Reload this Page >

Possible move to Doha

Possible move to Doha

Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Fizzy_Bear is on a distinguished road
Default Possible move to Doha

Hi folks,

I was researching expat life in Doha and found an old thread on here dated 2008 which talked about how awful life in Doha is. It looks like there are quite a few members here living in Doha. It is still as bad as it was in 2008??? I take it that the place has changed quite a bit?

I live in Dubai and I am pretty settled, however hubby has been relocated to Qatar and I have to weigh up if me and the kids will join him or if he will just fly back every weekend. For those with families there, how do you find life? What sort of things do you for entertainment on weekends? Our kids are 2 years old and 3 months old.

Is it true that you cannot employ a live in maid until you have been living in the country for 6 months? What are the alternatives available in the meantime? I will not work initially but would probably want to find a job after a few months and as much as I love my children, I do need a break from them at times! And how could I possibly escape for a brunch without a maid!

Any recommendations for good estate agents? I have seen a few properties that look ok on Dubizzle but would love a personal recommendation if possible. Hubby works in West Bay. Apart from looking around the West Bay area, any other recommendations? Is Al Waab too far to commute? I am not familiar with areas at all.

Is it true that I cannot bring in Duty Free alcohol to Qatar? Don’t want to land myself in trouble on arrival!

I am planning a trip out there this week. Anything in particular that you would recommend I check out?

Thank you!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Doha

Doha is what you make of it like many of the places in the Gulf except for Dubai which for all intents and purposes is western and in some ways is an antithesis of the true nature of living out here.

Don't go near estate agents as what they offer is nothing you can't do yourself for free. No point talking about this is a good compound etc as things are very fluid and you will have to wait until you arrive, unless your husband is getting company accommodation. Around West Bay some very nice properties but they are grossly over priced.

I know there are some restrictions around having a maid, as well as what nationality you can employ.

No alcohol allowed into Qatar although you can legally buy it once you are here.

From the number of people I have known who have lived in Dubai and nowhere else in the Gulf, anywhere else will be a disappointment, but on the plus side it's not that far for a holiday.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fizzy_Bear
Hi folks,

I was researching expat life in Doha and found an old thread on here dated 2008 which talked about how awful life in Doha is. It looks like there are quite a few members here living in Doha. It is still as bad as it was in 2008??? I take it that the place has changed quite a bit?

I live in Dubai and I am pretty settled, however hubby has been relocated to Qatar and I have to weigh up if me and the kids will join him or if he will just fly back every weekend. For those with families there, how do you find life? What sort of things do you for entertainment on weekends? Our kids are 2 years old and 3 months old.

Is it true that you cannot employ a live in maid until you have been living in the country for 6 months? What are the alternatives available in the meantime? I will not work initially but would probably want to find a job after a few months and as much as I love my children, I do need a break from them at times! And how could I possibly escape for a brunch without a maid!

Any recommendations for good estate agents? I have seen a few properties that look ok on Dubizzle but would love a personal recommendation if possible. Hubby works in West Bay. Apart from looking around the West Bay area, any other recommendations? Is Al Waab too far to commute? I am not familiar with areas at all.

Is it true that I cannot bring in Duty Free alcohol to Qatar? Don’t want to land myself in trouble on arrival!

I am planning a trip out there this week. Anything in particular that you would recommend I check out?

Thank you!
Doha is great for families , take yourself from your DXB bubble and have a go . The world doesn't end at Ghantoot
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fizzy_Bear
Is it true that you cannot employ a live in maid until you have been living in the country for 6 months? What are the alternatives available in the meantime?
No idea if this is true or not - however, and I know that this is incomprehensible, but as I understand it, those without live in maids have to load the washing machine and pick up the socks themselves. ****ing unbelievable I know, but apparently that's how it works out there in the real world.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No idea if this is true or not - however, and I know that this is incomprehensible, but as I understand it, those without live in maids have to load the washing machine and pick up the socks themselves. ****ing unbelievable I know, but apparently that's how it works out there in the real world.
I ironed a shirt last night.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

No way!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I ironed a shirt last night.
With a brick ?
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Doha is great for families , take yourself from your DXB bubble and have a go . The world doesn't end at Ghantoot
Yes, everyone says it is great for families which is something we will look forward to as both of us have worked our butts off here in Dubai.

Ghantoot ... where on earth is that?
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

This is one reason why I don't wear socks! and if my husband does not learn to pick up his own socks, then they can just stay on the floor.

What's this washing machine thing you talk about??

I actually like cleaning ... I find it oddly theraputic. Having a live in maid is much better for the children rather than a different maid from an agency everytime I need one. I've lived for years without one, but with kids now and working full time, it is a necessity for me.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MaserMan
Doha is what you make of it like many of the places in the Gulf except for Dubai which for all intents and purposes is western and in some ways is an antithesis of the true nature of living out here.

Don't go near estate agents as what they offer is nothing you can't do yourself for free. No point talking about this is a good compound etc as things are very fluid and you will have to wait until you arrive, unless your husband is getting company accommodation. Around West Bay some very nice properties but they are grossly over priced.

I know there are some restrictions around having a maid, as well as what nationality you can employ.

No alcohol allowed into Qatar although you can legally buy it once you are here.

From the number of people I have known who have lived in Dubai and nowhere else in the Gulf, anywhere else will be a disappointment, but on the plus side it's not that far for a holiday.
Thanks for all the useful info. Yes, from what I hear, Estate Agents are a waste of time and best to drive around yourself. I will be out at the weekend and we will take a drive around to check out areas etc but do want to be as close as possible to West Bay due to traffic. Husband's salary is all inclusive so we have to find the accommodation ourselves.

I have not visited Doha for quite a few years, so I am looking forward to checking it out.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

With a brick ?
I've used the term quite loosely there.

I asked my Mrs to iron it for me.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Durham, usually I agree with you. Not on this one though. Great for families? How?
A. Not enough school places
B. Schools, IF you get a space are horribly overpriced for what they deliver
C. What are the activities geared for families here? The parks? Errmm.....what else is there???
D. What I said for schools is the same for nurseries
E. Driving is HORRIBLE here. You have kids in your car, even worse.

What IS here is Qatar that makes it great for families?

I think this place is much better for people without kids.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alexa
Durham, usually I agree with you. Not on this one though. Great for families? How?
A. Not enough school places
B. Schools, IF you get a space are horribly overpriced for what they deliver
C. What are the activities geared for families here? The parks? Errmm.....what else is there???
D. What I said for schools is the same for nurseries
E. Driving is HORRIBLE here. You have kids in your car, even worse.

What IS here is Qatar that makes it great for families?

I think this place is much better for people without kids.
If it was that bad you wouldn't be there....surely?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
If it was that bad you wouldn't be there....surely?
Yes, I would be there (in fact, I am) despite that.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alexa
Yes, I would be there (in fact, I am) despite that.
So it can't be that bad then?

It can't be life threatening to your kids to be there, or you wouldn't be there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.