Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:57 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

A little bird told me it's opening tomorrow.

Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:08 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marks and Spencers, Vegetable City

Originally Posted by littlejimmy

Is that the one at the fruit and veg market
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:53 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
10am! Hoping they have a great food court selling fresh food. Will probably be a big let-down after all the hype though!! Although they are advertising it as the biggest M&S outside the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:26 am
Banned

Austin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to allAustin Marley is a name known to all

Well did it open today, can't get over there as have stuff to do in mornings. If so what is it like, any better than the one at Wafi?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Austin Marley
Well did it open today, can't get over there as have stuff to do in mornings. If so what is it like, any better than the one at Wafi?

Apparently it is supposed to be quite large & sell fresh food/ready meals. We'll see - no prawn sandwiches though...
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:16 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Apparently it is supposed to be quite large & sell fresh food/ready meals. We'll see - no prawn sandwiches though...
So I guess the ham salad ones will be a no-show too then.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:26 am
Banned

uk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond repute

the food department is very slightly larger than the one at Deira with a smaller coffee shop serving hot and cold drinks and sandwiches. There is a bakery section but to be honest it's nothing special and a long way to travel for a loaf of bread IMO. The freezer section is same old same old (fish, chips, peas, apple pie etc).

The home section was a real disappointment as I had assumed that they would have really gone to town on this bit given the amount of people buying furniture for their own properties - but alas no.

However, the good news is that the ladies clothes section is huge with a really good selection from all their ranges. Undies section good too.

Kiddies section is slightly bigger than the other two stores. Men's section also slightly bigger with a good selection of suites and shirts.

Service is still in the "training stage" with a 20 minute queue for 2 lattes (coffee machine is too slow and being replaced by a faster one soon - think maybe they might have spotted that earlier?). Also a 25 minute queue to pay for our shopping since one of the tills was acting up and the staff seemed slightly unsure of what they were doing whilst the ones who did know what they were doing were getting stressed out.

The mall itself looked good - lots of natural light. All the other shops are apparently opening on 1st March and you should eventually be able to walk from Ikea through the mall to M&S.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:32 am
W10

Being as nobody shops at Marks and Spencer in the UK, I always wondered why expats miss it so much.

The company used to be propped up by its overseas stories...is it still?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:51 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk4uae
the food department is very slightly larger than the one at Deira with a smaller coffee shop serving hot and cold drinks and sandwiches. There is a bakery section but to be honest it's nothing special and a long way to travel for a loaf of bread IMO. The freezer section is same old same old (fish, chips, peas, apple pie etc).

The home section was a real disappointment as I had assumed that they would have really gone to town on this bit given the amount of people buying furniture for their own properties - but alas no.

However, the good news is that the ladies clothes section is huge with a really good selection from all their ranges. Undies section good too.

Kiddies section is slightly bigger than the other two stores. Men's section also slightly bigger with a good selection of suites and shirts.

Service is still in the "training stage" with a 20 minute queue for 2 lattes (coffee machine is too slow and being replaced by a faster one soon - think maybe they might have spotted that earlier?). Also a 25 minute queue to pay for our shopping since one of the tills was acting up and the staff seemed slightly unsure of what they were doing whilst the ones who did know what they were doing were getting stressed out.

The mall itself looked good - lots of natural light. All the other shops are apparently opening on 1st March and you should eventually be able to walk from Ikea through the mall to M&S.
I'll call you Molsma from now on....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:54 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Being as nobody shops at Marks and Spencer in the UK, I always wondered why expats miss it so much
Maybe it's because plenty of people *do* shop at M&S in the UK

If you could get the full range of M&S food products over here, I'd be pretty happy. Why is it so damned difficult to find a prawn sandwich in Dubai?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:06 am
Banned

uk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond reputeuk4uae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I'll call you Molsma from now on....
Call me what you like - it has never stopped you before
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:17 am