Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:44 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

Originally Posted by W10
Because they are revolting?

Parts of M&S food store are worth exploring (but if you can get to a deli why bother) but their clothes and home stuff is the stuff of nightmares. There attempts at getting 'cool' with their designer Autograph ranges were appalling.

I thought M&S only had about 10% of the UK market.
10% of which market? Clothes, food, homewares...

Sales have increased considerably in recent years and they have become quite good for basics. Well-priced T-shirts etc. Underwear ranges are quite good too. Doesn't every woman have some M&S undies?

Whatever makes you think no-one shops there? You are rather out of touch I'm afraid.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:51 pm
W10

Sales are rising that is true, because the management finally decided to make it relevant to the people.

But over a 10 year cycle, its market share is way, way, way down.

And as I said - my personal opinion (I went into M&S in High St Ken last month) is that the clothes are still awful, the food store is ok (with some things excellent) and the home stuff is just about passable.

It is NOT the stuff of legend. I will not get excited about M&S opening here. I doubt I will ever set foot in that store unless I happen to be next door. That is why I was wondering why it seems to have this feted air about it.

Are people that short of British brands here that they get excited about a middle of the road store which for years was propped up by its overseas stores while it lost millions back in the UK?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:54 pm
W10

Iconic British brands tend not to translate very well to this environment either (Harvey Nicks step blandly forward please)

How is their fresh food going to be any different to anything else on offer? How is their bakery going to offer something amazing?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:39 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

I went to check out their new store today and wasn't that impressed. Nice shopping area and lots of space, but there didn't seem to have much more stock than the other two M&S stores already here, just spaced out a lot more. The childrens range was OK, but very disappointed in the Food Court, nothing more than the usual suspects and a very overpriced sandwich bar. The bakery looked great though, but could stock more choices of bread.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:57 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

M&S why the excitment?
Womans underwear, work shirts/ blouses and mens socks yeh ok I'll buy that...but the food, come on its overpriced junk in the UK and here its just ridiculous.
£5 plus for four frozen pieces of breaded fish???
Why?
just go buy some fresh fish and bread it yourself, cheaper, fresher, healthier and infinately tastier
Peppers flown 6000 miles cos there brightly coloured and the right shape??? local ones taste better and are fresher!
Jars of sauce that taste like crap for a couple of quid when you can buy the ingredients for pennies make it yourself and again it will taste better, be better for you and take no longer to cook.
A friend in the food industry once told me it cost them 17 pence to make a jar of pasta tomato sauce, why on earth would you spend several pounds to buy it???
WHY? o why are people so keen/obsessed by the M&S food court.....its a shitty tasting rip off. I can think of no single reason why people would shop in it here or the UK
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:14 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Parts of M&S food store are worth exploring (but if you can get to a deli why bother)
There speaks Notting Hill Boy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:48 pm
W10

True - I do miss Speck in Holland Park, but there is a reason to miss it.

Carrefour's deli and fruit/veg is better than anything you'd get in M&S

Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:57 pm
W10

Originally Posted by shiva
M&S why the excitment?
work shirts/ blouses
Of course, you can get them better made - and half the price in Satwa.

I also know someone in the UK who was one of the suppliers for Next and M&S suits...so I also know how much they wholesale at.

Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:35 pm
Banned

Austin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to all

M&S why the excitment?
Womans underwear, work shirts/ blouses and mens socks yeh ok I'll buy that...but the food, come on its overpriced junk in the UK and here its just ridiculous.
£5 plus for four frozen pieces of breaded fish???
Why?
just go buy some fresh fish and bread it yourself, cheaper, fresher, healthier and infinately tastier
Peppers flown 6000 miles cos there brightly coloured and the right shape??? local ones taste better and are fresher!
Jars of sauce that taste like crap for a couple of quid when you can buy the ingredients for pennies make it yourself and again it will taste better, be better for you and take no longer to cook.
A friend in the food industry once told me it cost them 17 pence to make a jar of pasta tomato sauce, why on earth would you spend several pounds to buy it???
WHY? o why are people so keen/obsessed by the M&S food court.....its a shitty tasting rip off. I can think of no single reason why people would shop in it here or the UK
So i guess your statement than Shiva you aren't that keen on M & S then
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:27 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Of course, you can get them better made - and half the price in Satwa.

I also know someone in the UK who was one of the suppliers for Next and M&S suits...so I also know how much they wholesale at.
Granted, it is weird though how we have acess to cheap tailoring and very few people use it, myself included.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:36 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Austin Marley
So i guess your statement than Shiva you aren't that keen on M & S then
Not as such, I have just never understood the draw of a crappy food court and its religious following. Its a pet hate of mine.
Then again I am a food nazi so any kind of overpriced shite food winds me up. Its why i find most restaurants frustrating. I figure that if i can cook it better or source better produce and since im not a proffesional chef or food supplier, then whoever cooked or supplied the afore mentioned crap should be shot against the nearest available wall.

Whilst I'm ranting, I find the whole food court malarky very similar to people who shop in Spinneys and buy the imported veg at twice the price when its weeks old and tastes of nothing, when you can buy the locally grown fruit and veg which is superb.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:19 pm
Banned

juanjohnsilver is an unknown quantity at this point

Not as such, I have just never understood the draw of a crappy food court and its religious following. Its a pet hate of mine.
Then again I am a food nazi so any kind of overpriced shite food winds me up. Its why i find most restaurants frustrating. I figure that if i can cook it better or source better produce and since im not a proffesional chef or food supplier, then whoever cooked or supplied the afore mentioned crap should be shot against the nearest available wall.

Whilst I'm ranting, I find the whole food court malarky very similar to people who shop in Spinneys and buy the imported veg at twice the price when its weeks old and tastes of nothing, when you can buy the locally grown fruit and veg which is superb.
Just moved here and i am sad to say i miss M & S, the sarnies anyhow, yes i am a sad bastard too
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

OK just returned from M&S - actually dropped in on our way back after some grocery shopping in HPanda.

The clothes are simply ghastly - karama type stuff but at four times the price. I'm in need of some smart office wear .......will have to try Zara tomorrow.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:46 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
OK just returned from M&S - actually dropped in on our way back after some grocery shopping in HPanda.

The clothes are simply ghastly - karama type stuff but at four times the price. I'm in need of some smart office wear .......will have to try Zara tomorrow.
lol...just came home from M&S myself....how boring can a shop be...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
how boring can a shop be...
Exactly - I was hoping they had some nice stuff. But the clothes looked really ancient. The car park was great though - brightly lit and EMPTY (now that is no wonder is it? )

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 16th 2007 at 6:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.