. It is a bit of a hole as well, quite provincial, alot of ignroant people and alot of xenophobia, but I can't find time to complain..though I am critical of certain things, I feel its no need to voice such grievances in public. That was what caused me to leave Bahrain in the first place, when I found myself complaining more about my living situation than praising it.

I've lived in some dodgy places in my life, I've had my cup of the unknown for breakfast, I found Africa much more exciting on a day to day basis than the ME. Nothing like a lynching for lunch whilst having a round of golf and such. Life never felt as cheap and cherished at the same time.

Ah Scandinavia, yes, I know what you are talking about, I have lived in Sweden. The only thing that stops me from wanting to go there is the weather. I really do not like winter.
But, I have been giving relocation serious thought. And maybe we will have the guts to tackle it...responsibilities can be a serious brake. And we are still waiting for the offer with mega bucks in a nice place ;)

Paracletus Oct 20th 2012 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10340313)
Ah Scandinavia, yes, I know what you are talking about, I have lived in Sweden. The only thing that stops me from wanting to go there is the weather. I really do not like winter.
But, I have been giving relocation serious thought. And maybe we will have the guts to tackle it...responsibilities can be a serious brake. And we are still waiting for the offer with mega bucks in a nice place ;)

Well, with the official unemployment figure at less than 3%, 1 in 10 is a millionaire in the local currency, decent economic outlook, construction is booming (my industry), They are screaming for engineers in the OG sector, I can pretend I am a rich arab at work without being one and still get paid, I can't fault it. I quite like winters..speaking of which..is knocking on the door as we speak. I almost ended up in the dominican republic recently, it wasn't the money, but rather the allure of a decent career move living on the beach combined that got us. I'd happily give up the cold, but you can't beat a white xmas.

Also, scandinavians seem to be quite fond of..well..how shall one say it..comfort time in the hot tub with their friends? You won't believe it till you've seen it. We have thus far declined and avoid visiting anyone we know with hot tubs.

Alexa Oct 20th 2012 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10340323)
Well, with the official unemployment figure at less than 3%, 1 in 10 is a millionaire in the local currency, decent economic outlook, construction is booming (my industry), They are screaming for engineers in the OG sector, I can pretend I am a rich arab at work without being one and still get paid, I can't fault it. I quite like winters..speaking of which..is knocking on the door as we speak. I almost ended up in the dominican republic recently, it wasn't the money, but rather the allure of a decent career move living on the beach combined that got us. I'd happily give up the cold, but you can't beat a white xmas.

Also, scandinavians seem to be quite fond of..well..how shall one say it..comfort time in the hot tub with their friends? You won't believe it till you've seen it. We have thus far declined and avoid visiting anyone we know with hot tubs.

Rofl...hot tubs??? Well, in Sweden it's the sauna and the twigs.....:rofl:

Team UK Oct 20th 2012 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10340323)

Where in Norway are you living? Ive just moved to Doha from Oslo.

Kix Oct 20th 2012 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10340330)
Rofl...hot tubs??? Well, in Sweden it's the sauna and the twigs.....:rofl:

So what you're saying is I need to order a bale of fresh yew twigs to be imported each month.

Can't wait, it's just not the same being beaten with a ghaf twig.

Paracletus Oct 20th 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Team UK (Post 10340369)
Where in Norway are you living? Ive just moved to Doha from Oslo.

Oslo. How long did you live here for? I've been here pretty much a year to date. Having toured a little, can't say life outside of the city appeals to me much.

Paracletus Oct 20th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10340392)
So what you're saying is I need to order a bale of fresh yew twigs to be imported each month.

Can't wait, it's just not the same being beaten with a ghaf twig.

A certain finnish company I know actually has shipping containers fitted out with a sauna they ship to whatever location they send staff..

Team UK Oct 21st 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10340399)
Oslo. How long did you live here for? I've been here pretty much a year to date. Having toured a little, can't say life outside of the city appeals to me much.

Ive lived there for a total of 7 years. Anything you need to know just ask and ill try to help. I miss the place already. Still have my apartment over there so hopefully will be heading back in a year or two.

britexpat76 Oct 21st 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Team UK (Post 10341588)
Ive lived there for a total of 7 years. Anything you need to know just ask and ill try to help. I miss the place already. Still have my apartment over there so hopefully will be heading back in a year or two.

I love Olso. I spent 2 new years eves in the Radisson drinking Champagne in the top floor bar overlooking the Fjord and fireworks going off. Amazing.

I drank champagne as it worked out cheaper than drinking the 10 euro beers not because I was acting a twat. There was some seriously fit women there too.

dubaiguy2011 Oct 21st 2012 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10341649)
I drank champagne as it worked out I was acting a twat. There was some seriously fit women there too but I didn't get a sniff.

:rofl: sorry mate, couldn't resist :thumbsup:

britexpat76 Oct 21st 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011 (Post 10342060)
:rofl: sorry mate, couldn't resist :thumbsup:

You never resist anything to be fair......