British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Possible move to Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/possible-move-doha-773330/)

OleJanx Oct 5th 2012 9:40 am

Re: Possible move to Doha

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10314628)
Oh i`m coming and am so so excited. living in a compound with a pool and gym and other facilities and many many new friends to meet.....now theres a life we never have in UK. a pool? a gym? beach,sun, oh i am most definately coming out there.
Life here is getting harder because people just dont have funds or are to scared to spend and companies are closing all the time. add that to the shocking weather we are having......Flight for Paul and Claire.
Life is what you make it and we only get one chance to live.

You've got the right mental outlook to make it work! Go for it . Good or bad, you'll never regret it:thumbsup:

Fizzy_Bear Oct 7th 2012 8:55 pm

So how do people occupy themselves out here? What would be your typical weekend?

I have been here for a few days now on a visit and my main concern would be what would we do as a family at weekends and would we get bored very quickly?

Apart from nurseries, are there any kids clubs?

Crewegirl - where will you be living? A move from the UK to the ME will be great. Sadly I have been spoilt with life in Dubai where there is never a dull moment!

Crewegirl Oct 8th 2012 10:18 am

fizzybear....i have no idea where we will live just going to take the advice of others and stay in a serviced apartment until we get to know the area and then travel round looking. ive had some fab advice and for once in my life will take it.
are you moving over to Doha then? when? let me know how you get on.

OleJanx Oct 8th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10319430)
fizzybear....i have no idea where we will live just going to take the advice of others and stay in a serviced apartment until we get to know the area and then travel round looking. ive had some fab advice and for once in my life will take it.

Oh, look! Somebody actually paid attention to advice given on here! That's very unusual.:thumbup:

co durham boy Oct 9th 2012 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Fizzy_Bear (Post 10318606)
So how do people occupy themselves out here? What would be your typical weekend?

I have been here for a few days now on a visit and my main concern would be what would we do as a family at weekends and would we get bored very quickly?

Apart from nurseries, are there any kids clubs?

Crewegirl - where will you be living? A move from the UK to the ME will be great. Sadly I have been spoilt with life in Dubai where there is never a dull moment!

Get yourself on a good compound and you'll find a lot happening within that circle.

You've got to go out and find it in Qatar and you'll have varying degrees of success , somethings are good , some are shite and some are terrible .

Stick your nose out of your door in DXB and there's something going on , stick your nose out of the door in Doha and a Landcruisers wing mirror will probably take it off ;)

I have a good circle of friends but i also travel a lot as you can only do so much here in Doha.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 9th 2012 7:46 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10321002)
Get yourself on a good compound and you'll find a lot happening within that circle.

Loads of keys in a big bowl?

co durham boy Oct 9th 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10321039)
Loads of keys in a big bowl?

There's a lot of that here mate , it's the fu**ing boredom.....

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 9th 2012 7:57 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10321041)
There's a lot of that here mate , it's the fu**ing boredom.....

I dread to think

Theseus Oct 9th 2012 7:59 am

I need to get out of doha over the eid weekend (visa run - don't know where to go and don't want to spend any money lol any ideas?

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10319430)

I will probably move over around mid to end December. My husband has started working there since 1 October. He has worked out there on several projects over the years so knows it quite well but trying to decide where to live is hard.

Good idea re the serviced apartment. I have all my furniture to move from Dubai so I need to get in to an unfurnished place. There are lots of good serviced apartments. My husband has stayed at Fraser Suites a few times and recommends that. Avoid Ezdan suites - poor value for money.

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10321053)
I need to get out of doha over the eid weekend (visa run - don't know where to go and don't want to spend any money lol any ideas?

Dubai! Shop til your hearts content :)

Crewegirl Oct 9th 2012 8:39 am

Think it is now going to be December 1st...we are coming out together because sold the house in the uk. all our furniture will be shipped over and stored i guess until visas sorted so we can get on a compound.
Really scared,excited oh so many emotions all rolled into one. will be calling on you theseus and fizzybear for meet ups if thats ok.

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 8:42 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10321002)

You've got to go out and find it in Qatar and you'll have varying degrees of success , somethings are good , some are shite and some are terrible .

Stick your nose out of your door in DXB and there's something going on , stick your nose out of the door in Doha and a Landcruisers wing mirror will probably take it off ;)

I have a good circle of friends but i also travel a lot as you can only do so much here in Doha.

Thanks, where would you class as a good compound? I visited Golf Gardens which I liked but then the next day found out that some company will take all the villas there. I heard Al Jazzi is good but they don't come free very often.

I looked at an apartment in West Bay which we really liked and it is spitting distance to my husband's office. We also looked at apartments on the Pearl which are lovely but have small bedrooms. Ok for kids but the master bedroom could just about fit a bed. We may well consider an apartment for the first year until we know where the kids will go to school and this way we would have ample time to find a villa on the right compound.

Can't wait to experience the driving there! I got back to Dubai and it felt strangely calm on SZR!!

Fizzy_Bear Oct 9th 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Crewegirl (Post 10321128)
Think it is now going to be December 1st...we are coming out together because sold the house in the uk. all our furniture will be shipped over and stored i guess until visas sorted so we can get on a compound.
Really scared,excited oh so many emotions all rolled into one. will be calling on you theseus and fizzybear for meet ups if thats ok.

Cool! Have you been for a visit before?

I know how you feel. I moved to Dubai 7 years ago and it seemed pretty daunting. Hopefully from this site you will build up a little network before you get there, so that will be arrival drinks sorted!

I don't know anyone in Doha so will be sad to leave Dubai but it is only a short hop away when I want to pop back to visit. People do seem friendlier in Doha.

Crewegirl Oct 9th 2012 8:55 am

No not had a visit just going to take the bull by the horns so to say and go for it.
you`ll be fine i am positive.